TSN: Insider Trading: Expect 8 Yr Extension For Bergeron in Offseason/Chara Punches Crosby

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd prefer a 6 year extension. He's gonna be 28 in July and still has 1 year left on his current deal. That's a total of 7 years. By the time that contract is over he'll be 34-35 and could always be resigned for less at that point. I think 6 years 36mil.

The problem is the market says he should get an eighth year deal. Travis Zajac got 8 years/$5.75 million last offseason as a poor man's Bergeron. Getzlaf got eight years too.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I have to say, I haven't really chimed in here, but I vehemently disagree with Chiarelli giving Bergeron an 8-year extension. I'd figure out a way to violate the CBA and give him a 28-year extension.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Bergy, love him, but 8 years is too much for someone with concussion history.

If memory serves me right, ltir isn't a get out of jail free card.

In the offseason, the cap hit is still counted until a certain date when players can be put on ltir. So with savvy and Bergy having dead money on the cap every beginning of offseason, that will limit your moves. You can go over the cap by a small percentage, but that won't cover what I'm assuming will be 10 million combined between savvy and Bergy.

Hockey is a game of risks and rewards.....for both player and owner.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Wahhhhhhhh. If you're on the ice your just like anyone else, susceptible to all the risks.....including the shenanigans. Not ready to handle that part? You're not ready to be back.

I say this having no opinion on the video as I haven't seen it. I don't really care if he did or not. Plenty of ours took cheap shots from them too. It happens. That's just how I feel regarding any player coming back from an injury. He is no different and there shouldnt be an unsaid "red shirt" period in a game.....especially not a playoff game.

Didn't Sid skate up to him and pretty much provoke Chara? I seriously thought Sid was about to drop 'em, which would've been a HUGE mistake.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I have to say, I haven't really chimed in here, but I vehemently disagree with Chiarelli giving Bergeron an 8-year extension. I'd figure out a way to violate the CBA and give him a 28-year extension.

A ****ing right. No one since bourque has deserved a lifetime contact with the B's until Bergeron.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
A ****ing right. No one since bourque has deserved a lifetime contact with the B's until Bergeron.

Kind of funny, isn't it?

When I think back to the last guy who night in and night out put out the same effort and work ethic as consistently as Bergeron. I come to Ray Bourque.

Never thought I'd see it again.

You can talk all day a/b what Bourque was and what Bergy isn't in terms of raw talent. Both guys just have that consistency, and so rarely make mistakes. I don't know what planet they came from. But where ever it is, they play hockey.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Any single player is one hit away from a career-ending injury. Bergeron deserves the max extension possible because he will absolutely take a hometown discount. I bet you'll see 8 years, $52-55 million.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I'm happy about the 8 year extension, now Bill Ladd can shut up about Bergeron wanting to leave the Bruins if Quebec City comes back :laugh:

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Any single player is one hit away from a career-ending injury. Bergeron deserves the max extension possible because he will absolutely take a hometown discount. I bet you'll see 8 years, $52-55 million.

Ya, I wouldn't be surprised at all. For Bergeron this is a number I would have no problem putting up with, I'm sure Chia wouldn't either.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
971635_401560366626866_755099643_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-things-Bruins

Apparently Sidney Crosby's agent is a bigger whiner than Sidney........... and THAT is impressive. :handclap:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Freakin Jacobs the cheapskate couldn`t up the ante to 30 years:sarcasm:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Anyone else feel like whenever Chara hits somebody it always seems like he could have hit him SO MUCH HARDER? He sometimes looks too aware of his ability to destroy.

He eases off more often than not and he still gets nailed for so many calls simply for being too big

And if Sid doesn`t want to taste some glove, just a small suggestion.........................SHUT UP AND PLAY:)

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/947454/clip/423

The guys at TSN with some interesting Bruins content, at 1:54 Pierre LeBrun says the Bruins have been in contact with Bergeron's camp all year and to expect an eight year extension in the offseason. Right near the end we see the video the Penguins have come up with of Chara punching Crosby's injured jaw.

I forgot a word in my title, should be "Eight Year" extension.

Yep he punched him, and I loved every second of it.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yep he punched him, and I loved every second of it.

I fail to see how this video of him clearly punching him is indicative of anything.

Do NHL players NOT go after injuries? What's the point of even pointing that out?

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The lenghts these wonks will go to uphold the "honor" of Crosby. What a load of crap. Hardly ill intent with that soft left. More a get outta here shot, not sure Chara even knew who he dispatching with that poke.

STOP CRYING PENS! Oh wait, they cant...

With the visor on, where else is Chara supposed to punch him?

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Given how long-term contracts can inspire complacency among far too many pro athletes, with his integrity and work ethic I doubt this would happen with Bergeron....it is also a double edged sword because his style of play also puts him in an endangering position with his concussion history.

Not an easy black and white situation if you're the Bruins management....you're heart say yes-yes but your brain says I-don't-know.....

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Anyone else feel like whenever Chara hits somebody it always seems like he could have hit him SO MUCH HARDER? He sometimes looks too aware of his ability to destroy.

Yeah, I've felt that Chara holds a lot back. He's definitely reduced the number of slapshots he takes after injuring a couple of dudes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad