Is “Four for Four” a Crock of Crap?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People actually listen to 97.5?

Kind of funny when their on-air morning hosts openly make it known that they don't give a shit about one of the teams whose games their broadcast (if the Sixers aren't on). We're in an era of sports-talk thanks to ESPN (owners of 97.5) embrace-debate where the most interest is drawn up based on hot takes, and any intelligible hockey fans know that people who aren't hockey-first or even hockey-second people just don't have the depth. I enjoyed Gargano when he was on WIP but since he moved he's just been a caricature, not unlike almost anyone else who works on 97.5. I'm not saying that WIP is the shining city on the hill, but it's interesting that just about anyone who made the jump from 97.5 to 94.1 don't make it very long.

We all know which sports personalities in this town ignore the Flyers on purpose when they're not hot, but just let anyone who wants to jump on the bandwagon get on. Nobody - I mean nobody - would be a Phillies fan in this town otherwise.

Make way more fans that way. When I was growing up, the Flyers were the #2 team in this town unquestionably from the time we got Lindros up to the rise of the Phillies (and thus decline of the Flyers). People waste too much time on purity tests when it's supposed to be fun. Flyers fans know where to go if they want hosted-content that's intelligible whereas none of the other teams' fans in this town do.

patrick kitchin

Feb 26, 2018
Eagles and Flyers I am a diehard fan. Don't miss a game. Sixers and Phillies? Actually basketball and baseball? Eh let me know when the playoffs start then I'll get interested.

More interesting is ranking interest with the city in general. Number one is Eagles. That's easy. 2-4 though?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It is, indeed, a crock of shit. I've literally never heard it discussed outside of their network. You have no obligation to give a f*** about four different professional sports, nor to only give a f*** about four different professional sports teams from the same city.

Petr Svoboda Mullet

Apr 3, 2016
I’d say the majority of Philadelphia sports fans actively support all 4 teams, but to wide, varying degrees.

But I agree, it’s silly. Who’s to say what level of engagement even makes one a fan?

However, if you’re born in the Philadelphia area and root for a team outside of Philadelphia as your primary team, that’s crap and I refuse to accept it.

Reactions: Kermit the Prog

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I’d say the majority of Philadelphia sports fans actively support all 4 teams, but to wide, varying degrees.

But I agree, it’s silly. Who’s to say what level of engagement even makes one a fan?

However, if you’re born in the Philadelphia area and root for a team outside of Philadelphia as your primary team, that’s crap and I refuse to accept it.

My mom is from Cleveland and is a die hard sports fan, growing up going to Indians and Browns games.

But she has been here since I was born, 32 years ago. She has been supporting the Phils ever since. She told me year ago that if the Indians and Phil’s ever made it to the World Series, she would be rooting for the Phils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->