Pre-Game Talk: Interlude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There's still been illness even if not influenza or Covid. Our family has had to go for tests a few times and it wasn't ever COVID

My oldest had a really bad sore throat two weeks ago and she was tested for Covid and Strep but both negative.

Understanding that even during the peaks our positivity rate is typically only about 10%, that suggests to me a large percentage if not most people who have gotten sick this year don't actually have Covid, as I'd suspect a decent portion of the people getting tested are doing so because they've had symptoms.

Symptoms can include anything from allergies, food reactions, to food poisoning etc. One of the untold risks during the pandemic, that we've experienced directly, is being sold expired food like eggs, without realizing it. Got sick once to the point of vomiting violently one night within the last year. Suspecting it was food poisoning we determined it was from an egg carton we had just bought the day before, which unbeknownst to us had been expired for two weeks. I have trouble reading the labels in stores as masks tend to fog my glasses a bit. One of the consequences of the pandemic, and service industry is how much they've had to hire basically anybody to work in stores. So that product placement, pulling off shelves, etc, those standards have taken a real dump. So I suspect a lot more cases of food poisoning like we had are to blame. Also similarly more problems directly at food processing.

I mean now even plants putting out vaccines have felt the pinch of having to hire and train new staff that has resulted in 15M wasted doses of Johnsons. We can't trust any supply of goods now to be as safe as was typically the case before. People may even take more risks consuming expired food (there was a study on this) because they are more reluctant to pop out to the store during a pandemic.

Also keeping in mind a negative Covid test does not preclude having had Covid. We don't know enough and I suspect people might have had instances of much lower load exposure. Where you get a sore throat that goes away either on its own or with treatment like gargling mouthwash or salt water or nasal saline rinse. (all reasonable preventive procedures).

In anycase I'm not saying anything conclusively other than what the data show. Years later we might find that Flu cases did exist that were not being detected.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Cool. Love seeing a young kid fulfill and attain his boyhood dreams. Thx for sharing the photo.

Hopefully Smyth never ran him over..

Longtime Oilers fans will get that remark.

heh

nice to get some new blood in the lineup, such a rarity. Kulikov and Mcleod inserted. Other than Yama when is the last time we've even had a forward come up and stick, hopefully he does.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Cool. Love seeing a young kid fulfill and attain his boyhood dreams. Thx for sharing the photo.

56C43D1B-D96E-4675-957F-1AE2DDDD4473.jpeg

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Getting some Stand By Me vibes. They be like throwback kids from another time.

Wasn't this an Ontario family, impressive that they had Oilers kids..I don't know much about Mcleod, did the family move here?

BCFD5FCC-071B-4D71-9F96-ED0159A995D3.jpeg

according to the article his parents are both still working and I assume they likely still reside in the Toronto/Mississauga area

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
It is depressing that the best thing we can conjure up to play LW with the best player on earth is Kahun. A guy like Chris Kunitz would do wonders there...

Not fair for his first game facing top defenders but would like to see McLeod up there. Kahun is disappointing. Who know maybe McDavid can bounce some off of him.

Reactions: Snipes45

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Why is it that every time a depth player starts to figure it out this season to the point you start thinking "hey I think this guy might be able to contribute consistently" they get instantly injured?

Kassian #1 - fight for the first time in forever then out 6 weeks
Kassian #2 - plays his best game of the year, then week to week
Nygard - plays three really solid games - out until who knows when
Lagesson - locking in spot next to Larsson - gets hurt, then awful when he comes back
Bear - has a few good games then takes puck to the head - up and down since
Khaira - finally rounding into consistent form - gets mysteriously knocked out constantly
Koekkoek - providing a pretty good depth option on D - out for the year
Haas earlier in the year - COVID, then a few solid games, then out for a few weeks
Turris - has one good game finally, then COVID

I'm sure I'm probably forgetting a few, but this was off the top of my head. Making it impossible to find any kind of groove or identity in the bottom of the lineup. If a bottom 6er has a few good games you can pretty much set a clock to them being injured right after.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Symptoms can include anything from allergies, food reactions, to food poisoning etc. One of the untold risks during the pandemic, that we've experienced directly, is being sold expired food like eggs, without realizing it. Got sick once to the point of vomiting violently one night within the last year. Suspecting it was food poisoning we determined it was from an egg carton we had just bought the day before, which unbeknownst to us had been expired for two weeks. I have trouble reading the labels in stores as masks tend to fog my glasses a bit. One of the consequences of the pandemic, and service industry is how much they've had to hire basically anybody to work in stores. So that product placement, pulling off shelves, etc, those standards have taken a real dump. So I suspect a lot more cases of food poisoning like we had are to blame. Also similarly more problems directly at food processing.

I mean now even plants putting out vaccines have felt the pinch of having to hire and train new staff that has resulted in 15M wasted doses of Johnsons. We can't trust any supply of goods now to be as safe as was typically the case before. People may even take more risks consuming expired food (there was a study on this) because they are more reluctant to pop out to the store during a pandemic.

Also keeping in mind a negative Covid test does not preclude having had Covid. We don't know enough and I suspect people might have had instances of much lower load exposure. Where you get a sore throat that goes away either on its own or with treatment like gargling mouthwash or salt water or nasal saline rinse. (all reasonable preventive procedures).

In anycase I'm not saying anything conclusively other than what the data show. Years later we might find that Flu cases did exist that were not being detected.

Certainly. My only point is that in not feeling well right doesn't necessarily mean a person will be going into a prolonged isolation for Covid. So the fact that Jesse's good to go, means it was more likely a something like this. He could have been just nursing a minor injury, thus not feeling well.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Why is it that every time a depth player starts to figure it out this season to the point you start thinking "hey I think this guy might be able to contribute consistently" they get instantly injured?

Kassian #1 - fight for the first time in forever then out 6 weeks
Kassian #2 - plays his best game of the year, then week to week
Nygard - plays three really solid games - out until who knows when
Lagesson - locking in spot next to Larsson - gets hurt, then awful when he comes back
Bear - has a few good games then takes puck to the head - up and down since
Khaira - finally rounding into consistent form - gets mysteriously knocked out constantly
Koekkoek - providing a pretty good depth option on D - out for the year
Haas earlier in the year - COVID, then a few solid games, then out for a few weeks
Turris - has one good game finally, then COVID

I'm sure I'm probably forgetting a few, but this was off the top of my head. Making it impossible to find any kind of groove or identity in the bottom of the lineup. If a bottom 6er has a few good games you can pretty much set a clock to them being injured right after.

I can think of a couple, one starts with an A and the other an S (no full names to jinx!!)

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Reactions: bone and Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Hopefully Smyth never ran him over..

Longtime Oilers fans will get that remark.

heh

nice to get some new blood in the lineup, such a rarity. Kulikov and Mcleod inserted. Other than Yama when is the last time we've even had a forward come up and stick, hopefully he does.
Glenn probably still doesnt know he did.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ill never cheer for an injury, but wow... Ehlers out is bodes well for the Oil. Damn.

I'll thank the Leafs for taking out the trash. Ehlers has a well deserved number on his back, not just this season, and Muzzin tends to be in on those things. His disgust of Ehlers would come from both LA and Toronto days and for Muzzin, and other players and teams the two most despised players in the division are probably Ratboy and Ehlers. Ehlers has wanted to climb that ladder and has spent the last several seasons involved in actions/antics that bring this kind of focus. Now he's injured. I'm not sorry for it. I don't have to watch this dirty player antagonize and attempt to injure other players.

The funniest quip I heard is "he must have pulled something spearing Thornton"

Ehlers actually wonders why this kind of vitriol and response follows him around.

Spearing a player right in the gut and face, and after same game he's out LTIR. A rare moment of justice.

The NHL wouldn't suspend this puke. Spearing used to be an automatic suspension or fine and is very dangerous. Its about the lowest thing anybody can do out on the ice. Typically its pukes like Ehlers that do it, repeatedly.

He's a good player, but he really gets wires crossed it seems. This latest episode will follow him around when he gets back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland