Internet Speed

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
This is actually the one on the wifi, but I did it plugged in yesterday and it wasn't much better (think it was 0.06 instead of 0.04, don't remember the rest but it was still F- and worse than 98%)

It took over 25 hours to DL a 6.3 GB update on Smite (xbox one) with it being plugged in directly.

You cannot download 6.3GB's in 25hrs at .04Mb/S

My math says you actually got 0.56Mb/S

Not great, but not 0.04Mb/s lol.

6.3 Gigabytes = 50,400 Mb or 2,016 Mb per hour or 33.6 Mb per minute or 0.56 Mb per second.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
You cannot download 6.3GB's in 25hrs at .04Mb/S

My math says you actually got 0.56Mb/S

Not great, but not 0.04Mb/s lol.

6.3 Gigabytes = 50,400 Mb or 2,016 Mb per hour or 33.6 Mb per minute or 0.56 Mb per second.

Connection is much stronger through the night

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Going from this, with 400GB data, for $85/month.

5484478763.png

To 150/15, 1TB data, for $50/month.

Pretty happy about that.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I have Frontier in Tx now that they have taken over for Verizon FIOS and while their customer service is absolutely horrid the connection speeds are pretty damn good.

Internet speed package:
150/150 for $70 a month
Download speed is usually around - 105MB/Sec
Upload speed is usually around - 91MB/Sec

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Once you have a reasonable download speed nothing matters. Not only are you at the mercy of the server you hit's ability to serve you at that speed, your provider has the ability to throttle you based on content being retrieved.

Using these services to see what your max download speed is nice, but your provider knows the sites you use and opens you pipe for these sites to fool you.

Sad I know.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Once you have a reasonable download speed nothing matters. Not only are you at the mercy of the server you hit's ability to serve you at that speed, your provider has the ability to throttle you based on content being retrieved.

Using these services to see what your max download speed is nice, but your provider knows the sites you use and opens you pipe for these sites to fool you.

Sad I know.

As far as I know if you're an american they can't do that anymore. companies like Google and Netflix are probably watching pretty closely so I dont think that would happen.

Not sure about canada though.

Last edited:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
As far as I know if you're an american they can't do that anymore. Sites like Google and Netflix are probably watching pretty closely so I dont think that would happen.

There are no cops on the beat. It happens. I know it. YMMV.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I go to speedtest.org and get 80Mb download speed, but can't load multiple websites or streamers in a few seconds it's all on the hosts right? I don't buy it.

When traffic gets heavy and they only have so much BW to provide, they are not relying on democracy and that's all I got to say about that :)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There are no cops on the beat. It happens. I know it. YMMV.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I go to speedtest.org and get 80Mb download speed, but can't load multiple websites or streamers in a few seconds it's all on the hosts right? I don't buy it.

When traffic gets heavy and they only have so much BW to provide, they are not relying on democracy and that's all I got to say about that :)

Sure it might be happening but I would assuming if it keeps happening they would sue and win, since google and netflix were lobbying like crazy for net neutrality (understandably, they were the single biggest target of ISPs choking speeds).

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Sure it might be happening but I would assuming if it keeps happening they would sue and win, since google and netflix were lobbying like crazy for net neutrality (understandably, they were the single biggest target of ISPs choking speeds).

I'm not talking about the providers of content. And I'm not talking about the wars between the ISP's/POC. I'm talking about the ISP's tricking people into their speeds and what they actually get when hitting sites other than speedtest sites. It's very easy to program that if the site your trying to download from is a speed test site and allowing maximum speed.

They are throttling based on demand period, because they only have so much.

You are not getting the speeds you see on speed test sites. You are at best getting the best they can deliver to all based on demand at the time. Whether they are cheating or not is up to debate.

You are probably getting better overall performance based on price, but I'd bet a lot of dinero that you aren't getting what you think you are based on internet speed test sites.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm not talking about the providers of content. And I'm not talking about the wars between the ISP's/POC. I'm talking about the ISP's tricking people into their speeds and what they actually get when hitting sites other than speedtest sites. It's very easy to program that if the site your trying to download from is a speed test site and allowing maximum speed.

They are throttling based on demand period, because they only have so much.

You are not getting the speeds you see on speed test sites. You are at best getting the best they can deliver to all based on demand at the time. Whether they are cheating or not is up to debate.

You are probably getting better overall performance based on price, but I'd bet a lot of dinero that you aren't getting what you think you are based on internet speed test sites.
I've never experienced throttling just to be clear, at the very least none that caused any buffering or slower than normal download speeds for torrents or just straight direct downloads.

But yeah, slower speeds at peak hours is a thing, I assume thats just an infrastructure limitation more than anything.

Regarding choking speeds for netflix. I know you're probably not talking about that, but for other people that may be interested

I'm pretty sure netflix has a way to check if they are. I believe fast.com actually does this. You go on that site and compare it to speedtest.net, and if fast.com is slower, it shows you they're choking your internet for netflix specifically.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Most speed test sites cheat you. It's not a lot worse but it would be alittle

You could pay for 25. It says you get 20. Most likely you get 15. If it's worse then you probably just need to reset

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It also depends on the area and infrastructure.Here in Canada, Videotron has a monopoly on Cable in Québec while Rogers owns pretty much all of Ontario.

Rogers offers better speed packages and pricing but you'll see constant complaints about downtime and congestion issues on their networks.Videotron on the other will charge you more but people pretty much have zero complaints about their network which is very stable.

As far as I know if you're an american they can't do that anymore. companies like Google and Netflix are probably watching pretty closely so I dont think that would happen.

It's the same in Canada.Bell used to love to do that on DSL with throttling torrents.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Didn't read through this whole thread but Christ almighty my speed sucks lol. Any other saskatchewanites PO'd at Sask Tel prices?
I'm paying 45$ for 1.5 download and 0.18 upload. It's pretty much useless. I hate Sask Tel.

Tbf to Sask Tel though, they don't have usage based billing which is nice. Price still isn't right though.

Last edited:

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I have yet to see a quick speed test and not be able to load web pages. I have seen a throttled speed test, but be able to download on Steam at the normal speed. Speaking of which, my speed tests come out at 9MB/s and I usually download from Steam at 12MB/s. I monitor this really closely as there are about 10 devices on one connection.

I imagine there is a lot of crooked crap going though. None of these companies care about the consumer, and will only change things if they are forced to by the government. I had a rep from my ISP tell me over the phone the names of every wired device that is connected to my router(it isn't their router). So shady.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Didn't read through this whole thread but Christ almighty my speed sucks lol. Any other saskatchewanites PO'd at Sask Tel prices?
I'm paying 45$ for 1.5 download and 0.18 upload. It's pretty much useless. I hate Sask Tel.

That's brutal. Canadian ISP's suck.

I'm paying $60 American (actually only $50, now that I check) for 100 download, 20 upload. No data cap.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
That's brutal. Canadian ISP's suck.

I'm paying $60 American (actually only $50, now that I check) for 100 download, 20 upload. No data cap.

I was paying $65 for internet 15. seriously thats how much a rip off canada is. I was with shaw. I know shaw just came out with internet 150 thats $50 a year then $80 then $135 year 3 if your a new install. I think its $80 for existing then up to $135. still pricey but at least the internet is modern :laugh:

anyways I said screw you to shaw and am using a 3rd party called surf that uses shaws infrastructure. only internet 15 but Im paying $29 with no cap.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I was paying $65 for internet 15. seriously thats how much a rip off canada is. I was with shaw. I know shaw just came out with internet 150 thats $50 a year then $80 then $135 year 3 if your a new install. I think its $80 for existing then up to $135. still pricey but at least the internet is modern :laugh:

I was a new install. It's $50 for year 1, $80 for Year 2. No third year.

At least in Edmonton.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Most speed test sites cheat you. It's not a lot worse but it would be alittle

You could pay for 25. It says you get 20. Most likely you get 15. If it's worse then you probably just need to reset

that is terrifying considering my speed from the last page

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I was a new install. It's $50 for year 1, $80 for Year 2. No third year.

At least in Edmonton.

sorry year 3 I meant the real cost which is 135 or something like that. I doubt anyone pays it. ppl will just complain

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Suppose to be 25 up/5 down. Unlimited usage. Part of a package with TV and home phone my Mom got. We upgraded from Satelite + 5 down/1up to Fibe TV + 25 up/5 down for the same price about half a year back. The only criticism i have with Bell Fibe is when your one service goes down all your others do as well.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Man my internet went down 2 days ago and I had to set up my router again, I was getting full speed 55 Mbps before but when i reset it I'm getting this

5529454322.png

Not even close to full speed

It doesn't even affect anything but its just one of those things that annoys you

Sidenote, whats the difference between client bridge and repeater bridge? I have my router set up as client bridge, I've looked it up but I can't really find a laymen explanation.

I'm using the router for a pc and nothing else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad