International hockey competitions may move to NHL-sized ice: IIHF president

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Small ice is great when you have two big, fast teams with big, fast defensemen and wingers because it makes it significantly more difficult for teams to escape their own zone, resulting in longer possessions in the offensive zone against tired units and thereby more offense.

Big ice is more fun with kids, particularly when a few kids are significantly faster than the others, because they have more room to skate around and skate circles around their opponents.

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
I'd like it, but "never" gonna happen.

Actually, I think that some arenas in europe have way too big rinks. And NA rink is a little too small. Players are bigger and there's more speed than before. So, I'd like to see a rink size somewhere in between.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Small ice= Much Easier to play the trap.
Small ice= lots of ugly hockey with cycling along the boards.

I actually enjoy the variety and would be all in for a penalty being called everytime a team plays the trap, then no one would care if it was big or small ice.

Last edited:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
So Fasel mentions the next Men's Worlds in Finland and Beijing 2022 Olympics. It doesn't sound like this would necessarily a new standard or mandatory...

...which wouldn't make much sensse in practice because not all arenas can be temporarily modified, altough most modern ones probably can be (see for example NHL games played in Europe, the rinks were shrinked). If they start demanding small ices then that would restrict the available areanas/places or even host countries.

ps. It is not April 1st yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: adamnowek

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I'd like it, but "never" gonna happen.

Actually, I think that some arenas in europe have way too big rinks. And NA rink is a little too small. Players are bigger and there's more speed than before. So, I'd like to see a rink size somewhere in between.
The size of players might be even trending downwards (did not google) but what is more important that actual physical space taken by each player is still bigger than decades ago due increased and larger equipment. Even if the average player size had remained the same, there's still less space on the ice now. I think this is often overlooked.

Reactions: Pouchkine

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think small ice is good for international tournaments, it just enables trap.

Reactions: adamnowek

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
A video from a press conference. The quotes in the news link in the OP seem to be from this. This makes Fasel actually sound more determined/serious about this idea, not just some 'why not' chit chat, even saying that it is a goal for Beijing if it is OK with the organizers and that "we will play (on small ice)" in Helsinki 2022.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Heh, I remember that time, when Soviet team played it whole life on the big ice and then came to Canada and beat NHLers on small rinks. And then NHLers came to USSR and beat Soviet team on the big ice. It looks like, it was all about players' skill back to then. And now it's all about the ice size.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Fasel trying to appease the NHL woes of getting dumpstered.

How about not building the team according to allstars, but choosing mobile well skating D?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
going to small ice or the Finnish hybrid would be the best move.

Nobody wants to see a repeat of the bore that was the Sochi Olympics. The only redeeming thing about that tournament was at least Canada took home the hardware.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I think Pelicans had 27m rink some time ago. And Hifk mightve also had one. "Pelicans sized" rink would be nice, or the 28m Hybrid rink. Leave little difference to NHL just for sake of leaving it.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Whatever the standard is it needs to be the same on every rink on the globe so there's no problem of being accustomed to different ice sizes.

I'm all for a change that makes that happen, Liiga can change its ice too since they use IIHF rules with little modifications.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
International hockey competitions may move to NHL-sized ice: IIHF president

Fasel says IIHF is looking to move to the NHL size rinks for the next Olympics and future IIHF tournament.

A change long needed. Smaller ice surface means a more north-south action filled game.

It’s not evident that THAT is the result ... in nhl that happened because you have the cream of the crop, best of the best but it might be that in a beer league the game stagnates, becomes a slugfest and full of hooking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad