Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Koekkoek - Bear/Jones

Soon.
Meh. No thanks to Koekkoek. I mean no harm in giving him a shot. But based on what he was showing by the time he got hurt, he wouldn't be playing ahead of Jones or Russel for me on the left side.

Reactions: MuzzaFuzza

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Well the Oilers are finally starting to get cap space for solid free agents.

I suppose they are hunting for Hoffman in offseason.
An other route would be to use free cap as a trade for a good player with an albatross contract
(trades nowadays is harder than never before) Its the only way now to rip a good player from another team.
Or just straight overpay for a player you desperatly wants (see Washington and Mantha)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
From Tippetts press thing today, sounds like he is a fan of McLeod. As I said before, play a strong two way game, do a little of everything, have size and work hard and Tippett will have all the time in the world for you

I think hes generally been one of the last cuts in preseason, even dating back to McLellan? I think hes one of those players that coaches just like.

Reactions: 780il

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm thinking that they keep Jones there until/unless he falters.
Probably.
He is better then Russell. I had big hopes for Jones this year
How r your guys Covid numbers? We r getting hit hard now in NS. Very high case counts the last week. This stems from a Easter get together in Halifax. Family had people in from Ontario, didn’t isolate and they spread it like crazy

Reactions: The Safe Play

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
From Tippetts press thing today, sounds like he is a fan of McLeod. As I said before, play a strong two way game, do a little of everything, have size and work hard and Tippett will have all the time in the world for you

I think any coach will have a lot time for that kind of player.

McLeod is an interesting one moving forward. His size, speed, solid 2 way play, and faceoffs will have him as an NHLer; But is he a Sheahan/no offense type, or legit 2-way, 30point guy like Eller remains to be seen.

Personally, I have him and Benson anchoring the 3rd line next season.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Meh. No thanks to Koekkoek. I mean no harm in giving him a shot. But based on what he was showing by the time he got hurt, he wouldn't be playing ahead of Jones or Russel for me on the left side.

4K cooled down a fair bit after a strong start. But honestly, I still trust him more to play 15 to 18 minutes of no-frills hockey vs. Jones or Russell.

To my eye, any RD that plays with Jones looks worse (for the most part). This has been the case with Larsson and Bear; though he was decent in limited with Bouchard.

I think Kulikov should play with either Bear or Barrie; depending on whom Tippett feels is a better fit with Nurse, Kuli gets the other one.

That leaves you needing someone to pair with Larsson on the shutdown pairing. Imo Jones has struggled with this assignment whenever asked. Russell normally keeps his head above water here, bit it's not pretty in the least, and Lagesson was hot and cold in the role (though I do want to see more of him).

4K played a bit with Larsson, on an unspectacular pairing for few games yearly this year, but he did have success with de Haan in a similar role last year during the playoffs with CHI.

In a limited role, I could see him working well.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Pretty sure you're wrong.

You gotta watch this:

TSN Original: The Problem of Pain

Sport teams care about the team first, and longterm health of a player second.

To be fair, the Oil played both the Bear and RNH concussions fairly cautiously.

With only 10 games left and the team comfortably in a playoff spot, I don't see why they're start risking things now.

Reactions: ujju2

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
To be fair, the Oil played both the Bear and RNH concussions fairly cautiously.

With only 10 games left and the team comfortably in a playoff spot, I don't see why they're start risking things now.
Well, for a bottom rung player who's expansion draft fodder, maybe they view finishing with home ice advantage is more important than his longterm health.

Remember how our organization treated Souray?

I don't think any teams medical staff has the players best interests in mind. I honestly would trust HfBoards over Oilers medical staff on concussions.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
From what I saw in clips, the line today was Kahun-Mcleod-Yamamoto ... unless I missed something.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Kulikov and Larsson are both UFAs, no need to protect them.

And you wouldn't want to protect Benson/Archibald/Kahun?
Sing Kulikov and Larsson prior, leave rnh and sign him after, Benson if possible Archibald and Kahun, undecided. Lots like them every year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
4K cooled down a fair bit after a strong start. But honestly, I still trust him more to play 15 to 18 minutes of no-frills hockey vs. Jones or Russell.

To my eye, any RD that plays with Jones looks worse (for the most part). This has been the case with Larsson and Bear; though he was decent in limited with Bouchard.

I think Kulikov should play with either Bear or Barrie; depending on whom Tippett feels is a better fit with Nurse, Kuli gets the other one.

That leaves you needing someone to pair with Larsson on the shutdown pairing. Imo Jones has struggled with this assignment whenever asked. Russell normally keeps his head above water here, bit it's not pretty in the least, and Lagesson was hot and cold in the role (though I do want to see more of him).

4K played a bit with Larsson, on an unspectacular pairing for few games yearly this year, but he did have success with de Haan in a similar role last year during the playoffs with CHI.

In a limited role, I could see him working well.

The numbers just don't back that up. Koekkoek has the worst GF/60 for d-men on the team and by far the worst GA/60 for d-men. That's along with truly terrible shot metrics as well. He's been on the ice for as many 5v5 goals against as Jones has been in a little over 1/2 the time on ice. He had like 4 or 5 good games and then stunk up the joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany