Interesting Info: Part XVI (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Is it the annual groin injury for Bob?

As I said last night, Torts has been introduced to overworking Bob and watching him get injured. It only happens every year. Not sure if we are surprised when it happens or not. Our head coaches seem to think he's durable enough to play 65+ game a season. Perhaps if we started seasons better, thanks in part to Bob sucking in October every year, our head coaches wouldn't get desperate enough to think it's a good idea.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

Dang it. Dang it....dang it!!

Currency means nothin' if you still ain't free.

Hopefully Clarkson can play without nagging injuries from this point on. Something that the team is missing now is conquering physical presence and there is only one battering ram that can take over whole games that way. Upgrade over Lucic.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Currency means nothin' if you still ain't free.

Hopefully Clarkson can play without nagging injuries from this point on. Something that the team is missing now is conquering physical presence and there is only one battering ram that can take over whole games that way. Upgrade over Lucic.

Lucic is on second line with Carter and Toffoli... He has 10 goals and 18 points this season. Clarkson is an upgrade over Lucic? Surely you're being sarcastic (I hope).

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Lucic is on second line with Carter and Toffoli... He has 10 goals and 18 points this season. Clarkson is an upgrade over Lucic? Surely you're being sarcastic (I hope).

Yeah, Lucic seems to work despite LA Kings style of play differing from his greatest strengths. Or perhaps because that it works. I don't know, haven't really followed the life and deeds of Milan Lucic.

Devil is in the detail. Clarkson has played over ten minutes for Tortorella only once, clocking his first point of the season in the process. While Clarkson was wearing the jacket those tight games were turned into CBJ's favour more often. Imagine what he can do when nurtured back to full health. It's like acquiring a new forward.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Like I said, im holding judgement on clarkson until he gets some real time under Torts.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Blue Jackets players had homework to do on the long flight Wednesday from Columbus to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Among many barks and shouts during practice, Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella — still seething over a 3-2 overtime loss to Los Angeles on Tuesday — told his players to write down their answer to a simple question:

Why?

Tortorella, less than two months on the job, has been confounded by this team’s sporadic highs and stunning lows.

Why can’t the Blue Jackets bottle Saturday’s performance at Philadelphia, a 4-1 win?

Why do the Blue Jackets turn in such listless performances as the home losses on Friday to Florida and Tuesday to Los Angeles?

Why does it so often look like the players don’t care?

Why does a team up against the NHL’s salary cap sit near the bottom of the NHL standings?

“We certainly are searching for information,” Tortorella said. “It’s still a work in progress as far as understanding what it is to play as a team, what it is to be a good teammate. It’s a work in progress.”

Tortorella delivered the homework assignment, players said, at the end of a practice in which he shouted often about their pace and attention to detail.

General manager Jarmo Kekalainen said his club’s wild inconsistencies are an issue that management has been trying to figure out “every day for a while now.”

“We see the glimpses of good and then we see the bad,” Kekalainen said. “Every day we’re trying to figure out why we can’t play on a consistently high level.

“Here’s a team (Los Angeles) that we outplayed in LA and won the game (3-2 on Nov. 5). And (Tuesday) wasn’t even a contest. I can’t honestly say that we deserved even one point out of that game.”

Hmm. Maybe these guys aren't as close knit as once believed.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I bet Joey put 'Why not?' and then did this

horatio-s-sunglasses-o.gif

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner....

I predict you'll find naming Foligno as captain split the room.

I remember talking to a high school football coach once, a real successful one who certainly knows a thing or two about what it takes to win. What was interesting was that his teams didn't have captains, for three reasons.

One was so that any senior could put it on his college applications that he was a captain on a good team.

Two was that it forced guys to share the leadership mantle. Some would invariably rise up through words, and some through actions, but it was fluid. Maybe someone who didn't say two words all year would step up during the playoffs; having actual captains could stifle that.

Three was because they'd had captains previously as voted on by the players. And there had been an incident where the players in one season voted for a group that couldn't lead ants to a picnic, so it was set aside by the coaching staff in favor of their own selections. This led to a disaster between the coaches and the players; the players felt that their voice wasn't being heard, and the coaches felt that the players were being idiots and needed to grow up and fall in line. So it was decided that there would be no captains going forward. They had a terrific year, so it was tried again the next year, and lo and behold the team was better off without actual captains.

Obviously there's a difference between high school and pro, but I'd argue the differences between football and hockey aren't that significant that it strains the analogy too much. And this is also something I had in mind months (and years) back when I said that there was no pressing need to have an actual captain.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Mayor-
I agree at times it helps - especially with Boys to not have a captain. They are still maturing and the leader often comes down to the biggest and/or loudest.

But in professional hockey we are dealing with men. It's not always the most talented guy, or the funniest guy or the loudest guy. And it's rarely ever the goalie. Usually a veteran guy but sometimes can be a younger guy. It's the guy who can lead AND a guy that can be followed by his team mates (by definition a leader is someone who has followers - they can be good or evil, Hitler was a leader, but they have followers). If a group of 23 guys don't have a guy they can all agree to follow, then I think that is the problem. 23 grown ass men who should have the same goal in mind (winning the cup) should be able to unite behind a leader trying to take them there. If they can't then maybe it's the leader - but maybe it's the followers?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I will never understand the obsession over whether or not there is a captain and whom that captain is.

IF the choice of captain bums you out be a f-ing grown up and get over it and play better hockey. That is a ridiculously lame reason for poor play IMO.

You don't need a C to be a leader. If your C isn't a leader than someone needs to have the balls to be that leader.

If that is the reason for a divided and pissy locker room than F those guys even more. That's juvenile.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Just a few random thoughts...............

1) I was one who thought they should name a Captain. Pretty much because it's just a standard thing to do in sports.

2) I thought Foligno was a good choice. He plays hard and seems reasonably intelligent and has a bit of an edge to him. Dubinsky seemed a bit too rah rah, "I'm such a hard a$$" cliched to me.

3) The Jackets actually had an opportunity to establish a culture that was unique (or very unusual) in the NHL-a team without a Captain. It was a chance to go "out of the box" and differentiate the CBJ from every other NHL team.

4) This is all sort of ridiculous as every year 14 out of 30 Captain-led teams don't make the playoffs and 15 out of the remaining 16 don't win The Cup.:laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...kers/2015/12/saads-first-taste-of-losing.html

No way Brandon Saad envisioned this when he signed a long-term contract with the Blue Jackets after his trade from the Chicago Blackhawks in June.

Saad won two Stanley Cups in three seasons with the Blackhawks. Now he’s on a Blue Jackets’ club that has -- once again -- played its way out of the playoff picture before the first measurable snowfall in central Ohio.

“Nah, no regrets,” Saad told The Dispatch earlier this week. “I've never been through this ... anything like this. Right from the start of the season. It’s been a tough season in here so far for everybody, but it’s a learning curve.

“A lot of players go through this at some point during their careers. You can learn from it. You know there are going to rough patches in your career if you play the game long enough. I’m trying to learn from it, get better and help us get out of it.”

The Blue Jackets (11-17-2) have lost five of their last six games, including a 6-4 loss in Winnipeg on Thursday. Thursday’s loss put the Jackets in last place in the NHL heading into tonight’s game vs. the New York Islanders in Nationwide Arena.

A little perspective: The Blackhawks didn’t suffer their 17th regulation loss last season until Jan. 31. One year earlier, the Blackhawks didn't lose No. 17 until March 27. In 2012-13, the 48-game season when Saad was a rookie, they lost seven times in regulation the whole campaign.

Asked if something was missing in the Blue Jackets' dressing room -- could he feel a big difference from the room in Chicago? -- Saad gave a honest, reasoned answer.

“The whole (Blackhawks’) dressing room – not just (captain Jonathan Toews) – is so experienced,” Saad said. “They’ve seen it all, and they do the right things every day. It’s almost a self-sustaining room because of all those guys, and Tazer is a huge example for everybody.”

On a personal level, Saad – mostly a top-six fixture in Chicago in the previous two seasons with the Blackhawks – has played on all four lines in Columbus, including a recent spell on the fourth line. In a few games, he’s been off the power play unit, too.

“It’s tough,” Saad said. “(The losing) … it’s still new to me.

“We have to stay positive and we have to keep working. We have to bring it every night and start closing off games. We’ve let some games and points slip away lately, and that’s so frustrating.”

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If you would have told me in October that in mid December we would be below the Edmonton Oilers, Buffalo Sabres, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Carolina Hurricanes in the standings....I would have laughed at you. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad