Interesting Info: Part XVI (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20152016&type=LEA

Last AND the other bottom feeders have games in hand on the CBJ.

The site that posts playoff possibility percentages has the CBJ at 1.1% of getting into them now.
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

It's wait until next year time. Again.

Oh come on now there is plenty of time for this team to get hotter than a fire cracker and end up with 88 points and secure the 8th pick in the draft.
That seems to make most CBJ fans happy - just finishing strong, get a top 10 draft pick, and shake up the roster! :)

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
If you would have told me in October that in mid December we would be below the Edmonton Oilers, Buffalo Sabres, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Carolina Hurricanes in the standings....I would have laughed at you. :(

I told you it was over at 0-7, and you pretty much did laugh. :laugh:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Most fans don't realize how hard it is to make up points in the standings. I hold to the Nov. 1 deadline, that the large majority playoff positions are set.

Less than 1/6th of the season seems pretty early for playoff races to be largely set. Does a points system compared to a winning percentage system really make that big of a difference?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Having no games in hand compounds the issue.

I guess you could say that's because this season got out of hand

giphy.gif

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
You can make this prediction in the same way I can say the Jackets would have gone 11-10-3 in the last 24 games if Richards had been the head coach.

What prediction?

It was a statement of fact. We didn't win 5 or 6 games in a row when Bob was playing, which would have been required to get us back in the race. What are you even arguing?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What prediction?

It was a statement of fact. We didn't win 5 or 6 games in a row when Bob was playing, which would have been required to get us back in the race. What are you even arguing?

NVM I read your post wrong - as saying the team wouldn't have won the next 5-6 even if Bob played. ("We weren't GOING TO WIN" the needed 5-6...")

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Naw, we weren't winning the needed 5 or 6 in a row even with Bob, which would be required to even sniff the race.

Who knows, right? If Bob plays we may close that game against LA and win against the Isles. It wasn't too late (it still isn't, I suppose) to start a run. But with McE, I'm sure it won't happen.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Finally found something that the Jackets lead the league in: Games Played. And still dead last in points. :laugh: or :cry: ?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 14m14 minutes ago
Dreger on TSN Radio "I believe 100% Jarmo Kekainnen would want to trade Ryan Johansen. No doubt about it"

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 7h7 hours ago

Friedman: "Columbus - teams think they're going to trade (Ryan Johansen). I don't know. I just think it's hard to find guys like that." #CBJ

Guys...can we not throw the important stuff in this thread?

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I was going through Urheilulehti's Blue Jackets reports starting from 2012:

A long article from the time announced he was leaving Jokerit for Columbus. Could be interesting to go through with Google Translate. Here a some picks:

http://www.urheilulehti.fi/jaakiekko/muistatko-mita-kirjoitit-jokeri-areenan-seinaan-jarmo-kekalainen

Do you remember what you wrote on the wall of Jokerit Areena, Jarmo Kekäläinen?

"It would be a journalistic shortcut to highlight Ilari Filppula's, Riku Hahl's or for example Steve Moses's acquisation.

There is nothing newsworthy that Kekäläinen built with Hjallis Harkimo's financial mandate the strongest and most balanced ice hockey team to Ilmala. This is about other things besides ice hockey.

I remember Kekäläinen's first press conference still. He underlined collective accountability. Half of the ice hockey reporters were laughing into their sleeves that now someone has learned fancy words in the Americas.

Kekäläinen didn't step into the ivory tower to tell that from now on we work this way. That now there is only one sheriff in this town and its me.

As his first act Kekäläinen went into the core of Jokerit's junior hockey. He went there to show in concrete examples how the standard of daily work will be put on a level that could yield worldwide success (NHL draft picks etc.) five or ten years later. Kekäläinen put stress on that there is no hurry. That now they aren't running against time but quality factors. Matti Virmanen (former CEO) and Hjallis Harkimo guided Jokeri ship only focused to that championship must be win now, no matter was it summer, autumn, winter or spring. "Everything here now! Where is Machulda!?"

The ten standards Kekäläinen brought:

2) Gather talents to Jokerit youth team to play, train and grow

3) Offer them the best and most ambitious coaching in Finland

5) Keep the rim raised for daily work at the top level of the world - don't just be content with Finland's level

6) Carry the responsibility, of what happens between junior teams and first team, yourself.

7) Work likewise with coaching. Let young coaches grow into what is it being a Jokeri and the standards.

9) Teach the whole organization into honesty, responsibility and openness - in both weak and strong moments.

Kekäläinen didn't preach these things from the podium when arriving at Jokerit but rolled up his sleeves and got to work. Kekäläinen wasn't a GM for Jokerit. He was a teacher. He noted that the work has to begin with basics, a piece at a time and day-by-day. He heavily invested into the junior work.

For example if Teuvo Teräväinen wasn't playing well in the A juniors couple years ago, Kekäläinen wanted to know through Tomek Valtonen's raport, whether Teräväinen had an exam week in school or what was the problem. And in two-way-accountability you don't just note things but offer instant fixes. During last season Kekäläinen called every night to A-juniors head coach Tomek Valtonen.

B) Hiring Kekäläinen proves that in the NHL they also appreciate the groundwork. They just don't watch from the local text tv if Kekäläinen has won the SM-liiga with Jokerit or not. NHL headhunters have done their background checks on Jokerit junior work. Championships will come. That is for sure.

What did Kekäläinen wrote on the Arena wall? Dreams, goals and work."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad