Interesting insight from Andrew Ference (31 Thoughts: The Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You keep saying this, but lay the failures of the TEAM at the feet of a couple of players (who happened to be the only ones performing on the ice). It's nonsense.

Whatever their faults, Hall and the party boys aren't responsible for their teammates being talentless plugs.

You know what would have been different if they were choirboys who were great leaders and hard workers in practice? Nothing. Because the talent around them was AHL-calibre.

Being a good teammate doesn't turn bad players into good players.

completely wrong. you and a few others were talking about how this current roster was putrid and that they should be losing the way they were. bring in hitch, change the culture and look how much better they look in the last 10 games. culture matters. if you have a player with hall's attitude undermining your attempts to build a good team culture.... well of course you're going to spin your wheels in DFL like they had been. part of the onus absolutely lies at hall's feet as to why this team perpetually sucked so badly.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Being a good teammate doesn't turn bad players into good players.

What!!, man that has to be one of the silliest things I've read.

Being a good teammate is what it is all about. Being a good teammate brings the best out of everyone around you. You've obviously never been on a great, tight team or never been on one that can be ravaged by one player.

We are seeing proof of that now FFS. Hitch compared to Todd....same players vastly different results.

Reactions: TB12 and HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I don't believe that the organization ever did anything. They threw Hall the keys to the car and let him spin doughnuts in their parking lot without batting an eyelash. Accountability does not exist with the Oilers unless you're a head coach (and even then it's scapegoating).

I wonder if McDavid ever looks up at the rafters and sees the "guaranteed employment club" laughing it up while he struggles to keep this team above water. 2 of the last three GMs of this club are still employed by the Oilers for reasons nobody can understand.

There isn't a single thing about the Oilers during the decade of darkness that they didn't mishandle in some way. In every conceivable way they failed.

ya, you don't "believe" they did anything. you don't actually know. i have heard that they definitely tried to do something about it. i'm not absolving lowe, mact etc because they should take a fair share of the blame.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
What really pisses me off is that the team is doing fairly well at the moment and Ference has to be a jackass and dig up some of the dark past we are trying to forget about

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
ya, you don't "believe" they did anything. you don't actually know. i have heard that they definitely tried to do something about it. i'm not absolving lowe, mact etc because they should take a fair share of the blame.
I tend to believe that a team that has been lazy about it's processes and handlings for many years was lazy in a decade where they failed at every level.

Always half-hearted measures. "Oh this over the hill player will surely save the team!" Man, if Ference was the solution I don't want to know what the question was.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Being a good teammate is what it is all about. Being a good teammate brings the best out of everyone around you. You've obviously never been on a great, tight team or never been on one that can be ravaged by one player.

We are seeing proof of that now FFS. Hitch compared to Todd....same players vastly different results.

100%. it's a completely ridiculous comment by little fury. honestly if they just stuck to saying they think hall was a good talented player i'd be ok with it. but the mental gymnastics to find any way to defend hall is getting beyond silliness.

Reactions: jeffff

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I tend to believe that a team that has been lazy about it's processes and handlings for many years was lazy in a decade where they failed at every level.

Always half-hearted measures. "Oh this over the hill player will surely save the team!" Man, if Ference was the solution I don't want to know what the question was.
fair enough opinion.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Winning cures a lot of problems. It's no coincidence that were many whispers last year about the Oilers when they weren't doing well.

Maybe if the Oilers were ever serious about winning during Hall's tenure...

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What!!, man that has to be one of the dumbest things I've read.

Being a good teammate is what it is all about.

Scoring more goals is what it's all about. The Stanley Cup isn't the friends we make along the way.

Being a good teammate brings the best out of everyone around you. You've obviously never been on a great, tight team or never been on one that can be ravaged by one player.

We are seeing proof of that now FFS. Hitch compared to Todd....same players vastly different results

All this shows is that tactics can make a difference (even though I'm not convinced that this is anything more than a dead cat bounce).

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Winning cures a lot of problems. It's no coincidence that were many whispers last year about the Oilers when they weren't doing well.

Maybe if the Oilers were ever serious about winning during Hall's tenure...

Of course it does. But what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Attitude, character etc is just as important as any other element in being successful.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
completely wrong. you and a few others were talking about how this current roster was putrid and that they should be losing the way they were. bring in hitch, change the culture and look how much better they look in the last 10 games. culture matters. if you have a player with hall's attitude undermining your attempts to build a good team culture.... well of course you're going to spin your wheels in DFL like they had been. part of the onus absolutely lies at hall's feet as to why this team perpetually sucked so badly.

LOL: before Hitch was hired you were droning on about how the losing culture was so deeply entrenched since the Hall days and that's why the team still sucked all these years later. Now, just two weeks later, you're making it seem like the culture problem is solved. If culture is so easily changed, it can't be that significant.

Hitch changed the tactics to suit a team that is short on actual talent. He's riding McDavid hard and playing plugs like Lucic less. These are real on-ice adjustments that are working so far (though I have no idea how sustainable this is given the number of one goal games they're winning). It doesn't prove anything about "culture."

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRebuild

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Ference looks pretty bad in this. Not very leader-y and shows another reason why the Oilers of that period stank to high heaven.

As for the team culture, that's a discipline issue and management and coaches should be accountable. It's not that difficult to know what your players are up to and to take steps to alter behaviors through disciplinary actions.

Reactions: frag2

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It’s all very far fetched. No argument there. The whole thing just seems like such a farce that makes so little sense you almost gravitate to illogical conclusions.
Not that I necessarily buy this theory, do you believe that “NHL insiders” don’t help sell the narratives of NHL organizations?
How do you think they get their info?
If @CantHaveTkachev is upset by the suggestion, you can bet there is more than a little coincidence to the timing of Ference’s big interview. The fact that the Devils are awful right now .... the fact that the Oilers have actually won some games .... the fact that Chiarelli has a couple of long shots looking good. It’s the best possible moment to trot out a stooge like Ference. Start shaping that narrative.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
They really aren't.

Meh...you're too linear, its not so black and white. I'm not saying that a character guy is more valuable than McDavid I'm just saying it is an important piece. It is also much more important when the best player on the team does not wreak havoc on the team. Huge difference between the best player having character problems and a 3rd/4th line plug...massive difference.

This was Halls team, and he fcuked that up because of his sh!tty attitude, it is that simple. It was 100% on Hall and something he had 100% control over. People either agree with that or they don't.

Reactions: TB12

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Meh...you're too linear, its not so black and white. I'm not saying that a character guy is more valuable than McDavid I'm just saying it is an important piece. It is also much more important when the best player on the team does not wreak havoc on the team. Huge difference between the best player having character problems and a 3rd/4th line plug...massive difference.

An important piece? Sure. As important as talent? Never.

This was Halls team, and he fcuked that up because of his sh!tty attitude, it is that simple. It was 100% on Hall and something he had 100% control over. People either agree with that or they don't.

I don't agree.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
"I can’t really hear what Andrew says, because I got my two... Oh, I heard every word actually." - Taylor Hall

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It was 100% on Hall and something he had 100% control over. People either agree with that or they don't.
Uhh ... no? Those posters defending Hall (and Eberle) in this thread for the most part recognize and stipulate that Hall was a young man with some issues. He can accept a part of the blame. It’s the Chiarelli fans that won’t hear a decent word spoken about Hall without being thrown into a raging tirade about how Hall was practically the devil. And was mean to poor Nail Yakupov on top of that. :shakehead

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Ference exaggerating claims of hard-partying Edmonton Oilers team that didn't care, says Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

“I don’t have too much to say about it,” he said after Tuesday’s morning skate in Denver. “But I’m a little surprised that he would come out now and say these things. It’s strange. I always got along with him, too.”

Nugent-Hopkins doesn’t remember the Oilers treating the hockey season like Mardi Gras at all. Yes, like every team in professional sports, they hit the town from time to time, and without a lot of veterans or leadership in the dressing room they had to learn from experience where the line was drawn, but he says the atmosphere Ference describes is a major exaggeration.

“To say that guys were going out all the time and were showing up hung over, I don’t remember guys doing that at all,” said Nugent-Hopkins, who has evolved into the best two-way player on the team.

He really rolled his eyes at the notion players were routinely mocked for working hard in practice.

“I don’t know about that. Guys had every intention of working hard and getting better. Guys tried."

Reactions: McAsuno

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Thanks for the reply, and good post, we're not much in disagreement but who in your estimation is Ference likely talking about with "Toe draggers more interested in Going partying than putting a priority on hockey'' I think its obvious who he meant.

Deserves to be said that the "toe draggers" were much more accomplished at hockey, better at it, in any sense then the Captain lobbing the insults. So arguably they worked harder at being good at hockey than a guy that was a 6/7 D here.

Its really awful for Ference, that had he classlessly lobbed these and other insults while supporting the absolute worst performers, Eakins, and Lucic. I mean it so lacks credibility that this is all that remains for him. In the past we could pretty much assume what ference was in the room. Now its a certainty and he has removed any doubt that even as captain, he willfully contributed in toxicity and division. You don't have that kind of negative narrative about team mates, that kind of vitriol, and to the degree that he's still willing to froth about it 3yrs after the fact.

Paragraph 1: you may be right. Ference didn't say and I'll keep my unfounded speculation to myself. He also didn't say the toe draggers were going to party... he said the guys who appreciated toe drags more than hard work... it could easily include guys who idolized the toe draggers, were not toe draggers themselves and needed to focus on WORK rather than toe dragging at practice. His point was a more general one... that guys liked "easy" hockey rather than hard work. I found the part about making fun of trying hard at practice to be the most damaging affront to team play. Anyone who has played with talented players that don't give 100% knows exactly how that feels to the guys who had to play at 110% to even make the team (and I'll admit, I've been both... its part of growing up).

Paragraph 2: I fundamentally disagree here. It's about the Stanley Cup, not individual glory and Ference has one. Ference was an Assistant captain on that team. He was far from a bit player, but he got that cup (like many on that team) through hard work and with limited talent. That (plus his work in the community) made him a legend in Boston... I know, I lived across the street from the garden and the best stay-at-home D in my beer league CRIED when he signed with us. In Boston, Ference typified what was magical about sport... that sometimes deep effort and passion were enough to reach your dreams. (it sucks that Eakins didn't let things play out rather than giving him the C... cuz it would have been much better for all for that to be an inceptive lesson rather than a directive)

Paragraph 3: Not sure where you went with this or why... Lucic, by all accounts, is a great teammate. Willfully contributed to toxicity and division? You don't know that... in fact it sounds like he was trying to get guys to buy in and be on the SAME page... the exact opposite of division... and that what he was dealing with was a room that was already divided... in any case a guy trying to get some unprofessional athletes to be more professional might cause division if the unprofessional guys aren't willing to change or too dense to listen. This story by the way is a recurring theme from those days.... that there were players in the room that didn't want to put the effort in. The team cycled through multiple captains (3) and multiple coaches (. It ate them up and spit them out. That shouldn't happen.

I'm really not sure what people are up in arms about. We know the team in that era was devoid of vet leadership. We know a losing culture was created. We know the kids maybe had too much pressure put on them (one perspective), or were too immature to take on the pressure (the other perspective). And we know that management was unable to correct the situation in a timely or proactive manner. Situations like that have many victims and many actors. Why does one of the guys, who had a LONG career as a good teammate elsewhere contrasting his experience with what it was like to play on a better team with a stronger leadership core get people so upset?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for those thinking that Ference;'s comments will upset the current oilers

14/15 was the last time he played a full season--here is the list of players from that team--how many are still on the team? Why would players care about what happened before they arrived?

14Jordan EberleC8124396324-16----------SASK: Regina24
93Ryan Nugent-HopkinsC7624325625-12 BC: Burnaby21
4Taylor HallL5314243840-1----------ALTA: Calgary22
67Benoit PouliotL5819153428-1----------ONT: Alfred27
16Ted PurcellR8212223424-33----------NFLD: St. John's28
10Nail YakupovR8114193318-35----------Russia: Nizhnekamsk20
19Justin SchultzD816253112-17----------BC: Kelowna24
8Derek Roy 1C4611112222-13----------ONT: Ottawa31
51Anton LanderC386142014-12----------Sweden: Sundsvall23
84Oscar KlefbomD60218204-21 Sweden: Karlstad21
57David Perron 2L385141920-17----------PQ: Sherbrooke26
23Matt HendricksC71881676-14 MN: Blaine33
2Jeff Petry 3D594111532-25 MI: Ann Arbor26
21Andrew FerenceD703111439-17----------ALTA: Edmonton35
27Boyd GordonC68671317-5----------SASK: Unity30
26Mark Arcobello 4F36751212-7----------CT: Milford26
86Nikita NikitinD42461012-12----------Russia: Omsk28
28Matt Fraser 5L3654910-11----------ALTA: Red Deer24
29Leon DraisaitlC372794-17 Germany: Cologne18
5Mark FayneD7426814-21----------NH: Nashua27
Andrew MillerR91560-2----------MI: Bloomfield Hills25
85Martin MarincinD4114516-4 Slovakia: Kosice22
13Steve PinizzottoR18224301----------ONT: Mississauga30
6Jesse JoensuuL2022414-8----------Finland: Pori26
20Luke GazdicL4021343-4----------ONT: Toronto25
Brad HuntD111230-6----------BC: Maple Ridge26
62Iiro PakarinenR171232-4----------Finland: Loviisa23
12Rob Klinkhammer 6L4012323-7----------ALTA: Lethbridge28
Tyler PitlickC172024-3----------MN: Minneapolis22
48Ryan HamiltonL161126-8----------ONT: Oshawa29
David MusilD40222-2----------BC: Delta21
88Brandon DavidsonD121010-5----------ALTA: Taber23
82Jordan OesterleD60110-4----------MI: Dearborn Heights22
22Keith AulieD3101166-3----------SASK: Rouleau25
30Ben ScrivensG5701140----------ALTA: Spruce Grove27
1Laurent BrossoitG100000----------BC: Port Alberni21
39Bogdan YakimovC10000-1----------Russia: Nizhnekamsk19
34Tyler BunzG100000----------ALTA: St. Albert22
70Curtis HamiltonL100050----------WA: Tacoma22
Darnell NurseD20000-2----------ONT: Hamilton19
41Will ActonC30005-2----------MN: Edina27
Richard BachmanG700000----------UT: Salt Lake City27
35Viktor FasthG2600000----------Sweden: Kalix32
Totals 193324517667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Goalies
Player NameGPMinGAGAAWLTSvsPctENSO
Laurent Brossoit16022.00010490.96110
Richard Bachman6317152.843201530.91111
Ben Scrivens5732281703.1615261113720.89071
Viktor Fasth261336763.4161536050.88810
Tyler Bunz12039.00 90.75000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Good on Ference for speaking up when he was asked.

He was dealt a crap hand when he came here, he deserved better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad