Interesting Info: Part XVIII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I actually came here to ask for advice, I've been streaming for forever but I'm ready to pay a bit, and my home computer is kaput and I don't want one anymore. It'll be good to get a hockey service through our apple tv or PS4 - everyone in my house is into the Jackets now and it doesn't help to have to fiddle with a rando stream everytime.

So do I go for game centre live?
What's with all these blackouts I keep hearing about? I'm in Massachusetts btw.
What about the playoffs? I don't get the extra nbc channels with the games on them. Do people use a vpn ever to get around the blackouts?
Have you ever gotten a prorated deal when you purchased partway through the season?

I was excited to do this but I'm just realizing how expensive the full season package is and how it still might keep me from watching the playoffs, and I'm kind of pissed.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Check out psvue on ps4? You could do a minimum package on there and get your playoffs covered for 2 months and then just pay for the NHL subscription during the season?

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I actually came here to ask for advice, I've been streaming for forever but I'm ready to pay a bit, and my home computer is kaput and I don't want one anymore. It'll be good to get a hockey service through our apple tv or PS4 - everyone in my house is into the Jackets now and it doesn't help to have to fiddle with a rando stream everytime.

What about the playoffs? I don't get the extra nbc channels with the games on them. Do people use a vpn ever to get around the blackouts?
Have you ever gotten a prorated deal when you purchased partway through the season?

I was excited to do this but I'm just realizing how expensive the full season package is and how it still might keep me from watching the playoffs, and I'm kind of pissed.

The bolded explains a lot! :laugh:

Not sure what the partial season costs, but NHL Gamecenter on Appletv was $159 up front. Looks like $99 is current deal for remainder of season in US. Some gamers of the system advise opening the account as if you were in another country (e.g. Netherlands) where the cost is $99 up front and $50 once at mid-season, and also avoids some blackouts that way. Not legal, and given what I do for a living, not worth the risk.
And you are correct, Gamecenter does NOT provide any playoff access. My Apple TV offers NBC, NBCSN, CNBC and USA as "free" channels, which should get you all playoff games (I think). I'm not a PS4 guy, but I remember that PSVue offered a package that included those 4 networks, and Gamecenter can be downloaded to the PS4 as well.

I probably am wasting money on Gamecenter, but I have never had the patience to find other sources than to simply turn on the tv and find a game I wanted to watch (which I probably don't do often enough to justify the cost, but the freedom/ease to do it apparently is worth the cost to me). I also am in an area where I get FS-OH, so all the CBJ games are a no-brainer (I watch ALL the CBJ games. I even DVR the games I go to live to watch again later - so why Gamecenter? :help:).

I lived in Boston for 5 years...some time ago. Loved it; did not realize, MM, that you were outside of Ohio, let alone in Mass. Good for you, and good for us here that you are a CBJ fan!

Although the first line above was 100% in jest when written, your location actually may explain my initial reaction to many of your posts. You seem to have an objective view, but less emotionally tied to the results/players (yet obviously a big fan given the number of posts and depth of your analysis). Those two observations didn't always mesh in my own head. Perhaps a combination of the the Bruins in your backyard, different media coverage (not FS-OH and the Dispatch) and that New England edge I still remember, explain your ability to be invested yet cooler toward some parts of CBJ. I think there are many other regular posters (or lurkers like me) who are relatively objective, but they (like me) are quicker to respond to results/emotions, and are more likely to hang on to players/characters than you. Not a negative, just a difference I hadn't been able to put a finger on. Not that my perception now is right, but damnit, I think it is!!!! :laugh:. I like your consistency and edge, even if I don't always agree with it; knowing that you live in Massachusetts provides even more flavor to your posts for me.

T

Last edited:

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
You can ask outsiders to check, but I doubt anything about the team, where they're from, or what their identity is, is conveyed by the flag logo. You are clearly seeing somethings in it that non-Ohioans can't see. To them it just conveys stars and stripes: "America! " "Go generic sports franchise!"

It's the state flag of Ohio, one of the most recognizable and distinct state flags in the union and we're from Ohio. How doesn't that convey where the team is from? If outsiders don't know what it is that's not our problem.

If it's civil war imagery that needs to be present well the cannon logo is right there on the shoulders. Though, I preferred the kepi hat. I thought it was a more elegant solution to the same problem and it was designed in tandem with the flag logo so they had the same visual weight. It was also designed to be used as a shoulder patch so it's legible at small sizes. The cannon was designed for a crest and is far too detailed to be used at that size. Plus the background of the oval was red so it incorporated more red onto the jersey than the white circle that houses the cannon.

When people say the cannon is "generic" I think they're saying it's stock. It's clip art. And they're not wrong. It's like they googled cannon and live traced the first photograph they found and called it a day. If we're going to use a cannon fulltime I'd rather go with something like the cannon in profile that SB Nation uses.

large_jacketscannon.com.full.21922.png

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
F1: Brandon Saad - Alexander Wennberg - Cam Atkinson
F2: Scott Hartnell - Brandon Dubinsky - Nick Foligno
F3: Boone Jenner - William Karlsson - Josh Anderson
F4: Matt Calvert - Lukas Sedlak - Sam Gagner

Torts reads HF. Boone out of the "top 6". Glad to see Hartsy get bumped up. He's played very well in his reduced role. That second line is pure sandpaper/grit/whatever you wanna call it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's the state flag of Ohio, one of the most recognizable and distinct state flags in the union and we're from Ohio. How doesn't that convey where the team is from?

Because the way the flag is displayed makes it extremely difficult to recognize - not only is it backwards, it obliterates any possible recognition of the single most distinctive feature (the burgee/swallowtail shape) - thus making it look generic and indistinct unless you pay close attention and know what you're looking for. That's why.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Hey BoonesJenner and Forepar, thanks for the advice. I'll just pay for gamecentre for now and cable in April so I can watch the playoffs.

The bolded explains a lot! :laugh:

I lived in Boston for 5 years...some time ago. Loved it; did not realize, MM, that you were outside of Ohio, let alone in Mass. Good for you, and good for us here that you are a CBJ fan!

Although the first line above was 100% in jest when written, your location actually may explain my initial reaction to many of your posts. You seem to have an objective view, but less emotionally tied to the results/players (yet obviously a big fan given the number of posts and depth of your analysis). Those two observations didn't always mesh in my own head. Perhaps a combination of the the Bruins in your backyard, different media coverage (not FS-OH and the Dispatch) and that New England edge I still remember, explain your ability to be invested yet cooler toward some parts of CBJ. I think there are many other regular posters (or lurkers like me) who are relatively objective, but they (like me) are quicker to respond to results/emotions, and are more likely to hang on to players/characters than you. Not a negative, just a difference I hadn't been able to put a finger on. Not that my perception now is right, but damnit, I think it is!!!! :laugh:. I like your consistency and edge, even if I don't always agree with it; knowing that you live in Massachusetts provides even more flavor to your posts for me.

T

I don't know if anyone who has been on the other end of my Foligno arguments would call me detached. Maybe detached from reality. :laugh:

I've been extremely emotionally invested in this team for as long as they've existed. I haven't lived in Ohio since 2005, and have no family there. My Ohio friends are still my best friends, they just don't live there anymore. A few of us were together to watch the Flyers game. I'm sure the neighbors heard us when Foligno scored in OT.

I don't think you'd actually associate me with the New England mindset, not if you knew me. I came here a few years ago for grad school and I've never been able to handle the sense of humor. A lot of folks here are just vicious.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
F1: Brandon Saad - Alexander Wennberg - Cam Atkinson
F2: Scott Hartnell - Brandon Dubinsky - Nick Foligno
F3: Boone Jenner - William Karlsson - Josh Anderson
F4: Matt Calvert - Lukas Sedlak - Sam Gagner

Torts reads HF. Boone out of the "top 6". Glad to see Hartsy get bumped up. He's played very well in his reduced role. That second line is pure sandpaper/grit/whatever you wanna call it.

I do love a good experiment. We always want to know where else chemistry can be found.

But my first take is that those lines are top heavy. We look more like a normal team, in other words easy to shut down. I doubt Gagner's line scores half as much without Hartnell.

I don't get putting Cam on the top line. If you have a player who can score despite his subpar linemates, shouldn't you leave him there?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Hart-Dubi-Foligno is not fast enough.

I kinda wish Calvert was on a line with Dubi and Foligno. Or Anderson, with Foligno back on the left side. Either would be good puck possession lines.

Saad-Wennberg-Atkinson
Calvert-Dubinsky-Foligno
Hartnell-Karlsson-Anderson
Jenner-Sedlak-Gagner

or

Saad-Wennberg-Atkinson
Foligno-Dubinsky-Anderson
Hartnell-Karlsson-Gagner
Jenner-Sedlak-Calvert

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I like the look of the new lines. Two guys that can carry the puck up ice and make a play on each our top three lines this way (despite Harntell's skating he can still do this). I think this is what limited Jenner - Dubi. Neither are particularly good at carrying puck up ice and making a play. I think Foligno makes any line he's on better so I'm curious how Dubi looks next to him.

The main challenge I see is I'm not sure who we will match defensively against the opponents best. I suppose we might got power vs. power with Saad - Wennberg- Atkinson.

We also followed up PP with either Karlsson's line (if the 2nd unit was out last) rr Saad filled in on Dubi's line for Cam (if the 1st unit was out last). That is disrupted.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Hey BoonesJenner and Forepar, thanks for the advice. I'll just pay for gamecentre for now and cable in April so I can watch the playoffs.

I don't know if anyone who has been on the other end of my Foligno arguments would call me detached. Maybe detached from reality. :laugh:

I've been extremely emotionally invested in this team for as long as they've existed. I haven't lived in Ohio since 2005, and have no family there. My Ohio friends are still my best friends, they just don't live there anymore. A few of us were together to watch the Flyers game. I'm sure the neighbors heard us when Foligno scored in OT.

I don't think you'd actually associate me with the New England mindset, not if you knew me. I came here a few years ago for grad school and I've never been able to handle the sense of humor. A lot of folks here are just vicious.

are you in western Mass? My partner teaches college at UMass Amherst. She's there 3 days/week, I go often

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
The CBJ will officially cross the season midway point 1st in the league regardless of outcome of Tampa game. Amazing season so far and hoping it just continues getting better.:handclap::yo:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Yep, that's exactly where I'm at. :)

I was just up buying a car from Northampton VW- the transmission in our old one finally died on one of her visits. Purchase took 2 visits on account of the holidays- I watched the Jackets/Habs game at the Applebees near the mall in Hadley :laugh: And I drove up last week listening to Jackets/Rangers :rant: as I navigated the snowstorm

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I was just up buying a car from Northampton VW- the transmission in our old one finally died on one of her visits. Purchase took 2 visits on account of the holidays- I watched the Jackets/Habs game at the Applebees near the mall in Hadley :laugh: And I drove up last week listening to Jackets/Rangers :rant: as I navigated the snowstorm

The good news is that hockey is always on tv here. Way bigger than basketball.
The bad news is that it's impossible to commandeer a television to watch the Jackets if it's a Bruins night.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Hey major major, I have Gamecenter Live. If you don't have those channels on cable, don't get Gamecenter to make up for it. I stop using Gamecenter entirely for the postseason. I think it's worth the money for the regular season though. The quality is excellent and the amount of hockey you have the ability to watch is ridiculous.

But it's been useless for me for the postseason. Unless something has changed, don't buy it for that. I can usually find decent HD-quality streams on reddit. PM me if you're unfamiliar with reddit and I can link you to where I find streams. I watched the entire MLB postseason in HD from reddit. Haha

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Code:
Hey major major, I have Gamecenter Live. If you don't have those channels on cable, don't get Gamecenter to make up for it. I stop using Gamecenter entirely for the postseason. I think it's worth the money for the regular season though. The quality is excellent and the amount of hockey you have the ability to watch is ridiculous.

But it's been useless for me for the postseason. Unless something has changed, don't buy it for that. I can usually find decent HD-quality streams on reddit. PM me if you're unfamiliar with reddit and I can link you to where I find streams. I watched the entire MLB postseason in HD from reddit. Haha

I just got game center, paying by the month. Worth it so far. :)

In the playoffs I'll just pay for cable for a month (or two). :naughty:

I have been streaming for forever and it's been easier than ever now that it's curated on reddit. But still not that reliable, and the quality not quite as good. Now that everyone in my house wants to watch the Jackets it's a little harder to say "Hey guys sorry I just need to close some more popup ads on the stream". The real kicker: I don't want a personal computer - weird I know.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Code:

I just got game center, paying by the month. Worth it so far. :)

In the playoffs I'll just pay for cable for a month (or two). :naughty:

I have been streaming for forever and it's been easier than ever now that it's curated on reddit. But still not that reliable, and the quality not quite as good. Now that everyone in my house wants to watch the Jackets it's a little harder to say "Hey guys sorry I just need to close some more popup ads on the stream". The real kicker: I don't want a personal computer - weird I know.

I think you'll continue to be happy with it. It's nice catching the west coast games too if you're a night owl like myself. The service has really improved this season and last. There has to be a way to get national games though.. for that price it's kind of absurd that we can't watch every game.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think you'll continue to be happy with it. It's nice catching the west coast games too if you're a night owl like myself. The service has really improved this season and last. There has to be a way to get national games though.. for that price it's kind of absurd that we can't watch every game.

Oh yeah, a lot of two game nights for me. Watching Jets now. They're often team #2.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Ryan Lambert still pissing on CBJ season with his midseason awards....

"JACK ADAMS
1 – Mike Sullivan, Pittsburgh Penguins
2 – Mike Babcock, Toronto Maple Leafs
3 – John Tortorella, Columbus Blue Jackets

Unlike John Tortorella, who everyone is going to pick in keeping with the Bad Coach Of Bad Team With Huge PDO corollary, Mike Sullivan actually just has the best team in hockey, and he has it humming along the way it has for 100 games at this point."

"BOLD PREDICTION FOR SECOND HALF
– Columbus falls apart around Game 65 and loses 10 of their last 17, and people act like they’re totally shocked and can’t believe this team didn’t shoot 11 percent all season."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-mi...layers-biggest-disappointments-140032336.html

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Ryan Lambert still pissing on CBJ season with his midseason awards....

"JACK ADAMS
1 – Mike Sullivan, Pittsburgh Penguins
2 – Mike Babcock, Toronto Maple Leafs
3 – John Tortorella, Columbus Blue Jackets

Unlike John Tortorella, who everyone is going to pick in keeping with the Bad Coach Of Bad Team With Huge PDO corollary, Mike Sullivan actually just has the best team in hockey, and he has it humming along the way it has for 100 games at this point."

"BOLD PREDICTION FOR SECOND HALF
– Columbus falls apart around Game 65 and loses 10 of their last 17, and people act like they’re totally shocked and can’t believe this team didn’t shoot 11 percent all season."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-mi...layers-biggest-disappointments-140032336.html

Haha ha I love Lambert.

The Jackets could win two cups and then have a down year, and this guy would say "See!".

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jackets in forefront of elimating old hockey tradition

After putting on skates for 27 years, Brandon Dubinsky doesn't mind not having to lace 'em up twice on game days anymore.

Coach John Tortorella eyed the age-old hockey tradition of morning skates and eliminated them. His Columbus Blue Jackets are atop the NHL standings, and they may be leading the charge to kill morning skates for good.

To skate or not to skate has been a question for several years now, but the Blue Jackets' success and the condensed schedule caused by the World Cup and bye weeks this season have sparked plenty of debate about whether the morning skate is an unnecessary relic of the past.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...-jackets-success-renews-debate-morning-skates

No wonder the players seem to like Torts. Not having to get up early 82 times a year would make me love a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad