Is a blue checkmark worth $20 a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Kudos to Musk for distilling Twitter and many other bloated social media companies with a one sentence answer:

ohhh gawd meanwhile he is threatening to fire people and making them work 84 hour weeks right now and managers living at work. I don't believe anything Musk says.

His style of management remains work them like slaves, who cares about their lives outside of work and throw things at the wall and see what sticks. So far he has had polls for if people would pay for the checkmark, a polls for bringing back Vine, etc etc. It's like I don't know, he has no clue what he is doing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
ohhh gawd meanwhile he is threatening to fire people and making them work 84 hour weeks right now and managers living at work. I don't believe anything Musk says.

His style of management remains work them like slaves, who cares about their lives outside of work and throw things at the wall and see what sticks. So far he has had polls for if people would pay for the checkmark, a polls for bringing back Vine, etc etc. It's like I don't know, he has no clue what he is doing.
If they don't like it, they can...get a new job?

Pretty sure one of the richest men in the world does in fact, know what he is doing.

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If they don't like it, they can...get a new job?

Pretty sure one of the richest men in the world does in fact, know what he is doing.
No really he does not seem to half the time and more and more I think it is just luck etc.

And ya let's screw over workers and force them to choose between their jobs and 84 hr weeks and sleeping at work....

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No really he does not seem to half the time and more and more I think it is just luck etc.

And ya let's screw over workers and force them to choose between their jobs and 84 hr weeks and sleeping at work....
Who is working 84 hours? And, oh well if they are. I guess all those free days off they got they are making up for this week. How pathetic a company giving people a free day off a month so they don't get burnt out. That is what is so wrong with this new generation. So f***ing lazy. Don't worry though, i'm sure someone else without a job will be MORE than happy to scoop up their job if they can't handle it.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Who is working 84 hours? And, oh well if they are. I guess all those free days off they got they are making up for this week. How pathetic a company giving people a free day off a month so they don't get burnt out. That is what is so wrong with this new generation. So f***ing lazy. Don't worry though, i'm sure someone else without a job will be MORE than happy to scoop up their job if they can't handle it.

This guy is just begging to be one of daddy Musk's Mars slaves. If you're really lucky he'll buy you a horse when he's done with you.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
ohh buttercup what generation is that? I am GenX.

Again ya let's let the rich take advantage of the middle class that is dying and force them again to work insane hours so they can pay for a roof over their heads and food or to take a hike.

Musk is known as a terrible boss, just like Bezos, both have companies with terrible safety records for workers and often terrible compensation.

Not wanting to work 84 hrs a week or sleeping at the office is not being lazy buttercup. It's wanting to have a life outside of work. Dude massively overpaid for this one and has to do everything he can to make it up and others will suffer because of it.

Musk opens his big mouth and then has to backtrack regularly like how he was going to make Twitter a place of absolute free speech and that he was going to immediately let everyone that was banned come back. After advertisers and users complained he has suddenly changed his tune. He seems so out of touch with reality.

Several Twitter employees told CNBC over the weekend that Tesla employees now at Twitter have been involved in code review at the social network, even though their skills from working on Autopilot and other Tesla software and hardware do not directly overlap with the languages and systems used to build and maintain the social network. These employees asked not to be named because they’re not authorized to talk to the press about internal matters, and feared retaliation.

For example, most engineers in automotive companies, even the tech-forward Tesla, do not have experience designing and operating search engines and platforms that are broadly accessible to the public.

Twitter has multiple code bases with millions of lines of code in each, and myriad 10 million or even 100 million or more queries per second (QPS) systems underpinning it. At Tesla, Python is one of the preferred scripting languages, and at Twitter programmers have used Scala extensively.

Twitter also has more exposure to international regulations around hate speech and data privacy, for example, particularly the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation.

Twitter employees who were there before Musk took over said they have been asked to show his teams all manner of technical documentation, to justify their work and their teams’ work, and to explain their value within the company. The threat of dismissal looms if they do not impress, they said.

The employees said they are worried about being fired without cause or warning, rather than laid off with severance. Some are worried that they will not be able to reap the rewards of stock options that are scheduled to vest in the first week of November, according to documentation viewed by CNBC.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Even worse, he was forced to spend $44 billion on something he didn't actually want.
That's true. It's clear he wasn't serious about the purchase and even when he tried he realized it wasn't as simple as he thought.

Wasn't he the genius behind that PS1 looking car a while back? Homer Simpson had a better looking car.

• Haha
Reactions: Beau Knows

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
:laugh:

So many people triggered by Musk. That's how you know he's doing things right. Keep up the great work! Fire those lazy bums. Starbucks is always hiring, someone has to supply the coffee to the hard workers :nod:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
E0_9F0SXEAEWN_k

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
:laugh:

So many people triggered by Musk. That's how you know he's doing things right. Keep up the great work! Fire those lazy bums. Starbucks is always hiring, someone has to supply the coffee to the hard workers :nod:
Keep licking his boots. Nobody is trigger but not all of us are impressed by him because of his money.

Also coming from a guy that has said for years that crypto would be mainstream by now and is not even close.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
As we all know, the key to being a good businessman is "triggering" people. Warren Buffett famously starts his day by getting McDonald's breakfast and then spends the rest of it shitposting on twitter while calling his employees lazy.

• Haha
Reactions: pistolpete11

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
As we all know, the key to being a good businessman is "triggering" people. Warren Buffet famously starts his day by getting McDonalds breakfast and then spends the rest of the it shitposting on twitter while calling his employees lazy.
I can't even fathom defending work weeks that are longer than 40 hours. That's not living, that's being a slave.

Also it's very amusing that this whole discussion started with $20/month until Stephen King pointed out to Musk how stupid that was.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Keep licking his boots. Nobody is trigger but not all of us are impressed by him because of his money.

Also coming from a guy that has said for years that crypto would be mainstream by now and is not even close.
You seem a bit jelly to be honest. But it's ok. Are you one of the guys he's firing? Legit question.

• Haha

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Dude, you're resorting to 4chan level retorts. Stop. Elon Musk doesn't love you and if you met him on the street he'd push you into an oncoming bus without a second thought.
I respect a man who knows how to run a business. Sorry you don't :dunno: So much dead weight in Twitter, fat needed to be cut off.

• Haha

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You seem a bit jelly to be honest. But it's ok. Are you one of the guys he's firing? Legit question.
No don't work at twitter or any tech company and no he does not really know how to run a business. For a guy who hates to pay his taxes, his companies are alive in large part due to government subsidies and/or programs, government contracts and in spite of the stupidity he does.

Space X has basically one main client, NASA.

Tesla was close, by his own admission, to running out of cash a few times and some years only broke event or made a profit from selling their carbon tax credits. To this day he has to do things like he wants and because of that they cannot produce vehicles to meet demand even though they have been told they could make more with certain changes. They made fancy announcements for new vehicles but can never meet the release dates. Screw over clients all the time and even after all these years have the worst initial quality of any car maker, period.

Boring company and his hyperloop idea has been cut down so much that it is pretty much dead and at least one of them will be destroyed and turned into a parking lot Musk's hyperloop site will be transformed into a parking lot- here's why

Neuralink has done nothing but kill dozens and dozens of primates by trying to implant chips into their brains.

Starlink just lost a huge $900M subsidy because it could not do as promised. SpaceX loses $900 million in rural broadband subsidies - SpaceNews.

And this does not count all the other failed ideas and businesses. So yes, Tesla's over valued stock is keeping him as the richest person in the world but he ain't a good business man. He has twice been ousted from companies he founded or co-founded.

I am not the only one to think this.

Elon Musk has failed at the very thing others seem to believe he is good at: being an entrepreneur, innovator and business leader in a competitive market. His biggest “successes” (Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity) are almost entirely dependent on government subsidies, lobbying efforts and tax magic; they are not profitable in themselves and much of their business risk has been socialized. Rather than exemplifying the “American exceptionalism” Musk is always lauding, these enterprises are poster children for crony capitalism and taxpayer-funded ventures.

Musk advocated for migrating PayPal’s server architecture from Unix to Windows when he was CEO. That was exceptionally idiotic from both a business and technical standpoint (i.e. Windows has not only always been much less scalable, extensible and stable than Unix, it has also been much more expensive to deploy, license and maintain), and frankly brings his other technology choices into serious question.

Musk routinely sacrifices ethics on the altar of his personal vision. For example, SolarCity is probably the most unethical PV installation company in existence, using highly misleading sales tactics to persuade unknowledgeable consumers to commit to what is arguably the worst option available (in terms of bang-for-buck) for their residential solar power. Pro-capitalist folks might argue this is just “business as usual,” and that caveat emptor is the only relevant guideline where exploitation for profit is in play, but in my view ripping people off in the name of green energy is just a form of reprehensible carpet bagging.

So you respect Bill Gates, George Soros, etc?

Ironically a good chunk of the dead weight you speak of comes from the blue checkmarks.
Neither of who is perfect but at least as they got older they have tried to make the world better. How much is debatable.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Well considering Musk has little to no ethics it is not surprising that one of the first groups to get fired was their Ethical AI team

Multiple members of Twitter’s Machine Learning, Ethics, Transparency and Accountability (META) team, including its former leader, posted on Twitter saying they were no longer at the company. At least one of the former workers suggested the entire team was being disbanded. The apparent layoffs impacting the company’s strongest internal watchdog group comes as thousands more brace for cuts potentially impacting around half of the company’s staff according to previous reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad