Speculation: Is a possible rebuild/retool coming?

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
A) I don’t think Molson fires MB
B) If we somehow get a new GM, expect more of the same from Molson. We know he doesn’t want to rebuild in fear of losing $ even tho 90% of fans seem to support it. His choice for a new GM will be someone who sells him on the idea that “we can do a quick retool and be an annual playoff team where anything can happen”
C) this team needs a new owner if you ever REALLY expect to see a proper rebuild.

whatevs

May 25, 2021
B) If we somehow get a new GM, expect more of the same from Molson. We know he doesn’t want to rebuild in fear of losing $ even tho 90% of fans seem to support it. His choice for a new GM will be someone who sells him on the idea that “we can do a quick retool and be an annual playoff team where anything can happen”
C) this team needs a new owner if you ever REALLY expect to see a proper rebuild.
Although I'm not a fan of his, I wish Pierre-Karl Péladeau had bought the Habs.

There's no way he would have been content with shooting for an 8th place finish year in year out.

Just enough of a megalomaniac to despise losing for fear it would rub off on him but not crazy enough to go full-blown Mike Milbury and clean house every time the team loses 2 in a row.

Molson's the type of guy who is proud when we miss the playoffs by 11 points instead of 28.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Although I'm not a fan of his, I wish Pierre-Karl Péladeau had bought the Habs.

There's no way he would have been content with shooting for an 8th place finish year in year out.

Just enough of a megalomaniac to despise losing for fear it would rub off on him but not crazy enough to go full-blown Mike Milbury and clean house every time the team loses 2 in a row.

Molson's the type of guy who is proud when we miss the playoffs by 11 points instead of 28.
Right now, it would seem anyone, I mean anyone but the Mol$on$ would have been better owners. The ENTIRE organization needs to change it's philosophies. Starting with Geoff Money Bags Mol$on. And then it just trickles down. The whole crew have to go............they just have to.............The EXCUSES that have been rolling out of Bergevin over a 5-6 yr period tells me he has verbal diarrhea......his brain is mush. He is so flawed in his decision process, he makes Wile E Coyote look smart.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Make room for the kids. Unclog the depth chart from all those ok players. Suck more for a year or two in order to be able to hope for better someday.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We should try to trade price to the pens.
Price holds all the cards........don't think he would go there...he wants a Cup...Thinking maybe the Avs.
He might just want out after this season.....no way he stays for the proper type of rebuild, and if he has a good season we stay a bubble team.....rinse and repeat.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Price holds all the cards........don't think he would go there...he wants a Cup...Thinking maybe the Avs.
He might just want out after this season.....no way he stays for the proper type of rebuild, and if he has a good season we stay a bubble team.....rinse and repeat.
The pens should have beat the isles but for their crappy goaltending

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
A new owner won't happen for many years to come, unfortunately. What they need is a capable President of hockey ops, probably an ex hockey player that has a direction to go and that is not stuck in 1994. The link between the owner, the GM and the fans. Something that has been terribly missing since Pierre Boivin left, I remember when this team had an identity, not anymore.

Now as we see it, it's Bergevin and Molson's game and both are incompetent. With a President, Molson might remove his dirty hands from management decisions, hopefully.

Reactions: BLONG7

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
We've had an expansion of two teams over thirty, after more than 15 years being static.

Rapidly expanding in my book is more like going from 6 to 30 in the span of thirty years.
Hmm, good point. Is there a professional sport that HAS expended by 6 franchises in 30 years?

whatevs

May 25, 2021
Right now, it would seem anyone, I mean anyone but the Mol$on$ would have been better owners. The ENTIRE organization needs to change it's philosophies. Starting with Geoff Money Bags Mol$on. And then it just trickles down. The whole crew have to go............they just have to.............The EXCUSES that have been rolling out of Bergevin over a 5-6 yr period tells me he has verbal diarrhea......his brain is mush. He is so flawed in his decision process, he makes Wile E Coyote look smart.
Reporter: Hey Marc, July 1 has come and gone and we haven't signed any noteworthy player?

MB: Yea, well, you know, at the end of the day, we gotta be careful with free agents, we don't wanna give out contracts and regret it in the future. Gotta have space under the cap to sign our prospects.

Reporter: But the best guy you drafted in close to a decade is Artturi Lehkonen?

MB: Yea, well, you know, at the end of the day, drafting is hard and it isn't an exact science.

Reporter: OK then so how about a trade? Are you looking into those?

MB: Yea, well, you know, at the end of the day, trades are hard and good players are simply not available?

Reporter: Since you became Habs GM, several of them have been traded; Matt Duchene, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall...

MB: Yea well, you know, at the end of the day, we won't trade our prospects for short term help.

---

Rinse. Repeat. Forever and ever.

whatevs

May 25, 2021
Reporter: Hey Marc, July 1 has come and gone and we haven't signed any noteworthy player?

MB: Yea, well, you know, at the end of the day, we gotta be careful with free agents, we don't wanna give out contracts and regret it in the future. Gotta have space under the cap to sign our prospects.

Reporter: But the best guy you drafted in close to a decade is Artturi Lehkonen?

MB: Yea, well, you know, at the end of the day, drafting is hard and it isn't an exact science.

Reporter: OK then so how about a trade? Are you looking into those?

MB: Yea, well, you know, at the end of the day, trades are hard and good players are simply not available?

Reporter: But since you became GM of the Habs, several of them have been traded; Matt Duchene, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall...

MB: Yea well, you know, at the end of the day, we won't trade our prospects for short term help.

---

Rinse & Repeat. Forever and ever.[/QUOTE]

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
We need to rebuild. It will probably by default, but we will.

Price and Weber are in their mid thirties.
Gallagher and Petry are going there.

you cant have players in key position that old. Everybody in the last 3-4 years were saying that Webers window was about to close. It has.

blow the roof off.
But they will probably patch in trading Romanov + 1st for a Kris Letang and try again next year with same shit squad.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Also need to move Edmundson ASAP while a bunch of dipshit GMs think his +28 this year means anything.
I think he’s actually been a pleasant surprise. The problem is we have 3 other dman with a similar profile, but they are worse. Chiarot/Weber/Merrill/Edmundson. You can’t have 4 guys like this in a lineup in 2021. Many of us didn’t like the signing for that reason, I know we didn’t have Merrill then, but the point remains. You can’t have half your d-Corp with limited mobility and no puck transition skills. This a recipe from the 90’s and even then it wasn’t a good idea.

I was never a big fan of his, but he has outperformed my expectations. We just didn’t need anymore of that type of player. Eddy and Weber would be fine, but when you have 3-4 guys like that it is no wonder the offence can’t get going. I think the forward group is pretty deep and maybe a bit underrated, but when the d just ring it up glass every possession they are fighting to regain the puck the majority of the time. For the love of good please split Chiarot/Weber, it doesn’t work and never has. They are an atrocious pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad