Interesting Info: Part XVI (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
It seems the Blue Jackets are becoming less a team and more a group of individuals. Lest we put the whole blame on the captain, the lack of discipline and leadership in the last three games is telling as well.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I don't know if you've ever had a boss that yells at you. It's great for a month or so here and there. But longer than that and people just shut him out.

I've been in management/supervision for over a decade. I can count the times I've had to get down and dirty, yelling at my various teams on one hand. It's unproductive. The best atmospheres, the ones where everyone works together and gets results, are the ones where I lead by example, get my hands dirty right alongside my team and tackle problems head on. But that certainly doesn't mean screaming at folks til they do what I say. My guys right now will do anything for each other.

Is it the same in sports? I'm not sure. But having someone scream in your face day in and day out seems counterproductive to me. In the heat of the moment I could see words flying. But if it were me that act would wear thin real fast.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I don't know if you've ever had a boss that yells at you. It's great for a month or so here and there. But longer than that and people just shut him out.

Calling someone out doesn't mean yelling at you. Lots of gray area.

I have to do this sort of thing with my employees all the time and they'd say we have a great culture. It's a responsibility to maintain productivity.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Good for Torts. Hope he strips letters , and makes players earn them. In Portys piece , Dubi pretty much backs up everything Torts says. Fact of the matter the team has way more talent then their record. They were predicted a playoff team by nearly everyone. Night in, and night out, they don't play a full game , with Torts saying the players weren't ready to play when the puck dropped. You have Johansen, being benched for effort nearly every couple games .Hartnell agreed with many things as well. Management screwed up big time naming Foligno captain. Not to mention his play has been dismal, he's on pace for 38 points this season . It's a results business . And if anyone thinks this team has proper leadership , and our record is warranted , so be it.

Also, I see Torts mentioning conditioning again, and that they will use practice during the season with hopes to get the players where they need to be. The positives I see, players like , Boone, Wennberg, Wild Bill, Calvert, have all taken big steps under Torts. Personally, I hope we can swing a deal with Nashville that would return a Philip Forsberg, and Jones , for Johansen and whatever is needed. If a player doesn't want to bring it at 100 percent each night, get players here that will. Also, Rychel and Anderson should be called up. They are 100% the type of player that would thrive under Torts. And would probably produce as much as most of the vets in front of them .

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
This is good for the organization. To fix something the correct way, you have to break it down and then rebuild. Torts is right about addressing mistakes, sloppiness face-to-face, or it will keep surfacing. If an individual gets their feelings hurt and cannot separate business from personal, they need to grow up.

Right now, Torts is putting Joey through "boot-camp." If Joey listens and it clicks, he will be a dominant center.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Good for Torts. Hope he strips letters , and makes players earn them. In Portys piece , Dubi pretty much backs up everything Torts says. Fact of the matter the team has way more talent then their record. They were predicted a playoff team by nearly everyone. Night in, and night out, they don't play a full game , with Torts saying the players weren't ready to play when the puck dropped. You have Johansen, being benched for effort nearly every couple games .Hartnell agreed with many things as well. Management screwed up big time naming Foligno captain. Not to mention his play has been dismal, he's on pace for 38 points this season . It's a results business . And if anyone thinks this team has proper leadership , and our record is warranted , so be it.

If the C goes, so do the A's -- all of them. If this season is on "leadership," it's on the entire "leadership group."

Why do we hear from Hartnell in that "leadership" piece by Porty? Why not Jenner, who wears an A?

Early in the season we vilified Johansen for not being as urgent as... wait for it... Nick Foligno.

I'm a fan of Foligno, but that's not what this is about. What it's about is pointing out that this "leadership" angle being peddled by Portzline isn't a linear thing. It seems to "purposefully?) forget certain parts of the story, and is comfortable seeking and presenting the story from certain, but not all, quarters.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Because Hartsy is honest to the media. Boone is a boring interview. Porty went to Hartsy because he knew he could get some substance.

Or because Hartnell says incendiary things, and AP knows it? It's a goddam "leadership" piece and he didn't interview one of the alternate captains. That tells me AP either went looking for the answers he wanted or he's lazy.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Or because Hartnell says incendiary things, and AP knows it? It's a goddam "leadership" piece and he didn't interview one of the alternate captains. That tells me AP either went looking for the answers he wanted or he's lazy.

It's a leadership thing plain and simple by looking at the results . Is this team the worst team in the nhl talent wise ? Seems to me, that Torts every night seems to be indicating an effort issue .

As for Dubi, Boone, Hartnell, maybe they have been respectful of the C and tried not to step on toes . Both said its way too much Mr nice guy. Torts said u have to be able to call people out if effort isn't there. Seems like Torts has given his blessing that leadership is poor , and regardless of whom has the C on their jersey, he wants it fixed . If foligno can't handle that , he will be replaced . Good forTorts. Seeing Johansen half ass it night in and night out, if Foligno isn't doing everything possible as captain to address personally, he should be removed as captain. This piece seems to be a shot across Folignos bow that either u start acting like a captain , or we will name a new one .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

He interviewed Dubinsky who confirmed what Torts said . It's too much mr nice guy, trying to be their friend rather than calling them out when necessary.

He interviewed Hartnell, because he's a grizzled veteran who's played in the cup finals, and played under a really good captain n Pronger . And who has been in the Nhl for a long time .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Given that he described the interviews as "cathartic" on Twitter, it may be a bit of both.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
It's a leadership thing plain and simple by looking at the results . Is this team the worst team in the nhl talent wise ? Seems to me, that Torts every night seems to be indicating an effort issue .

As for Dubi, Boone, Hartnell, maybe they have been respectful of the C and tried not to step on toes . Both said its way too much Mr nice guy. Torts said u have to be able to call people out if effort isn't there. Seems like Torts has given his blessing that leadership is poor , and regardless of whom has the C on their jersey, he wants it fixed . If foligno can't handle that , he will be replaced . Good forTorts. Seeing Johansen half ass it night in and night out, if Foligno isn't doing everything possible as captain to address personally, he should be removed as captain. This piece seems to be a shot across Folignos bow that either u start acting like a captain , or we will name a new one .

This only works if Tortorella, Dubinski, and Hartnell all expressed these concerns directly to Foligno earlier and went public only after not seeing any change from him. Otherwise, if this is a blindside, then they are the problem not Foligno.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Sounds like Goloubef should be coming back soon. I think he was a part that was not talked about much that was doing really well for this team

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's a leadership thing plain and simple by looking at the results . Is this team the worst team in the nhl talent wise ?

No really, I think it's the music. Think about it, plain and simple. Is this the worst team in the NHL? And it's not the least talented! :sarcasm:

You might be right, or completely wrong. I wouldn't expect Dubi to change one bit whoever the captain is, but maybe he did.

Torts: "I haven’t even thought … to me, the letters are letters. You need to develop a leadership group, and it’s not always a guy with a letter"

Seems to me like the fans are falling into the old trap of fixating on the letters. It makes sense if you don't have detailed knowledge of what the leadership is, but it can be really misleading too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad