Interesting Info: Part XVIII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
It it ain't broke......I say leave the team intact, especially if they continue to play the way they have been lately.
Why mess with such beautiful chemistry?

gonz

Shampoo Slowdelein
Dec 20, 2004
Cincinnati
www.bourbonaslyum.com
The only type of rental I could see us going for would be a Vermette type. Faceoffs and PK are our weakest areas, a player like that could be extremely valuable to us. Could also see us standing pat, but I wouldn't mind a player who could win very important end of game face-offs.

Definitely wouldn't mind some help there. But if we get Vermette again, hopefully, he won't act like someone shot his dog again like he did the first time he got traded.

PS Fnck Jeff Carter.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ly-playoffs-record-threatening-winning-streak

Some nice words from Joey in the article about his former team, and especially Cam. Part of him has to regret he's not a part of this right now.

Yeah probably. I doubt we'd be in this position though if he was here. Who knows if he would've bought in to the Torts system. Plus we definitely wouldn't be as good without Seth Jones playing the most minutes on D.

I still love Joey though.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Definitely wouldn't mind some help there. But if we get Vermette again, hopefully, he won't act like someone shot his dog again like he did the first time he got traded.

PS Fnck Jeff Carter.

Don't see this happening whatsoever. Not only does he have a contract through next year, even a favorable one for his capabilities, the Ducks are going to need him to make/for the playoffs and he is a guy they need to do the same sort of things that some of us would like to see as an upgrade on our team.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Not groundbreaking stuff but Porty is the ultimate tool when it comes to that stuff, would love to get a different beat writer full time. I've had enough of the opinionated stuff with no backing comments in the chat they run.

I much prefer Porty to Arace. God I can't stand Arace :laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Me thinks Joey has been watching us a few times, and wishes he was still here.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The only type of rental I could see us going for would be a Vermette type. Faceoffs and PK are our weakest areas, a player like that could be extremely valuable to us. Could also see us standing pat, but I wouldn't mind a player who could win very important end of game face-offs.

Not singling you out but this is the easiest post to reply to on this issue. The trade deadline is almost 2 months away. Our incredible winning streak crashed down to Earth tonight. I think a lot of assumptions about our strengths and weaknesses are being made while we were playing very very well, and we probably have needs that aren't particularly apparent just now.

Maybe we don't need nothing, but I think the time between now and the deadline will probably tell us otherwise.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Looking ahead, I REALLY hope that Toronto/Carolina can push Philly out of the playoffs. Could you imagine the exposure that the Jackets would get if they faced the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs?!

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Looking ahead, I REALLY hope that Toronto/Carolina can push Philly out of the playoffs. Could you imagine the exposure that the Jackets would get if they faced the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs?!

The only way this could happen is if two teams from the Atlantic are the wild card teams, the Leafs are the second wild card team and the CBJ win the Metro. Not saying it couldn't happen but that's a lot of shuffling to be done to reach this hypothetical playoff matchup. That means someone like Tampa would be the first wild card, Toronto the second wild card and both Philadelphia and one of the Caps, Pens or Rags miss the playoffs. Flyers missing, possible. The rest highly unlikely.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
The only way this could happen is if two teams from the Atlantic are the wild card teams, the Leafs are the second wild card team and the CBJ win the Metro. Not saying it couldn't happen but that's a lot of shuffling to be done to reach this hypothetical playoff matchup. That means someone like Tampa would be the first wild card, Toronto the second wild card and both Philadelphia and one of the Caps, Pens or Rags miss the playoffs. Flyers missing, possible. The rest highly unlikely.

Nah, a metro team could still end up being a WC team.

Let's say that the standings finish like this:

Metro - CBJ (first overall in East), PIT, WSH, NYR (wc1)
Atlantic - MON, OTT, BOS, TOR (wc2)

-CBJ plays TOR, MTL plays NYR (which would be an epic series) because the first overall plays WC2 and the other division winner plays WC1.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Nah, a metro team could still end up being a WC team.

Let's say that the standings finish like this:

Metro - CBJ (first overall in East), PIT, WSH, NYR (wc1)
Atlantic - MON, OTT, BOS, TOR (wc2)

-CBJ plays TOR, MTL plays NYR (which would be an epic series) because the first overall plays WC2 and the other division winner plays WC1.

I could be wrong but I thought unless both wildcards came from the same division, there would be no cross division matchups until the conference final.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I could be wrong but I thought unless both wildcards came from the same division, there would be no cross division matchups until the conference final.

Nope, there can be a cross-division series. No matter what, the #1 seed plays the WC #2 team and the other division winner plays the WC #1 team. IIRC, that is how the Islanders played the Panthers in the first round this past season, and then went on to play the Lightning in the second round.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Nope, there can be a cross-division series. No matter what, the #1 seed plays the WC #2 team and the other division winner plays the WC #1 team. IIRC, that is how the Islanders played the Panthers in the first round this past season, and then went on to play the Lightning in the second round.

Yes I believe you to be correct. It's so up in the air right now with the Metro so wide open with strong teams (even Carolina is starting to move up) and Toronto and Tampa starting to play well. Gonna be a crazy race to the playoffs this year. A good team or three are going to miss this year. CBJ better keep up the pace.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Yes I believe you to be correct. It's so up in the air right now with the Metro so wide open with strong teams (even Carolina is starting to move up) and Toronto and Tampa starting to play well. Gonna be a crazy race to the playoffs this year. A good team or three are going to miss this year. CBJ better keep up the pace.

100% agree. It's gonna be a real fun 4 month span of hockey! But I have faith in the Jackets to keep up a solid 5-3-1 pace the rest of the way out if everyone stays healthy. That would put us at 120 points to finish out the regular season lol :yo::handclap:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
1-9-2017:

Two of the next 9 games are against teams currently in a playoff position. Those two games are both against Ottawa. Ottawa is in a playoff spot, but a - 3 goal differential.

3 away, 3 at home, then 3 away. Carolina is 3 of those 9, and 2 of the 3 home games.

The 2nd road trip will include the penultimate trip out of the Eastern Time Zone for the season (Nashville).

13 points in the next 9 games would be just fine.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
1-9-2017:

Two of the next 9 games are against teams currently in a playoff position. Those two games are both against Ottawa. Ottawa is in a playoff spot, but a - 3 goal differential.

3 away, 3 at home, then 3 away. Carolina is 3 of those 9, and 2 of the 3 home games.

The 2nd road trip will include the penultimate trip out of the Eastern Time Zone for the season (Nashville).

13 points in the next 9 games would be just fine.

Just 13 points? I'm expecting more :naughty: :D

The schedule to finish out January is quite favorable. We've been a very good road team, so that's not really a concern. My expectation is that, at worst, we win 2 of 3 against Carolina and split with Ottawa. The rest of the games we play are extremely winnable. We've already beaten Tampa twice (and they're really struggling now), should have beaten Florida, dismantled the Islanders, and should have beaten the Rangers twice.

I'll place the over/under at 14.5 points for the remaining January games. Through 49 games (end of January), I predict that we'll have 74 points - or on a 124 points pace :handclap: :yo:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
For whatever reason we seem to struggle against Carolina and Ottawa. I am nervous.

According to this post on the forums, due to the NHL switching jersey providers there will be no alternate jerseys next season, so our 3rd Cannon jersey will be gone.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=126611717#post126611717

I wouldn't fully put stock in the third jersey being gone for good for two reasons:

1) Some teams (Oilers and Wild for example) are going to promote their current third jerseys to full-time status as their colored jerseys. Could see the same here, which I would support.

2) Alternates will be reintroduced at some point, most likely the following year - similar to what happened when Reebok introduced their "edge" uniforms in '07. If the cannon jersey is scrapped for next year, it could be revived again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad