Speculation: Is a possible rebuild/retool coming?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
The Atlantic had senators, sabres and wings so the Canadian division was strong enough

...and we can't beat the Sens or the Wings, going by recent history, and even the Sabres give us a hard time...what does that tell you about us and the Atlantic Division...

I do see the glass half full. Suzuki, caufield, Romanov, kk, support the future. Toffoli, Anderson, and Gallagher solidify today and veteran leadership remains from petry , danault, Weber and price provide great veteran leadership. I am excited for the future

...I'm not referring to the pieces we have; I like our kids and we have more prospects I'm excited about...I'm talking about the Management of this Organization over the last 25+ years that has turned the Pride of the NHL for it's first 75 years into a mediocre afterthought...

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think it will either be a team in transition that lacks either character or attitude or a team retooling that lacks either character or attitude. We will see which bs pops up on the wheel of excuses after this years spin.

Reactions: Gamimenos

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
The North had ZERO teams you could unarguably put in the league's top 10 if divisions were normal and no team in the North has a top 10 defense+goalie. Looking simply at the bottom teams is a failed, shortsighted analysis that doesn't recognize the true problem; every division has weak teams, but there's no high end team in the North.
So Toronto would not be to 10 ? Oilers without an NHL goaltender is top ten in wins. So zero is a pretty poorly constructed argument? Unarguable? What a joke. The division has the leagues and worlds best player , the reigning league mvp and vezina winner and the top goal scorer. What cream puff response do you have for that ?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So Toronto would not be to 10 ? Oilers without an NHL goaltender is top ten in wins. So zero is a pretty poorly constructed argument? Unarguable? What a joke. The division has the leagues and worlds best player , the reigning league mvp and vezina winner and the top goal scorer. What cream puff response do you have for that ?

Listen, even if I try to show you what I see, your mind is already made-up and you'll be hiding away next season once you get to see the difference.

Look at the other divisions. I'd take any other division's top 3 teams over the top 3 in the North.

I mean, it's rather meaningless to argue with you when you come up with your "edmonton wins" argument. You do realize they had those wins inside the division, so saying they're top 10 in the league is a red herring as their accrued numbers were NOT against all the teams. It's just a complete lack of logic.

See ya next year.

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
We've seen all there is to be seen from Mr. Bargain. 9 years is enough. We need another management to bixxh on. It ain't fun anymore. Molson has to sell the team to PKP... That would be real fun!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Hey d head they are in the playoffs. It is a substantive argument. But then again facts don’t really matter to you

Like the fact that no single team in the North were in the top 10 in the league last year (and that's with losing Klefbom this season). Oops, I guess you should've shut up instead of putting that foot into your mouth.

Or the fact no team in the north had anything close to top 10 numbers defensively last year? Oops, you did it again.

Who was added that suddenly turned any of those 7 teams into a top 10 team in the league?

Stop making snides remark as you're completetly oblivious to the changing context and its impact.

wE mADe tHe PlaYOffS sO I'M rIgHt!

Reactions: Rapala and barbu

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Listen, even if I try to show you what I see, your mind is already made-up and you'll be hiding away next season once you get to see the difference.

Look at the other divisions. I'd take any other division's top 3 teams over the top 3 in the North.

I mean, it's rather meaningless to argue with you when you come up with your "edmonton wins" argument. You do realize they had those wins inside the division, so saying they're top 10 in the league is a red herring as their accrued numbers were NOT against all the teams. It's just a complete lack of logic.

See ya next year.
Hey I just watched the game. In your fantasy, made up ,pink sky world they would or could not have success. The rest of us in the real world watching the team compete this year. You can continue to fantasize on some goofy rhetoric of what the pink sky world you can create makes you right until of course your mom says enough internet and get back to dining your homework . Good luck on your next future fantasy

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Hey I just watched the game. In your fantasy, made up ,pink sky world they would or could not have success. The rest of us in the real world watching the team compete this year. You can continue to fantasize on some goofy rhetoric of what the pink sky world you can create makes you right until of course your mom says enough internet and get back to dining your homework . Good luck on your next future fantasy

...so you just don't understand hockey...OK, good to know...and Mom jokes, soo last century...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Zero counter arguments. Just baseless attacks. That the North is overall weak is not a fantasy, it's a reality. Proven by last year's stats and will be further proven next season.

It's funny how you said I no facts and when I post them, you react by saying it's a fantasy. The only fantasy here, kid, is that the habs would've made the playoffs in normal divisions this year.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Hey Bergy!

Redirect Notice
url

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
As long as Carey has the desire to win you go for it. I'd be okay with seeing a season or two where we go all in as a darkhorse team to give him a real shot, he deserves it.

Reactions: frapp10

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
This is all speculation. Even depends on what management looks like also.

But I've seen on here and on the trade forum that Montreal has a higher chance of letting all UFAs walk Tatar and Danault. There is Staal / Armia / Perry outside the top 6.

If all those players were to walk plus lose a player to Seattle let's say it is Allen. The roster could look very young next season. This is part of where I think when Elliott Friedman reported 3 weeks ago that Bergevins future was being discussed. Because signs are pointing to a rebuild or retool. Outside of Toffoli. Montreal doesn't have that great odds of signing marquee guys in the offseason. Anderson and Edmundson were basically Montreal acquired their rights and negotiated right away.

With all that in mind and again say Allen goes to Seattle, the roster would look like this:

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield
Anderson Kotkaniemi Gallagher
Byron Evans Drouin
???? Poehling ????
Ylonen

Edmundson Petry
Romanov Weber
Kulak Chiarot
Brook Fleury

Price
Primeau

Again all depends on who is in management come this offseason. Also depends again the odds seem to say they let all the UFAs walk based on their asking price and needing to also bring in more scoring.

Do you guys see a re-tool/rebuild?

As long as geoff molson is the owner as well as the fans going to the bell center, you will still get the same old cassette: A couple of good average players with many plugs thst play conservatively.

Thank you and come again

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, another loss and we don't score when we make the playoffs. This team is built on their top 2 paid players.. $18m worth. Obviously it's not working.

I wish with all my heart that they at least try to make it fun for us but it's not looking good. Yes, we are only down 2-1...

When the obvious comes reality, now what?

The only UFA is Perry that we keep. Maybe give a 2 year contract to Ovie.

I'm done with Bergevin.... he needs to go. Remember this GEM in 2013:

"You don't build a team through free agency or trades, you build it through the draft. And you need to be patient with these guys. Look at the teams that have success, like Chicago. The core of their players, most of them came through the draft. And it took years for them to become the elite team they are now. It's not a secret recipe, how to build a hockey team."

Hum... It won't get better.

I do love our Kids on this team. Suz, Kokot, Cauf, Rom ...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We gonna have a young team and thats allright. The League contain a lot of young player. We need veterent like toffoli and edmundson paid for what they bring and thats allright. In a cap era. The major mistake would be to resign Tatar 5 millions on 4 years because he made 30 points. This guys doesnt move a needle at all and produce because of his quality icetime. Thats it. I prefer to overpay a guy like douggie hamilton on ufa market than signing those player.

For average age, we’re the 6th oldest team in the league this season. We have a few young parts, but overall, we don’t have a bunch of young players growing together and as long as that continues, we’re going absolutely nowhere. They’ll continue signing overpriced plugs in the offseason and trying to squeak into the playoffs. It’s just the sad pathetic truth about where this organization has wound up.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1