Is any one else feeling different about this year?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's the most optimistic I've been about a season since the very early 2000s.

Last years playoffs was a gold wakeup call/learning experience for the young guys who seem a lot more mature/focused on the ice. You also have the fact that there are zero lingering major contract issues moving forward and everyone was at camp ready to go.

And on top of that, the teams Biggest weakness last year (special teams) seems to be fixed (so far).

Feeling pretty good

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I htink so and I have a good feeling about this year but once they show they can win after x-mas when things tighten up I'll feel more confident

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs are off to a good start and I'm expecting big things, but would just caution that we've only played Columbus and Ottawa, two teams who will likely be in the mix for the Lafreniere pick. And yes, I thnk CBJ takes a big step back this year.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I htink so and I have a good feeling about this year but once they show they can win after x-mas when things tighten up I'll feel more confident

This.

I definitely have more confidence in this group, but time will tell if they can execute a playoff style brand of hockey successfully. I think they can.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Bring on the dull month of January when Babs tried to get the boys to tighten up more

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Team needs time to gel...lotsa new faces...same talent core. The only immediate concern I have is that not one team-mate retaliated on the Weber blindside hit on JT...I know it was legal,but it was also dirty. No response,no one even questioning Weber or looking to return the favor. Other teams will definitely take note of this lack of response...not good!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They should make the playoffs but I don’t see them as a legit Cup contender, based on how they are built. I wouldn’t be shocked if they missed either.

I had hoped guys like Harpur, Agostino and Marchment would be in the mix but they’re not the answer leaving them quite vulnerable.

Reactions: mikeyz

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Team needs time to gel...lotsa new faces...same talent core. The only immediate concern I have is that not one team-mate retaliated on the Weber blindside hit on JT...I know it was legal,but it was also dirty. No response,no one even questioning Weber or looking to return the favor. Other teams will definitely take note of this lack of response...not good!

This is a major issue. I watch a lot of hockey and the Leafs are maybe the only team like this. It saddens me that they tarnish the Maple Leafs’ name.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think the pieces are in place for us to challenge for the President's Trophy. On paper, it's a very very good team. If we're not a 100+ point team, something went wrong.

You're probably right about that, but I want playoff success this year, and not just winning the 1st round. Our young stars have their contracts & big bucks and we've assembled a talented group of players. We have the numerous advantages that deep pocketed teams have. There's no excuses now.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
4-1 lead turns into a 6-5 loss? Yeeahhhh these are the same old Leafs. Look forward to the canning of Mike Babcock once the Leafs get knocked out in the first round for the FOURTH straight season.

I mean be your own fan but I’ve seen this story once too many times, I’m not getting excited about anything until they prove they can win a round, I mean it’s been nearly 20 years ffs, this group as it stands has no credibility and shouldn’t be considered favourites for anything.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Even after the win vs Columbus, I said that this 2-0 start was fools gold and people shouldn’t get over excited. I thought that there was too many large pockets of that game, I felt Columbus dictated the game and had the Leafs hemmed in their end. Plus, that first game against Ottawa, they let them hang around way too long and were extremely lucky Ryan was offside on that goal called back, or else that game could have ended MUCH different. And obviously we saw what happened in the 3rd period last night.

I still think that this team is too soft, especially along the boards and are vulnerable to an aggressive forecheck. And that’s what they’re going to see in the playoffs.

So, no. This year doesn’t feel different.

I am at a point right now with this team where my emotional investment is gone until they prove it to me.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Eh, I think last night's game is one of those games that humble the team and lead to more wins down the road.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
4-1 lead turns into a 6-5 loss? Yeeahhhh these are the same old Leafs. Look forward to the canning of Mike Babcock once the Leafs get knocked out in the first round for the FOURTH straight season.

I mean be your own fan but I’ve seen this story once too many times, I’m not getting excited about anything until they prove they can win a round, I mean it’s been nearly 20 years ffs, this group as it stands has no credibility and shouldn’t be considered favourites for anything.

So you will watch all year and not be excited until the 2nd? Sounds like a horrible waste of time.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I was feeling more optimistic about this season right up till our Leafs blew last night's game and lost a valuable point to a division rival.

Same shit, different year, with a supposed upgraded and highly paid team!

Their 1 $10.0M player beat our 4 $10.0M players. Embarassing IMHO. No excuses are acceptable.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It feels different this season because for me it's all about playoff success now. It's time to advance in the playoffs. No point in living and dying with every regular season game. They lose, oh well, there is another one in a day or 2. I'd still love to see them to win the division or even the President's Trophy, but that's just window dressing.

Reactions: Plat87 and Kurtz

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It feels different this season because for me it's all about playoff success now. It's time to advance in the playoffs. No point in living and dying with every regular season game. They lose, oh well, there is another one in a day or 2. I'd still love to see them to win the division or even the President's Trophy, but that's just window dressing.

Agree with you. To me the regular season this year won't be much different than the preseason in terms of its relevance. All we need is a playoff seed and that should be pretty easy. The game changes and gets much tougher in the playoffs. Playoffs baby, playoffs.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I am at a point right now with this team where my emotional investment is gone until they prove it to me.

Yet here you are pouring out your heart on fan board. I'm thinking there's a fair bit of emotional investment in you.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Still feel like we are missing that no nonsense leader... who is willing to throw the team under the bus after a poor game.

Malkin roasted his team for a had effort in game one this year. Game two Crosby fought Dubois for a high hit on Guentzal.

Chara was like that/past his prime now, Crosby can be like that...he may be quiet and boring during scrums but Crosby is pesky and hardworking on the ice and he's often trash talking with opposing players and his passion sometimes turns into fights.

All our players skate away from scrums, from big hits and rarely engage in passionate arguments with opposing players.

I like Tavares....but I dont see the leadership qualities outside of being well spoken, mature and skilled. He looks like he might fall asleep sometimes out there.

But then again I was fortunate to watch the Gary Roberts, Tucker, Domi era...where passion/emotion, toughness was never an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad