Is any one else feeling different about this year?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Leafs are better this year and deeper than I have ever seen. They will play lots of hockey this season, well into the playoffs.

Much better depth this year too. And Babcock will be using the depth guys to keep them game ready it seems rather than sitting them for really long stretches

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
this will be their downfall again. All small and timid guys on this team.

That and a weak goalie who will let in a goal at the worst time

According to a Mirtle article in the Athletic, the Leafs are:
*the 5th youngest team in the league.
*18th in height, but all of 73.1 inches vs 73.9 (Vancouver)
*8th in weight @ 203 lbs

By no means a rough and tumble group, but perhaps as a group we might see a bit more jam as they mature?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It is only 4 games, but 1 even strength goal between Kapanen, Tavares and marner? Every other line, including the 4th. line has done better.

Once the Tavares line starts producing we'll see if this team is any different. And Kapanen isn't to blame for two players who supposedly can carry a line by themselves accomplishing almost nothing.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm still betting on the Leafs getting on a mighty roll through the end of October and through November in the wider open hockey of every season's first few months.

The pain comes later, in my opinion, when this group is asked to fight through increased interference and the demands to forecheck/cycle to generate any offense.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
According to a Mirtle article in the Athletic, the Leafs are:
*the 5th youngest team in the league.
*18th in height, but all of 73.1 inches vs 73.9 (Vancouver)
*8th in weight @ 203 lbs

By no means a rough and tumble group, but perhaps as a group we might see a bit more jam as they mature?
Leafs should just officially hire Mirtle and drop the charade .

and setting up excuses in case this soft team gets knocked out early again is pathetic but unfortunately people will buy it

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Mirtle does seem a bit like the ministry of propaganda for the Leafs but there are plenty of alternatives out there, most of them hypercritical of the Leafs. Can't there also be a few homer/apologist media hacks as well?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mirtle does seem a bit like the ministry of propaganda for the Leafs but there are plenty of alternatives out there, most of them hypercritical of the Leafs. Can't there also be a few homer/apologist media hacks as well?

He was the most critical voice of the team at a time where a lot people seemed over the moon with the Leafs in the Burke / Nonis / Carlyle era, especially when they were seemingly doing well with a bad roster.

I'm not sure what there is to completely criticize anyway. I do not like reading Simmons and other various reporters of his ilk, so I just ignore it... seems rather simple.

Reactions: Menzinger and 7even

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The team looks more balanced this season both up front and on the back end.

There tenacity looks amped up this season from last season as well. They do look a little out of sync to start the season but to this is expected when you have 8 new players in the starting lineup any given night. As they adjust to one another, and both Hyman and Dermott come back. I see this team as a better one then last season.

I like the way the 3rd and 4th lines are playing. I like the additions of Micheyev, Kerfoot, Spezza, Petan and Timashov to the forward group. Better suited to Babcock system then previous players holding their spots.

Defense as a whole is much improved. Still a little out of sync, but we have a top pairing that's never played together, a second pairing that played a bit together for team Canada but never for the duration of a season in this system and this many skilled forwards, and we are breaking in a third pairing with one rookie and a couple of spare parts in Holl and Marincin. Once Dermott comes back that D will look great.

I anticipate a quarter of the season to pass by before we truly see this team perform as it can. By this time Andersen will be at the top of his game, and Leafs I believe will be unstoppable.

Much better team then last season. Great job by Dubas

Reactions: stickty111 and kb

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I dunno. Ifeel they are a few games away from chaos in the locker room and abandoning the coach's direction.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Leafs should just officially hire Mirtle and drop the charade .

and setting up excuses in case this soft team gets knocked out early again is pathetic but unfortunately people will buy it

So nice of you to consider the info provided. The article which you dismiss had nothing to do with abilities, it was a breakdown of height, weight, etc., by team in the league. He offered no ‘excuses’, it was my take on the info provided. That you found it pathetic...meh.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Funny, because Mirtle was one of the most critical voices in the Leafs media during the Burke-Nonis years.

Hes fairly consistent in his views on the team

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Funny, because Mirtle was one of the most critical voices in the Leafs media during the Burke-Nonis years.

He also has no credibility in commentating on hockey at all.

Zero experience playing.
Zero experience coaching.
Zero experience scouting.
Zero experience managing.

He's a reporter.

His views are as relevant as an HFBoards poster's.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He should work on getting better interviews from players then.

That's what his job actually entails rather than lending his two cents on matters that he has no practical knowledge of.

I'm willing to bet it's been years since youve even read anything by him

Which is likely true of the folks on here who whine about him so much

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It is only 4 games, but 1 even strength goal between Kapanen, Tavares and marner? Every other line, including the 4th. line has done better.

Once the Tavares line starts producing we'll see if this team is any different. And Kapanen isn't to blame for two players who supposedly can carry a line by themselves accomplishing almost nothing.

That line is worth about $25 million. The guys taking home $22 million should figure it out.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

He's certainly pushing a "progressive" idea about what hockey should be and it aligns well with the Leafs current branding, but this progressive take is generally thin in terms of understanding a lot of the "intangibles" in the game. So many things can't be quantified, so they're dismissed.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
He's certainly pushing a "progressive" idea about what hockey should be and it aligns well with the Leafs current branding, but this progressive take is generally thin in terms of understanding a lot of the "intangibles" in the game. So many things can't be quantified, so they're dismissed.
That is what they were saying in New York a couple of years ago when the Yankees got bounced from the post season.

There are numbers, and there are more numbers, but you cannot measure the heart.

Look at Oakland. Made it to the playoffs again. Loss weakly again. And they are the organization that started the analytics in baseball.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Love the team, can’t stand the coach. It will always be a similar feeling around the team until they fire the ego maniac clown.

Egocock hasn’t been out of the 1st round in almost a decade.

Quoting my post from Monday. Tonight just confirms that it will be more of the same until we fire this egomaniac coach.

Reactions: IPS

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

I think JT is trying, but Marner might need to be scratched a few games.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Marner will perform like Nylanders bad season this season then rebound next season :facepalm:
He'll be nowhere near that bad. He still has 6 points in 5 games this year.

The real issue is that Marner has never been worth almost $4M more than Nylander in terms of talent, and assuming we get a new coach at some point and they start getting similar chances/ ice time (pretty clear that Babcock doesn't trust/like him), then their production will probably be pretty similar.

If they finish the season with similar numbers, even if they're outstanding, Marner will get ripped for the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad