Is “Four for Four” a Crock of Crap?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Hockey fans in the city aren’t happy radio doesn’t talk hockey. Then radio stations talk hockey but literally are as uninformed as some morons on this website. Hockey fans remain angry. Maybe dedicate some time to your job and learn about every team in this city.

I’m all for bandwagon fans. I love having new people learning/watching the game. Even when they are bandwagon fans and believe they know everything. Good for them. We are all f***ing stupid shits at the end of the day. Do yo thangs playas.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Hockey fans in the city aren’t happy radio doesn’t talk hockey. Then radio stations talk hockey but literally are as uninformed as some morons on this website. Hockey fans remain angry. Maybe dedicate some time to your job and learn about every team in this city.

I’m all for bandwagon fans. I love having new people learning/watching the game. Even when they are bandwagon fans and believe they know everything. Good for them. We are all f***ing stupid shits at the end of the day. Do yo thangs playas.

I disagree. I am so smart.

S-M-R-T.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Philly Sports Radio has always had a weird thing about talking hockey-like it's shameful, somehow.

Me; I don't care for baseball, am a fairweather 76ers fan for sure, love soccer but the Philadelphia Union are so far off my radar I had to stop and think if I got that right calling them the Union for a moment. And frankly, if the Flyer had won the Cup in 2010, I wouldn't care nearly as much about hockey.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I can't claim 4 for 4 in their eyes for a few reasons First being basketball isn't my thing I may go to a game a year but I am not watching it on TV. Secondly I am considered a fraud by most of Philly sports radio as I don't count the locals as my team except for the Flyers. So screw them :)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t really see the point of getting worked up about 97.5/WIP though. They stick with what makes them money & that’s the Eagles. Even as an Eagles fan I have no interest with what they have to say about that either & that’s something they’re at least somewhat invested in.

They appeal to the type of people that watch Stephen A. & Skip Bayless’ shows. That’s not something that appeals to me whatsoever. So I’m not apart of their demographic & that’s totally fine with me.

I’m mostly just a watch live sports games guy but with podcasts & YouTube channels where you find specific discussions about sports or whatever that the people on it aren’t searching high & low for some type of talking point/take to run into the ground.

Last edited:

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic

That seems strange for me, because when I look at Inquirer.com: Philadelphia local news, sports, jobs, cars, homes I see everytime lots of Flyers articles.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Its hard to be 4 for 4 in this city. Our teams are not all that successful. Not Cleveland bad but not Boston/LA good either.
the last 10 yrs have been better than the 10 before that and sports are more popular than ever so youre gonnna get these asinine type debates.

I consider myself 4/4 but i can understand why a local wouldnt be deeply invested in one of the 4.
A lot of the 4/4 stuff comes from the generation that was around in the early 80's to witness all 4 teams be competitive at the same time.
We're sort of angling towards that again so the 4/4 population will grow

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The Flyers being relevant is bitter sweet. It was really fun this week going into work and having people come up to me (I guess because they know me as the Flyers fan) and tell me they watched the games this week...asking me about JVR and just other questions about the team with genuine excitement. This team not only is good...but theyre fun and likable. I love the idea of more people getting into hockey through this team.

The bitter part is the philly talk radio scene. They will feed the public bullshit hot takes and make obnoxious bandwagon fans who will blame G and Hart when the team loses in the ECF...completely ignorant of any context. Or they win the cup and everyone acts like theyve been onboard the whole time.

Reactions: Striiker

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
97.5 and WIP both claim to be 4 for 4 while ignoring the Flyers as a whole. Then they decide they want to get on the wave and get backlash because its bandwagon, especially Missanelli because he has not only actively ignored Flyers fans and the sport as a whole, but disparages, tries to embarrass, and mocks every Flyers fan that calls in on his show.

Both stations can eat a bag of dicks

Reactions: Rebels57 and Defect

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
When you become an adult (sometime around age 28?) it becomes pretty difficult to follow 4 sports.
This is kind of where I'm at. In my early 20's, I followed everything. Now I watch the Flyers, the ocassional baseball game in the Summer, and college football/Eagles games. Even then, my wife swears our life revolves around sports for most of the Fall and Winter.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I am a 4 for 4. Most of my friends are 4 for 4. Legitimately. Some aren’t ties in league wide in all 4 but are all ties in to the Philly teams at least.

hockey on sports radio is a catch 22. The hosts ask for Flyers calls but if someone challenges them on a point or goes too in depth then the call shuts down. You end up with Short obligatory calls for a couple of minutes then back to “Bring back Foles. Wentz can’t win a big game” for 3 hours.

driving to a call with my boss this morning, WIP had the closest thing to legit almost good hockey talk for 39 minutes.
Last Saturday, didinger and Macknow had a decent conversation about whether Hextall would be considered the Ed Wade of the Flyers but I had to my broken pipe.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
This is kind of where I'm at. In my early 20's, I followed everything. Now I watch the Flyers, the ocassional baseball game in the Summer, and college football/Eagles games. Even then, my wife swears our life revolves around sports for most of the Fall and Winter.

20 years of marriage, 4 kids, tons of organized sports...I had to make a sacrifice and it was college sports. I haven’t played a ncaa bracket without just guessing in 18 years. I traded college games for Hanna Montana, desperate housewives, real housewives, sex in the city, the thunder mans and life with Derek just so I could keep my pro sports time.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I used to be, but now it is just basically the Eagles I follow closely and watch all games. Maybe cause it is by far the fewest games. Though if the Phillies were decent they'd be my number 1 interes . Hockey was my favorite sport during my teens and before that it was basketball for a few years. But I like AV, so I've actually watched games this year.

Reactions: SnS

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'm 4/4 but probably more passionate about the Phillies and Sixers than the Flyers and Eagles. Eagles are definitely last, just because I've become less interested in the NFL as the years go by. But I grew up rooting for these teams and I can't see ever stopping. My father, who was a huge Eagles fan, started rooting for the <cough>Patriots</cough> after he retired and moved to Maine in '99 but that will never happen to me. I suppose In theory I'm a Union fan too although I know nothing about them, not having lived in Philly since the '80s and not having family to visit since my parents moved. I've seen all of the big 4 win championships although it sure seems like forever for the Flyers and Sixers.

Reactions: SnS and Lotusflower

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I am really 2/4.

Watch virtually every Flyers and Eagles games.

Basketball bores me. I have watched maybe 2x Sixers games in the last 18 months.
Baseball I should like in theory... sometimes have on in the background... but maybe watched 5x Phillies games in the last 18 months. But cricket is just a lot more fun.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
When you become an adult (sometime around age 28?) it becomes pretty difficult to follow 4 sports.
this for me definately. i have so much more on my plate these days as opposed to when i was that age. for me participation was a huge part of being a fan. like going to games, heading to the bar after work to watch a game, or going to a friends house . now its strait home after work to make sure dinner is finished, the wife is comfortable and the kids are ok. no more clocking out early to catch a game and free time doesnt exist any more, any free time means kids are gone and we try to get "us" time in.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I agree that this happened to me too, but now I find it easier than ever to follow all four teams simply because there are so many readily available quality options for me to spend tiny amounts of time on and be reasonably informed.

If I want to watch a game, I can DVR it and blow through it in 10-40% of the time. If I don’t, I can read a thorough, researched recap in 5 and still understand trends. If it’s baseball, I can even watch a condensed game in under 20 Minutes. When I do want to watch something live, I’ll typically have 4-6 separate games up. It’s not perfect and my knowledge of events won’t be encyclopedic anymore, but it’s enough for me to feel current.

I also don’t sleep, so that’s cheating a bit. But there are so many tools at our disposal now. It just takes a little prep.

Reactions: SnS

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
4 for 4 but not all are Philly teams

Also not a huge MLS fan because I do not think the product is all that good...and the Union is Philly just in name...really should be playing in the city

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't get the people who don't know the first thing about the sport but feel the need to develop heated, deep, and wrong opinions about aspects of their team. It makes no sense to me.

I don't know the first thing about the NBA except that it is more fun to watch now than it was before Golden State showed people that 3 points are worth more than 2. But if I were a Philly radio fan, you better believe I'd be screaming absolute nonsense about the team and players instead of asking if things are good/whether we want them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad