Vancouver BC
Just upgraded from Internet 50 to Internet 150

5532247752.png

Last edited:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Sidenote, whats the difference between client bridge and repeater bridge? I have my router set up as client bridge, I've looked it up but I can't really find a laymen explanation.

I'm using the router for a pc and nothing else.

Not sure why you're even in bridge mode at all. What kind of router do you have?

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
sorry year 3 I meant the real cost which is 135 or something like that. I doubt anyone pays it. ppl will just complain

Without a contract, you're a fool if you don't switch providers every 6 months.

I've literally saved thousands of dollars between 2008 and today by switching between Telus and Shaw twice a year. Call them up and say you're shopping around, and they're authorized to shave money on plans for you for 3-6 month periods.

Hell, for a couple years running I had free HD channels and a PVR during the hockey season.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Without a contract, you're a fool if you don't switch providers every 6 months.

I've literally saved thousands of dollars between 2008 and today by switching between Telus and Shaw twice a year. Call them up and say you're shopping around, and they're authorized to shave money on plans for you for 3-6 month periods.

Hell, for a couple years running I had free HD channels and a PVR during the hockey season.

shaw is pretty bad now at giving deals I've read the last year or so. telus has been very easy to negociate with.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
shaw is pretty bad now at giving deals I've read the last year or so. telus has been very easy to negociate with.

Shaw will actually cold call you with their newest promotions exactly 6 months after you leave their service. Last year, I got them to shave $15 a month for the first three months on a promotion that already saw me save $40 a month.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've gotten stringier though. It was only a matter of time until they figured out what people like me were up to, and the Internet 150 promotion just reeks of a way to stop us from doing this.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I am connecting multiple routers. My modem is my main router.

Personally I don't use modem's for the main router. ISP provided modems usually suck, so I connect my router to that and connect my devices to my router and connect a wireless bridge to my router in order to connect Ethernet devices in LR and BR. Currently have no need for bridges per se, other than to get Etheret on other rooms, DVR's, my older receiver etc....

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Personally I don't use modem's for the main router. ISP provided modems usually suck, so I connect my router to that and connect my devices to my router and connect a wireless bridge to my router in order to connect Ethernet devices in LR and BR. Currently have no need for bridges per se, other than to get Etheret on other rooms, DVR's, my older receiver etc....

Shaws modems are great. They provide a powerful steady signal, even my phone gets full speed (on 2.4g too) in the basement. I honestly dont think theres a better router on the market than what they have.

Its almost definitely an issue with the other router. Im essentially doing what you're doing, just with one modem/router combo and a router. From what I understand you're using 2 routers and a modem?

As mentioned, I got full speed before, which is why its bothering me so much.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yeah, I just upgraded to Shaw 150 on a promo that gives it to me $20 cheaper than I was already paying for Shaw 100.

No difference as far as gaming as far as I can tell, but those sweet torrents are coming in HOT.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Shaws modems are great. They provide a powerful steady signal, even my phone gets full speed (on 2.4g too) in the basement. I honestly dont think theres a better router on the market than what they have.

Its almost definitely an issue with the other router. Im essentially doing what you're doing, just with one modem/router combo and a router. From what I understand you're using 2 routers and a modem?

As mentioned, I got full speed before, which is why its bothering me so much.

I see. I have my Router connected to my modem and use my bridge to connect to my Router and use it to connect Ethernet to the network. I just used the WPS function to connect the bridge to the router.

Tests I do when having speed problems is to use my phone to connect and do a speed test. One time I found it was my laptop that was having issues. I was connecting with the N instead of AC via my dual band card in my laptop.

Sometimes it's where the laptop actually is that can reduce my speeds. If the speeds are the same whatever and wherever I am I connect a Ethernet available device directly to the Modem and see if the problem is there. Try and nail down where I am actually losing speed and go from there.

I am not at home to check exactly, but on my netgear there is a place to set connection specifics and one of those was max speed on N and AC. Strangely setting my AC at a higher max speed actually reduced the speeds I was getting on my laptop. Go figure.

Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001769K3O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Bridge

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KG44V0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Router

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
lol damn here I am with internet 15 still. but I'm only paying $29 a month. only time it sucks is downloading but gladly wait a little longer.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Man my internet went down 2 days ago and I had to set up my router again, I was getting full speed 55 Mbps before but when i reset it I'm getting this

5529454322.png

Not even close to full speed

It doesn't even affect anything but its just one of those things that annoys you

So I had these troubles, router all of a sudden stopped getting its regular speeds and it was consistently on the 15-20 mbps end, not great speeds for high quality streaming or downloading, not that it was a huge issue just for some very minor things it was an issue.

Anyways, I ditched it and started using a phone that was laying around the house with usb tethering i.e. hotspot, still on my home internet:

5796371275.png

My question is, is there any risks to using this phone as a router as opposed to an actual router?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why do you guys have amazing download but decent upload haha (don't take that haha the wrong way)

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I am about to move out to the country at the end of March and there isn't a whole lot of options available for me to choose from, but it looks like I am going to have to go with a telus smart hub and run off of the 4G cell network.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Why do you guys have amazing download but decent upload haha (don't take that haha the wrong way)

Cable doesn't tend to allocate enough channels for up as they do down. Symmetric is usually fiber only.

Source: Moved and got Comcast, Comcast tech explained the hardware setup causing it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Cable doesn't tend to allocate enough channels for up as they do down. Symmetric is usually fiber only.

Source: Moved and got Comcast, Comcast tech explained the hardware setup causing it.

Makes sense. It's just weird seeing that some have better download speed but worse upload speed then me. I get 100-200 down to 30 up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad