Interesting Info: Part XV (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Color we disappointed with behind the battle. It was pretty lame measured up to years past. Should just stick with insider stuff and then draft as opposed to development camp

IHeartZherdev*

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/32173/jackets-arent-a-one-hit-wonder-says-modin

Cool to see yet another former Jacket settle down in Columbus when his playing days were done. Columbus may not be NYC or Chicago in terms of nightlife, but players certainly recognize what a great place it is to live (excepting Jeff Carter).

Why is Modin not working for the team? He'd be a great asset to the franchise, whether on the hockey side or just on the broadcast/PR side or something. Love Freddy Mo, class act.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Why is Modin not working for the team? He'd be a great asset to the franchise, whether on the hockey side or just on the broadcast/PR side or something. Love Freddy Mo, class act.

The disability insurance premium would be prohibitive.:sarcasm::laugh:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
KHL top scoring forward and also champion of last season's Gagarin Cup Sergei Mozjakin was drafted by Columbus (9th round) in 2002... today I read.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
KHL top scoring forward and also champion of last season's Gagarin Cup Sergei Mozjakin was drafted by Columbus (9th round) in 2002... today I read.

Yes. Mozyakin has been discussed to death around here. He was offered a contract by Doug MacLean but had no interest in coming to the US. End of story.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Guess all those McElhinney jerseys are out of date.

@Aportzline · 4m

#CBJ G Curtis McElhinney will wear No. 30 this season. He was No. 31 previously. #offseasonnews

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I found it good fodder, since I'm feeling unusually jovial.

The Nash debacle, excruciatingly drawn out and painful almost every day he wasn’t traded, ultimately gave birth to a new era.

Hindsight may have vindicated (Howson)

I'm reminded of what Gul Dukat said: "A true victory is to make your enemy see they were wrong to oppose you in the first place. To force them to acknowledge your greatness."

:nod:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Going to be a lot of signs changed at the Arena in the next few weeks. Nationwide has dropped the frame logo and is going to a revamped version of the old N and eagle logo.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Jason Bourne is awesome. As far as hockey writers who write about gameplay, he's got to be the best.

I think he's on to something important about the Jackets here:

"For a top half puck possession team, their physical numbers were astounding. They tied for the NHL lead in hits with LA, and lead the NHL in road hits - which factors out scorer bias in home rinks - by miles, racking up a full 107 more than the next closest team. This damage came from a group that managed to end up outside the NHL’s 10 most penalized teams."

This corresponds with what we've seen: the Jackets attack like a swarm of bees anytime they lose the puck. I'd expect this trend to change next year, at least somewhat. Of our top 5 hitters from last year, Mackenzie and Comeau are gone. (Jenner, Dubinsky, and Foligno are the others). That says to me that hitting isn't a priority for Jarmo.

Also, I've noticed that Tyutin has slowed down a lot, so he really has to rely on obstruction, but I think this is a new thing for him because he used to be able to keep up better.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jason Bourne is awesome. As far as hockey writers who write about gameplay, he's got to be the best.

"For a top half puck possession team, their physical numbers were astounding. They tied for the NHL lead in hits with LA, and lead the NHL in road hits - which factors out scorer bias in home rinks - by miles, racking up a full 107 more than the next closest team. This damage came from a group that managed to end up outside the NHL’s 10 most penalized teams."

This corresponds with what we've seen: the Jackets attack like a swarm of bees anytime they lose the puck. I'd expect this trend to change next year, at least somewhat. Of our top 5 hitters from last year, Mackenzie and Comeau are gone. (Jenner, Dubinsky, and Foligno are the others). That says to me that hitting isn't a priority for Jarmo.

I think it all depends on who really fills out the bottom of the roster. If Rychel or Dano somehow sneak into the lineup on 3rd or 4th line they would be expected to play a little more of a physical game, compared to 5'8 Gibbons and D'amigo

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I think it all depends on who really fills out the bottom of the roster. If Rychel or Dano somehow sneak into the lineup on 3rd or 4th line they would be expected to play a little more of a physical game, compared to 5'8 Gibbons and D'amigo

I believe D'Amigo is reputed to be physical. He's not very tall, but he's pretty solid at more than 200 lbs.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Also, I've noticed that Tyutin has slowed down a lot, so he really has to rely on obstruction, but I think this is a new thing for him because he used to be able to keep up better.

It's for these reasons (tied for LA with hits) that prior to the playoffs last year I said to Mrs. Loser that "This team plays the right way - if they get past Pittsburgh they could go far".

I think they could have won the Cup. That may be a stretch, as the Kings were damn good...but, could have at least given the Kings a greater run than they got from the Rangers. They could have gotten past the Rangers, and they proved capable of beating Montreal in the regular season. It's not that far of an idea, with the way they played in the playoffs ... if someone had caught fire offensively, things could have gone very differently.

For these reasons, I think not making any major offseason moves (other than bringing in Hartnell, an obvious upgrade on Umberger) was the right move. The free agent market this year priced us out almost right away, and we know we have a competitive group of guys who are all buying into the system. Give me the guys we have over a Paul Stastny any day of the week ... come playoff time, we will play our game and be damn hard to beat in a 7 game series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad