Is anyone comparing Kessel to Crosby anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
Does he or does he not hold the scoring record for the u18s? There is no argument. And Crosby really blew him away in points at the u20s too i bet. On a better team.

Actually, no he doesn't. Kessel scored 16 points in 2005, Ovechkin had 14 goals and 4 assists when he was in the tournament. At the age of 16. ;)

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Gopher is such a homer its sick. Ive watched Kessel play many times this year and he is no Crosby! He is not even the best freshmen in the wcha for what I ve seen. :biglaugh:

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Bryanbryoil said:
I know that I mentioned that Crosby could hit 100 points this year because of Pittsburgh's offensive talent and I was basically laughed at

I suggested a year ago that Crosby could hit 80 points and the great geniuses of HFBoards laughed at me... oh well.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
I hate to burst a lot of peoples bubble's but I'm willing to bet that Kessel doesn't even go 1st overall this year... I think Jordan Stall or Mike Frolik will get to the podium ahead of him.

I've seen him play with the Gophers twice this year and yes, hes a great skater, has a great shot, and seems to have decent hockey sense. From what I've seen, however, he just doesn't seem to compete or work hard enough and doesn't have particularly good vision or anticipation.

IMO Kessel isn't even in Crosby or Ovechkin's league... those who stated otherwise were grossly over-rating him.

Hooter

Apr 27, 2005
HabLover said:
Same age, different draft years and different leagues.

Any comparison anymore or who is better?

there is no comparison and never has been, or at least there shouldn't have ever been one.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
USA! said:
Gopher is such a homer its sick. Ive watched Kessel play many times this year and he is no Crosby! He is not even the best freshmen in the wcha for what I ve seen. :biglaugh:

Who is better?

And yes i am homer. Thats what being a fan is. I love Gopher Hockey. I love the WCHA. I love Minnesota born players.

And i think i basically said that Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby are better overall players. But Kessel has the potential to be a the best offensive talent in awhile. That is not the big of a stretch.

People on these boards are alway hating on NCAA guys and gopher players. Vanek is Brendl 2.0. Some even said that playing in a less physical league then Brendl that Vanek would totally bust because the NCAA is much weaker. Paul Martin. A skinny stick that will need 1-2 years in the AHL before he will have any impact. Keith Ballard. Why was he picked 11th? He is a loose cannon and out of control. Just trade bait and no one wanting to have him because he would a top pick bust. Why was Wheeler picked 5th? What has he done. The who is this TJ Oshie charactor. Brian Lee looks terrible at the u20s why is he so high. Peter Mueller thread to start the season. Is he the most overated prospect out there. Why is everyone so high on Okposo. Who is he again and what does he do. All players with Minnesota ties.

So if i can creat a little stir about Kessel or any player i root for i am going to jump all over it. Is Kessel better than Crosby. No way. But is Wayne Gretzky x10 better than Vincent Lecavalier. People like to hype up Crosby. And that is good. I would be on the hype wagon as well if he played for my team. But at the same time people try and put down or even hate on Kessel and other prospects. Kessel will most likely go #1 in a very good draft. And is a very talented player.

But actully i hope most anti-Kessel guys turn into GMs and let him slip to the wild.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
But is Wayne Gretzky x10 better than Vincent Lecavalier

yes. yes he was. and id say 10x is underating Gretzky and ill thank you not to do it again.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
MN_Gopher said:
Who is better?

And yes i am homer. Thats what being a fan is. I love Gopher Hockey. I love the WCHA. I love Minnesota born players.

And i think i basically said that Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby are better overall players. But Kessel has the potential to be a the best offensive talent in awhile. That is not the big of a stretch.

People on these boards are alway hating on NCAA guys and gopher players. Vanek is Brendl 2.0. Some even said that playing in a less physical league then Brendl that Vanek would totally bust because the NCAA is much weaker. Paul Martin. A skinny stick that will need 1-2 years in the AHL before he will have any impact. Keith Ballard. Why was he picked 11th? He is a loose cannon and out of control. Just trade bait and no one wanting to have him because he would a top pick bust. Why was Wheeler picked 5th? What has he done. The who is this TJ Oshie charactor. Brian Lee looks terrible at the u20s why is he so high. Peter Mueller thread to start the season. Is he the most overated prospect out there. Why is everyone so high on Okposo. Who is he again and what does he do. All players with Minnesota ties.

So if i can creat a little stir about Kessel or any player i root for i am going to jump all over it. Is Kessel better than Crosby. No way. But is Wayne Gretzky x10 better than Vincent Lecavalier. People like to hype up Crosby. And that is good. I would be on the hype wagon as well if he played for my team. But at the same time people try and put down or even hate on Kessel and other prospects. Kessel will most likely go #1 in a very good draft. And is a very talented player.

But actully i hope most anti-Kessel guys turn into GMs and let him slip to the wild.

I really don't think the entire membership of HFBOARDS is out to get you or Gopher players. Every prospect gets criticized and a lot of times it is fair and somewhat deserved, except it's usually greatly exaggerated.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
From what I ve saw I would say Tj Oshie plays better hockey then Kessel so far this year.A nd a nice thing about Oshie he plays on both ends of the rink.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
USA! said:
Just curious as to who you think is the best freshman in the WCHA? I'm not trying to put you on a pedestal, i'm just curious as to who you really do think is, because I'm also not sure that kessel is the best freshman(so far) in the WCHA.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Le Golie said:
I really don't think the entire membership of HFBOARDS is out to get you or Gopher players. Every prospect gets criticized and a lot of times it is fair and somewhat deserved, except it's usually greatly exaggerated.
Another thing that needs to be remembered is that the people that are being realistic about Kessel aren't bashing him. I really haven't seen any anti-Kessel people in this thread. Just people who have watched him and aren't ready to name him the next great thing.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think that Kessel is the best freshman. He is a scorer. And in conference only one player, not just freshman, has a better point per game average. Kessel has a healthy lead in freshman scoring. If his points were closer i would go with a guy like Oshie or Skille as they bring other elements to their game. I beileve there is only one freshman over a point a game in conference. And that freshman is an 85 born. Kessel is at 1.50. Where Skille and Oshie are at .6 and .62. And Towes has 3g in 8 games with no assists.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
#66 said:
Another thing that needs to be remembered is that the people that are being realistic about Kessel aren't bashing him. I really haven't seen any anti-Kessel people in this thread. Just people who have watched him and aren't ready to name him the next great thing.

Why would Pens fans, at least, bash him? If things continue as they have he may very well be playing along side of Crosby. ;)

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
Why would Pens fans, at least, bash him? If things continue as they have he may very well be playing along side of Crosby. ;)
kessel-crosby-malkin...umm ok

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
MN_Gopher said:
I think that Kessel is the best freshman. He is a scorer. And in conference only one player, not just freshman, has a better point per game average. Kessel has a healthy lead in freshman scoring. If his points were closer i would go with a guy like Oshie or Skille as they bring other elements to their game. I beileve there is only one freshman over a point a game in conference. And that freshman is an 85 born. Kessel is at 1.50. Where Skille and Oshie are at .6 and .62. And Towes has 3g in 8 games with no assists.
What about Cogliano?

Phil Kessel, Minnesota
12 Games Played
6 Goals, 10 Assists
16 Points

Andrew Cogliano, Michigan
11 Games Played
7 Goals, 9 Assists
16 Points

It looks like Michigan scores more than Minnesota but I've seen a few people argue that Cogliano has been more impressive than Kessel so far this season.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Cerebral said:
What about Cogliano?

Phil Kessel, Minnesota
12 Games Played
6 Goals, 10 Assists
16 Points

Andrew Cogliano, Michigan
11 Games Played
7 Goals, 9 Assists
16 Points

It looks like Michigan scores more than Minnesota but I've seen a few people argue that Cogliano has been more impressive than Kessel so far this season.
We're just talking WCHA here.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Le Golie said:

I know but to me and maybe it is just me. But when a canadian or CHL guy is getting critized it seems like there is half a dozen on one side and six on the other. I would say half the people out there are are on or against a guy like Schremp and others. But when it comes to NCAA players it seeme like its 10 on 2. So my big mouth has to sound like 6 or so people to even it out.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
#66 said:

Actually, I doubt there are all that many people who have seen Kessel play. There's a herd mentality here where one person (usually of dubious reliability) starts an anti- (name the player) chant and the sheep follow. I've seen every Gopher game (that's been televised) and I can say with 100% certainty that most of the negative comments being expressed about Kessel are inaccurate (such as his hockey sense and passing ability).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mackattack said:
I hate to burst a lot of peoples bubble's but I'm willing to bet that Kessel doesn't even go 1st overall this year... I think Jordan Stall or Mike Frolik will get to the podium ahead of him.

I've seen him play with the Gophers twice this year and yes, hes a great skater, has a great shot, and seems to have decent hockey sense. From what I've seen, however, he just doesn't seem to compete or work hard enough and doesn't have particularly good vision or anticipation.

IMO Kessel isn't even in Crosby or Ovechkin's league... those who stated otherwise were grossly over-rating him.

Frolik? What has he done this year to deserve vaulting past Kessel? How is Jordan Staal a more dynamic presence than Kessel? The fact is, Kessel has had a great start to his freshman season, and he and the Gophers are getting BETTER as the season progresses.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Right now Crosby has stretched that gap too far to measure. Top 10 scoring in the NHL trumps anything done in College. If you want to put a yardstick beside Kessel compare his success this year with that of other top Collegians in their draft year. Joe Murphy, Craig Simpson, Paul Kariya for instance. If he isn't better than them at the same age he is not likely to be a better pro.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nuck said:
Right now Crosby has stretched that gap too far to measure. Top 10 scoring in the NHL trumps anything done in College. If you want to put a yardstick beside Kessel compare his success this year with that of other top Collegians in their draft year. Joe Murphy, Craig Simpson, Paul Kariya for instance. If he isn't better than them at the same age he is not likely to be a better pro.

Let's just stop the Kessel/Comparison right now. It's pointless until Kessel is a 1st year player in the NHL.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
MN_Gopher said:
Who is better?

Is this a joke? You can honestly say that Kessel has better potential offensively then Malkin Ovechkin or Crosby?

Have you noticed that Crosby as a 16 year old playing in a 19 and year old league in Quebec scored over 2 points per game? and that as a 17 year old he scored over 3 points a game in the 2nd half of the season?
Or maybe that he is playing the best players in the world right now who are an average of likely 27 or 28 and he is still putting up well over a point a game?

For kessel to be even mentioned seriously in this post at 18 years old playing vs other College KIDS he should be putting up about 3-4 points a game.
Dude you take homer to a new height :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad