International hockey competitions may move to NHL-sized ice: IIHF president

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
going to small ice or the Finnish hybrid would be the best move.

Nobody wants to see a repeat of the bore that was the Sochi Olympics. The only redeeming thing about that tournament was at least Canada took home the hardware.

How much of that though, was because you had NHL coaches involved? Guys who think losing 2-1 is better than losing 5-4. Or winning by that score for that matter. I'm not sure the answer, but the talent to make the big ice fun to watch was there. It was just completely stifled. Coaching was the problem there, not the ice.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
How much of that though, was because you had NHL coaches involved? Guys who think losing 2-1 is better than losing 5-4. Or winning by that score for that matter. I'm not sure the answer, but the talent to make the big ice fun to watch was there. It was just completely stifled. Coaching was the problem there, not the ice.
Um... huh? So two head coches and two coaching staffs? What about the other teams and why wasn't this an issue in the previous big ice Olympics...

Last edited:

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Um... huh? So two head coches and two coaching staffs? What about the other teams and why wasn't this an issue in the previous big ice Olympics...

Not sure what you are trying to say? I'm a fan of the big ice, and the boring hockey from Socchi was not due to the ice. It was due to the game plan, which was quite predictable given who was coaching.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't think small ice is good for international tournaments, it just enables trap.

It’s the reverse.

Big ice is easier to trap and clog the middle. The game on smaller ice is much faster.

Reactions: Tmu84

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Keep the big ice. I like how it provides for variety in IIHF events; especially at the WJC where both sizes are used.
Implementing both sizes can show how diverse hockey can be with various skill-sets and tactics needed for each.

The last thing our game needs is more boring uniformity.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Not sure what you are trying to say? I'm a fan of the big ice, and the boring hockey from Socchi was not due to the ice. It was due to the game plan, which was quite predictable given who was coaching.
You mentioned/blamed coaches from NHL? I don't understand since most of the coaches weren't from NHL and even if they were, I still don't get your point. Show me one successful pro coach who normally and by default prefers high-scoring games...

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
An aggressive forecheck is more effective on a smaller ice rink. More turnovers -> more goals.

Big ice just adds more areas where you can't score from and slows the pace of the game.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
It appears this move (or at least in terms of two 2022 men's tournaments) is going to be an official proposal. It will be presented to the next IIHF congress this spring.

IIHF vice-chairman Kalervo Kummola mentioned it here (in Finnish).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
According to IIHF vice secretary Kalervo Kummola, IIHF are moving toward 28 meter wide hybrid rinks, not the NHL sizes. He mentioned it in the Total Hockey Forever podcast: Radio Rock - Asenne on Rock Around the 5 minute mark. Said he talked to Fasel and mentioned how European countries are favoring the 28 meter size and they're going refer it to the competition committee.

Reactions: Past Considerations

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
This are good news for Favorits with their skilled players. Bad news for underdogs.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not for it or against it. Small ice makes for a better product, but I can see as many NHL games as I want no small ice so the diversity of large ice is nice sometimes. The claim that small ice leads to the trap ignores that large ice leads to teams going into a defensive shell due to the extra dead ice, which is a bigger problem. I would like to see the hybrid ice size given a chance again.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The smaller rink eliminates skill and combinational play, the great stickhandling and passing games, by forcing a dump-and-chase offense. Robotically get rid of the puck as soon as it touches your stick in the direction of the goal, and then forecheck in a frenzy. Its hockey in a closet. The NHL committed to it in the 1940's in order to attract fans in the USA, which was a non-hockey playing country, because it fosters a fight culture that could appeal to fans who had no clue what it was like to put on a pair of skates. If Fasel favors it, it must somehow put money in his pocket for his 53rd luxury yacht on the Mediterranean.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The smaller rink eliminates skill and combinational play, the great stickhandling and passing games, by forcing a dump-and-chase offense. Robotically get rid of the puck as soon as it touches your stick in the direction of the goal, and then forecheck in a frenzy. Its hockey in a closet. The NHL committed to it in the 1940's in order to attract fans in the USA, which was a non-hockey playing country, because it fosters a fight culture that could appeal to fans who had no clue what it was like to put on a pair of skates. If Fasel favors it, it must somehow put money in his pocket for his 53rd luxury yacht on the Mediterranean.

Same to you, read post #35.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Hybrid should be used like others have said, I believe hybrid size ice was used in Salt Lake 2002.

member 305909

Hockey just looks so much better in the smaller-sized rink.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
They really should standardize this and make it similiar in every league. 28x60 is a reasonable fit that would still make the game entertaining. Metres should be the right measurement

This thing is one of those that fascinates me about hockey. I truly doubt many other major sports would continue having this kind of weird differences. Fascinating to that it seems to be accepted to among fans and that they aren't complaining more about it.

bobby183

Sep 10, 2016
Vancouver and Tokyo
NHL size is 61m x 26m.
Olympic size is 60m x 30m.

Personally, I agree with the hybrid size of 61m x 28m.
However, this will never happen. NHL and NA side will never widen their current sheet size by 2m. Because this means that each franchise will have to sacrifice the existing first 2 rows of premium seats and the revenue from them. That's a lot of seats around the rink....huge revenue loss.

That's why bringing the international rink size smaller to that of NA rink size may possibly happen, if they are to standardize them. But never the other way around nor increasing the NA size to the hybrid size.

Just my thoughts...but I think very realistic and valid point...it's about the commercial implication...

Last edited:
Reactions: Past Considerations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad