OT: Introducing your 2014-15 Flyers - armchair edition.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Patrick Maroon is doing everything that the Flyers would want out of a hard nosed player and look for in Rinaldo. I would like to thank Greg Gilbert for messing up his career with the Flyers so that we can see him do well in Anaheim.

Didn't Maroon kind of bring his departure form Philly upon himself? Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I thought he was just not working hard and being kind of baby.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
If Schenn can saucer him passes for shots, or takes quality shots on net, or Voracek is willing to shoot... I don't want him (Voracek) trying to replace G and from his side of the ice try to feed across the box to Hartnell. At least G was normally rotating over to that side so Hartnell could push the netminder or float back to the circle for a one-timer -- it wouldn't require a pass across the box when G is with him.

A lot of "ifs" -- Schenn would also have to raise his level of consistency - Hartnell can't carry a line. I see Voracek as piece, more than a stud. Same with Hartnell. Briere was important to him.

His effectiveness would probably continue on the PP unit when he would be reunited with G.

This team needs 5on5 strength though. Ugh. Maybe the line would have chemistry-- but on paper I'm skeptical. It would require Schenn lead that line.

Hartnell - Schenn - Voracek?

Schenn wouldn't have to lead that line at all, it would be Voracek doing most of the lifting with the puck and Hartnell would be doing most of the dirty work. That line would be perfect for Schenn because it would shelter him.

Compare that to Vinny - Schenn - Simmonds where Schenn actually had to do all the work, and he struggled as a result.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
maybe Maroon didn't help his case when he was in the organization but many still feel they gave up on him too quick. He was a young immature kid. Not the first one around here.

Meh, usually you can tell when a guy is or isn't going to change. They have been wrong here, but I've got no problem kicking an immature type of player to the curb if it is that big of an issue (which I only can assume it is).

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
maybe Maroon didn't help his case when he was in the organization but many still feel they gave up on him too quick. He was a young immature kid. Not the first one around here.

We never found out what he did. And even Maroon himself acknowledged that he had to do some serious introspection once the Flyers let him go:

"Last year was a tough go for me," Maroon said after taking on his old club, the Adirondack Phantoms, at the Glens Falls Civic Center on Friday night. "Sitting out like that, being sent home. It's a reality check. You look in the mirror and realize what you did and try to fix it."

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2011/11/14/2556908/patrick-maroon-phantoms-crunch-anaheim-ducks

If it was some typical, petty young player antics, I doubt Maroon would be so candid about having to learn from his mistakes. As much as I would like to have a player like him in our system, the reality is that he likely wouldn't have grown as a player without that reality check.

Good for him for taking it as a learning experience, but I can't fault the Flyers given the set of circumstances that we are aware of (which admittedly is not a whole lot).

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

Sorry but Im sick of people always giving players a free pass using the ''he was young and immature'' excuse while condemning organizations for letting these types of players go. If a player is not working hard and is causing issues they need to go. Im sure Maroon had his chance to straighten up and fly right before they dealt him. He didn't. That's on him, period.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
*******...you could ice a bad-the-****-ass forward core with our forwards drafts alone.

Sharp- Giroux -Carter
Williams- Couturier -van Riemsdyk
Maroon- Richards -Zubrus
Downie- Laughton -Upshall

I think thats correct?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
*******...you could ice a bad-the-****-ass forward core with our forwards drafts alone.

Sharp- Giroux -Carter
Maroon- Richards -Zubrus

I think thats correct?

Upshall was Nashvilles.

Sharp- Giroux -Carter
Maroon- Richards -Zubrus
Downie- Laughton -Fraser

I think Colin Fraser is a pretty darn good player who flys under the radar.

The D would be erm... quite bad though:

Pitkanen-Seidenberg
Woywitka-Sbisa
Picard-Bartulis
(Marshall, Lauridsen, Bruno St. Jaques, Jussi Timonen, David Printz, Mormina, Bertilsson and Bourdon are the best of the rest!)

Good top 2... the rest are 3rd pairing and AHLers.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Sharp- Giroux -Carter
Maroon- Richards -Zubrus

I think thats correct?

Can't have Couturier and Carter.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
Upshall was Nashvilles.

Sharp- Giroux -Carter
Maroon- Richards -Zubrus
Downie- Laughton -Fraser

Pitkanen-Seidenberg
Woywitka-Sbisa
Picard-Bartulis
(Marshall, Lauridsen, Bruno St. Jaques, Jussi Timonen, David Printz, Mormina, Bertilsson and Bourdon are the best of the rest!)

I don't know if he would cut it in the NHL but you could add Denis Bodrov who left the Phantoms because his girlfriend was pregnant.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Upshall was Nashvilles.

Sharp- Giroux -Carter
Maroon- Richards -Zubrus
Downie- Laughton -Fraser

Pitkanen-Seidenberg
Woywitka-Sbisa
Picard-Bartulis

Ha I know dmen are hard to scout on but that is such a big change from Fwd to D drafting. We need to hire some scouts from the preds and draft a super team.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Sorry but Im sick of people always giving players a free pass using the ''he was young and immature'' excuse while condemning organizations for letting these types of players go. If a player is not working hard and is causing issues they need to go. Im sure Maroon had his chance to straighten up and fly right before they dealt him. He didn't. That's on him, period.
I agree with you in principle, but we don't know what happened with Maroon. And if I recall correctly, he wasn't the only player ousted or called out on the team. If it were one player, then I understand getting rid of a bad apple. Because it's multiple guys, maybe the Phantoms were mismanaging.
Ha I know dmen are hard to scout on but that is such a big change from Fwd to D drafting. We need to hire some scouts from the preds and draft a super team.
This also ties into having a poor minor league team for development. I feel like a lot of NHL defensemen rounded out their games by rising through the minor league ranks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad