International hockey competitions may move to NHL-sized ice: IIHF president

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Can anyone tell me how much smaller the ice rinks in the NHL are than in Europe? Is it a really big difference?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
NHL should switch to hybrid small ice seems so cramped and chaotic
This is exactly the problem with the NHL hockey because of the smaller rinks. Even though the NHL has unquestionably most of the best players in the world, the play is most of the time bloody awful there. I watch crazy amounts of hockey per year, which is about 200-300 NHL games per year and about 100-200 Liiga games per year. I do watch a lot of NHL hockey, because the best players are still there and there are a lot of Finnish and other European top players that I usually prefer a lot. But unfortunately the game play is way too often piss poor even despite all the talent.

Constant idiotic dump and chase plays and then over and over again boring cycling plays with constantly being stuck at the boards. Also most of the goals are scored by stupid flipper/pinball hockey, where the puck is just desperately shot to the net in the hope of scoring a garbage rebound goal, or the goalie is screened a lot of times and just whatever shot goes in, as long as it goes towards the goal. Extremely boring hockey by the play systems. Just most of the time the mindless and hectic pinball hockey with countless garbage goals. Not my cup of tea really, although still have to watch it to see the best players play.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Why not shrink all rinks even more, so there would be enough room for ice-track around rinks in the existing arenas and ice-halls for simutaneous demolition derby of aged Zambonis during the hockey games. At least something interesting to follow when refs manage hockey and coaches challenge their decision that take 15 minutes to solve. Desired pinball -phenom of 'quality hockey' would only get magnified and intensified! :sarcasm:

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Just posted in another thread before checking out this one:
IIHF is moving all its competitions to NHL rink size from next season on.

2 KHL teams (Amur Khabarovsk and Admiral Vladivostok) are already playing on NHL size rinks. Several more are switching next season: Barys Astana (confirmed), SKA St Petersburg, Avtomobilist Ekaterinburg, Avangard Omsk (not confirmed yet).

8 KHL teams are playing on, what they call, "Finnish" size rinks, intermediate between NHL and international ones.

So, it seems that big ice is going to be phased out pretty soon in favor of standard NHL size rinks everywhere.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I wish all levels had flexibility to build whatever size they liked between NHL and International sized ice surfaces. Would make home ice much more of an advantage and you'd see teams constructed to win taking into account the differences.

Reactions: Orange Dragon

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I hope they don't do it because it's the contrast in rink size and play style it brings because of it that makes the WHC more interesting for me then it might otherwise be, I like the change for one tournament and the challenge it presents to the team I cheer for.

Reactions: Gold Standard

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I wish all levels had flexibility to build whatever size they liked between NHL and International sized ice surfaces. Would make home ice much more of an advantage and you'd see teams constructed to win taking into account the differences.
The KHL actually has this, some teams play on NHL-sized rinks, while the rest is either playing on the Finnish-sized rink of the traditional international-sized one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad