Speculation: Is a possible rebuild/retool coming?

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
They are blowing this team up this summer.

100% sure.

MB is out, DD is out.

Price gone, Weber gone, Tatar gone, Danault gone, Drouin gone, Armia gone.

I wouldnt be surprised if KK is out as well.

I have no idea who is going to take the office job, but this person needs a new vision, and have the balls to go with it.

Molson is a pencil pusher, doesnt know shit about the sport. All he cares about is corporate $ and corporate (edit) fans.

Going to be a big summer!

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
You could even add Byron’s name the year or two before

But Bozovin does what Bozovin does -fail to see when a player played above his head and not cash in

Instead he double downs on them and slowly watches their value whittle to nothing while also paying them a ridiculous salary

Yeah Byron's a good one too that I was not too happy with his contract. Not super damageable long-term so did not irk me as much as Gallagher/Tatar (if Tatar gets an extension)
Petry is another valuable piece that I was on the fence about capitalizing on his value, but you still need some solid vets on the team.

Now I hope we don't keep Danault. At this point he's an "internal rental" for the playoffs and not doing great, let him walk.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It all comes down to that dipstick Molson.

There have been opportune times to rebuild and he has chosen to keep trying for the post season. The only times " retool" came up was when were particularly bad and no chance to make the play offs.

Would have been nice to have a C prospect pool like LA, but I think Suzuki at least is a top 6C. Still very much have hopes for KK.

We desperately need a rebuild on D and need PMDs now.

From our UFAs I hope Danault stays , at no more than $5.5M. Also Perry, maybe Armia but the money can't go up much at all.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

100% sure.

MB is out, DD is out.

I have no idea who is going to take the office job, but this person needs a new vision, and have the balls to go with it.

Molson is a pencil pusher, doesnt know shit about the sport. All he cares about is corporate $ and corporate (edit) fans.

Love the optimism, but they made the playoffs in a "legit" way this year (no Covid-tournament, just a favorable division). I think Molson sees it as success, especially if Price can win another game or two against the Leafs and the series is not an obvious blowout.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

100% sure.

MB is out, DD is out.

I doubt Molson will blow-up the roster. He might change management, but I'm sure he'll try to milk the most he can and keep the same strategy until it completely blows-up in his face and we've lost all opportunities to cash-in on older players

Reactions: cphabs

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Love the optimism, but they made the playoffs in a "legit" way this year (no Covid-tournament, just a favorable division). I think Molson sees it as success, especially if Price can win another game or two against the Leafs and the series is not an obvious blowout.

There's nothing legit about making the playoffs in the North. How favorable the division is, is not even remotely comparable to previous instances of a favorable division, as teams spent only 25-30% of their schedule vs division rivals, whereas on top of being in a weak division this year, they play ALL their games vs them. That's a significamt difference from what we'll see next year. Molson will only be delaying what will most inevitably happen next season anyway.

Unless there's a miracle trade or signing, the roster will be worst next year as we're bond to lose at least one of Tatar and Danault, if not both, plus another roster player in the exp-draft. With divisions back to normal, we'll witness further decline from our 10 year average. We'll be lucky if we hit ,500.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
There's nothing legit about making the playoffs in the North. How favorable the division is, is not even remotely comparable to previous instances of a favorable division, as teams spent only 25-30% of their schedule vs division rivals, whereas on top of being in a weak division this year, they play ALL their games vs them. That's a significamt difference from what we'll see next year. Molson will only be delaying what will most inevitably happen next season anyway.

Unless there's a miracle trade or signing, the roster will be worst next year as we're bond to lose at least one of Tatar and Danault, if not both, plus another roster player in the exp-draft. With divisions back to normal, we'll witness further decline from our 10 year average. We'll be lucky if we hit ,500.

I see real potential for MB to be fired during or after next season. But from their twisted narrative this year is a success, even if we all know that we were gifted a chance to compete for a playoff spot

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
It all comes down to that dipstick Molson.

There have been opportune times to rebuild and he has chosen to keep trying for the post season. The only times " retool" came up was when were particularly bad and no chance to make the play offs.

Would have been nice to have a C prospect pool like LA, but I think Suzuki at least is a top 6C. Still very much have hopes for KK.

We desperately need a rebuild on D and need PMDs now.

From our UFAs I hope Danault stays , at no more than $5.5M. Also Perry, maybe Armia but the money can't go up much at all.
I liked your post until I read sign Danault for max 5.5 million.

Reactions: Tyson and yianik

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

100% sure.

MB is out, DD is out.

First this would be exciting. Where's the link?

Second, Molson was actually a pretty good hockey player. He played competitive hockey his whole childhood. He certainly is a fan and knows the game.... of course I hope he doesn't think he knows how to run a team... that would be disastrous.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I liked your post until I read sign Danault for max 5.5 million.

Lol, I understand. If you are going to pay a 3rd liner , it has to be at C, and the money is about right relatively speaking as he is at the top 3C level ( $4M) into the top 6C. Also assumes our game will be to run three scoring lines.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Very doubtful that the Habs starts selling all their vets like Petry Weber, Price ect. We have some kids really close to make it in Poehling, Ylonen and you still have Harvey-Pinard that is close too IMO. Also, since Drouin has 0 value, he should be back next year, no way Bergy trade him away for nothing.

Habs could sign 1 or 2 guys as well, so we are not in bad shape at all. Personally I would go hard after Krejci (1 or 2 yrs)...

Caufield Suzuki Anderson

Drouin Krejci Gallagher

Toffoli KK Ylonen

Byron Poehling Evans\Lehkonen

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

100% sure.

MB is out, DD is out.

That's called wishful thinking. But there's no way it happens. Why would you sign Edmundson, Toffoli and Anderson long term if that's your goal....If they do it, and do it right...fine. Yet, it will AGAIN show that there was never a plan even though we know that already.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

They finished 18th in the league. To my knowledge this is a record i don't recall a team making the playoffs while finishing 19th. But yeah i agree Molson and MB will see this as a success and keep going. For me considering how weak the north division is anything less than a semis with a good fight against the Avs or Knights (6-7 tight games) wont be a success.

Last edited:
Reactions: abo9

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We needed to trade Tatar/Gallagher when they were at the peak of their value in last season's TDL, but of course we wanted to "contend" somehow.

The two guys that surely had an insane value at the deadline 2020 were Gallagher and Petry. Both had one year remaining. Both contract were pretty good value and they were both at their peak. The team acquiring them had them for two payoffs runs at their peak and had 1 year and a half to evaluate if they wanted to extend them or not. Perfect storm. I can only dream of what both would have returned.

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
I answered the poll but really the choices are inadequate. No matter what, it all start with Molson firing himself. If he wanted a rebuild he had plenty of opportunities before - this is not Bergevin's call.

And now that we made the playoffs, no matter how weak the division, I can't see him cleabing house even if it's the right thing to do.

Reactions: Gravity

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007

Disagree they earned the playoff spot

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Does this team need to rebuild? Absolutely. Will it happen? I don't see Molson doing a rebuild when they haven't played in front of fans for a year and a half. Geoff will want the cash haul from playoffs once fans can return in full.

On the contrary that would be the perfect timing. Fans are so hungry to go watch a hockey game they wouldn't mid to see a young team losing.

But yeah, that won't happen because of Mr Moron in charge

Reactions: cphabs and Zam Boni

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Disagree they earned the playoff spot

...by losing their way into the reworked postseason because of a Global Pandemic for the 2nd year in a row??...seriously low expectations...remember the teams we had even back in the late 80's - early 90's??...the ones everyone expected to contend...don't you miss those days??...

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
I answered the poll but really the choices are inadequate. No matter what, it all start with Molson firing himself. If he wanted a rebuild he had plenty of opportunities before - this is not Bergevin's call.

And now that we made the playoffs, no matter how weak the division, I can't see him cleabing house even if it's the right thing to do.
The Atlantic had senators, sabres and wings so the Canadian division was strong enough

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The Atlantic had senators, sabres and wings so the Canadian division was strong enough

The North had ZERO teams you could unarguably put in the league's top 10 if divisions were normal and no team in the North has a top 10 defense+goalie. Looking simply at the bottom teams is a failed, shortsighted analysis that doesn't recognize the true problem; every division has weak teams, but there's no high end team in the North.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
...by losing their way into the reworked postseason because of a Global Pandemic for the 2nd year in a row??...seriously low expectations...remember the teams we had even back in the late 80's - early 90's??...the ones everyone expected to contend...don't you miss those days??...
I do see the glass half full. Suzuki, caufield, Romanov, kk, support the future. Toffoli, Anderson, and Gallagher solidify today and veteran leadership remains from petry , danault, Weber and price provide great veteran leadership. I am excited for the future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad