Is any one else feeling different about this year?

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
It feels different this season because for me it's all about playoff success now. It's time to advance in the playoffs. No point in living and dying with every regular season game. They lose, oh well, there is another one in a day or 2. I'd still love to see them to win the division or even the President's Trophy, but that's just window dressing.

I agree, it's all about what happens in the playoffs now, they have made the playoffs 3 straight years now only to lose in the first round in every one of them, and barring any major injuries they will make the playoffs again this year BUT it's time to get over that hump. The expectations are definetly different, they are higher now.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
This is a major issue. I watch a lot of hockey and the Leafs are maybe the only team like this. It saddens me that they tarnish the Maple Leafs’ name.
Apparently it's by design...Dubas has stated before that he will not employ a player for 'face punching' abilities...So unless there is an all -rounder that can drop the gloves ,I guess the Leafs are on their own out on the ice! I don't see this ending well,as long as other teams get away with dirty hits.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
So you will watch all year and not be excited until the 2nd? Sounds like a horrible waste of time.

Firstly I don’t watch every single game, in any given year I might fully watch roughly 50% of the games, and follow the rest on the score app.. just how it is with my work and other life obligations.

My point is that I won’t get hyped until this team actually does something of note, that doesn’t seem out of the ordinary at all to me.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Apparently it's by design...Dubas has stated before that he will not employ a player for 'face punching' abilities...So unless there is an all -rounder that can drop the gloves ,I guess the Leafs are on their own out on the ice! I don't see this ending well,as long as other teams get away with dirty hits.
Or clean hits like we saw last night.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
I want to think that this year is different, but honestly I don’t think we are ready to beat the Bolts or Bruins in 7 games. Something is still missing and I am trying to find out what.

Reactions: mikeyz

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Yet here you are pouring out your heart on fan board. I'm thinking there's a fair bit of emotional investment in you.

Hardly.

Game 7 of last season was the final straw for me. I am merely giving advice to anyone who is still emotionally invested in the team.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
So you will watch all year and not be excited until the 2nd? Sounds like a horrible waste of time.

You can watch without being excited.

It’s a “expect the worst and hope for the best” kind of approach. It’s kind of like how I am right now too TBH with you.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Deeper lineup but the end result will be the same with Babcock in charge.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You can watch without being excited.

It’s a “expect the worst and hope for the best” kind of approach. It’s kind of like how I am right now too TBH with you.
Regular season is mostly just entertainment...cheering what you like and dissing what you don't like,etc...It is why we are here! I don't really care where they finish ,as long as they get to the dance,but hopes are for playoff success and ultimately the Cup!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
My theory that a certain part of this fanbase has more fun being miserable and hating the team rather than cheering for it certainly seems to be holding up lol

Reactions: Duckrider

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I want to think that this year is different, but honestly I don’t think we are ready to beat the Bolts or Bruins in 7 games. Something is still missing and I am trying to find out what.
On just pure production, Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point are as good (if not better) than Matthews, Tavares, and Marner. Except that Tampa pays a combined 27.5 of cap space this year on their three, and the leafs pay 33.6 million on their three.

That six million in extra space is the "missing" thing you're searching for.

Imagine right this moment that Dubas had an extra 6 million to fill in holes. That's what Tampa has.

Reactions: Rogue

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Absolutely it should have garnered a response but they have no men on the team.
I'm not askin for a fighter ,but at least an in your face reply . Let them know that 2 can play that game...cuz these days a lotta players don't look for that type of hit.... Old skool hit? Yeah maybe,but should of been an 'old skool 'response.He easily could of been hurt ,especially with the follow thru fall on top . Oh well,perhaps there will be payback down the road.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
On just pure production, Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point are as good (if not better) than Matthews, Tavares, and Marner. Except that Tampa pays a combined 27.5 of cap space this year on their three, and the leafs pay 33.6 million on their three.

That six million in extra space is the "missing" thing you're searching for.

Imagine right this moment that Dubas had an extra 6 million to fill in holes. That's what Tampa has.
Who is their Willy comparable...Who is their Barrie comparable? They just lost to the Panthers as well,so maybe not so invincible!

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
The playoffs will be where we see if this team is any different. The defense is still soft. Let's see if the new additions will help but can't help but see games like last night and wonder if it's good enough.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who is their Willy comparable...Who is their Barrie comparable? They just lost to the Panthers as well,so maybe not so invincible!
The Panthers are right there with the Leafs and Canadiens

And Carolina just beat TB in OT.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hardly.

Game 7 of last season was the final straw for me. I am merely giving advice to anyone who is still emotionally invested in the team.

LOL......ok, if that helps you sleep at night.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The Panthers are right there with the Leafs and Canadiens

And Carolina just beat TB in OT.
Really is a parity league...difficult to 'pick 'em'. Canes played an OT game last night and come in to face a top rated team in the Lightning today...no way I'm takin the Canes on a bet! Go figure!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Their Nylander is Gourde for almost 2 million cheaper.

In regards to defense, their D looks substantially better than ours... for just a mere 3 million more in cap space.
Gourde is what...late 20's and really a stretch to say he is of Willys caliber(I know who I would take!) As far as the money goes...It isn't like the Leafs are in debt or something...they are also carrying younger stars who have been paid for their potential(which I'm not a fan of) . Presidents trophy maybe went to their heads last year...wouldn't want to figure that one out ! Also,they just lost again to a tired Canes team...Maybe they should spend more money!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Really is a parity league...difficult to 'pick 'em'. Canes played an OT game last night and come in to face a top rated team in the Lightning today...no way I'm takin the Canes on a bet! Go figure!
On the other hand TB played in Miami yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad