Injury Report: Injury Thread 2019-20: Pelech Out, Cizikas and Boychuk are healthy

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
With the Covid19 threat I hope Zeeker stay home if he has to take a commercial air flight to join the team or he better fully protect himself (N95 mask, gloves, goggle).
I took one to get to Vancouver. I’m taking another one to get to Calgary tomorrow. If it’s good enough for me it’s good enough for Zeeker.

If I don’t get home to NY on Saturday you’ll know they quarantined me.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Just a fan with a podcast I believe. The Minnesota comparison is just really dumb. We're in year two of Lamoriello, not a decade in.

Honestly I read that and thought it was a very good comparison. The Islanders need some serious luck in order to not become an older, aging team. They need something like Sorokin to become a franchise goalie or Wahlstrom to become a top flight forward.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I repeat, we really don't know what we have until Cizikas is back healthy and we are running 4 lines out there with a quality pivot.

The only thing that dude was right about was we need wing help and we dont have the depth. Insane though to suggest there isn't anything to be excited about. Barzal and Beau are both just 22 years old. Way too early to suggest the later is a middle sixer, especially considering how much he has improved this season and will likely be rewarded with his first 40-45 point campaign.

Also, ludicrous to not see the potential of Dobson, who is also just 20 years old and it looks like night and day him being on his natural side. Yes, he has to get bigger but there is still plenty to be excited about there. Couple that with the fact that the other 3 who make up the nucleus of the blue line are all 25-26 years old (Pulock, Pelech and Toews), please. Waaaay to early to lose the excitement on Bo Wilde too.

Then of course you have one of the top goalie prospects in Sorokin likely to come over. Nothing to be excited about is ignorant talk.

If last night's game proved anything (aside from not having Ladd early in the shootout) it is where our lines need to be when Cizikas returns. The ONLY question is who plays the left side of that fourth line when he does return and Brassard moves back to the wing on the third line.

Lee/Barzal/Eberle
Ladd*/Nelson/Bailey
Beau/JGP/Brassard*
Martin*/Cizikas/Clutterbuck

No, it isn't likely to be Hall or Hoffman, but you can guarantee Lou will upgrade from the three with asterisks and he will be on them in free-agency. And you could do a lot worse than have Wahlstrom, Bellows and Koivula as youngsters who could be in the mix.

We should have Sorokin (who alone is plenty to be excited about) and we will have the same young nucleus 4 on defense more likely than not. The fifth will most certainly be 27-year old Mayfield. Who knows who the other 2-3 will be between Leddy, Boychuk, Greene, Hickey, Aho or whomever- but to not be excited about the before mentioned 5, especially a bigger and more comfortable Noah on his natural side for a full season is stupid.

It is hard to keep things in perspective when you are losing and simply don't have the depth to replace key guys like Cizikas and Pelech (even Greene's minutes are down since his injury)...but there is still plenty to be excited about.

To me it is finding 2 quality wings to put into the mix with Lee, Eberle, Beau and Bailey and being able to do so while keep 2 of the other 3 in Wahlstrom, Bellows and Koivula.

Sorokin, Dobson and the other 4 under 27 on the blue line and 8 good possibilities to put in 6 holes at wing on the top 3 lines- as well as a return to our identity line? That is plenty to be excited about, especially with Trotz at the helm

Reactions: danteipp and mm11

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Honestly I read that and thought it was a very good comparison. The Islanders need some serious luck in order to not become an older, aging team. They need something like Sorokin to become a franchise goalie or Wahlstrom to become a top flight forward.

They could become that, but as I've pointed out a number of times on here, other teams were viewed similarly until they weren't anymore (Washington, St. Louis). Of course everyone with the Minnesota perspective will talk about how we don't have the talent those two teams did. That might be true (it is) but that doesn't mean the team will continue like this for the next decade or so like Minnesota, San Jose, or Nashville has done. I'd take being any of those teams rather than what we've seen for the majority of the past 30 years. All of those teams are just like Minnesota...until they win it.

It's year two and it isn't even over yet. Declaring us to be the same as Minnesota is premature.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They could become that, but as I've pointed out a number of times on here, other teams were viewed similarly until they weren't anymore (Washington, St. Louis). Of course everyone with the Minnesota perspective will talk about how we don't have the talent those two teams did. That might be true (it is) but that doesn't mean the team will continue like this for the next decade or so like Minnesota, San Jose, or Nashville has done. I'd take being any of those teams rather than what we've seen for the majority of the past 30 years. All of those teams are just like Minnesota...until they win it.

It's year two and it isn't even over yet. Declaring us to be the same as Minnesota is premature.
It’s been 22 months. Fire Lou before its too late.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
More importantly, if this gets pushed back a few months is there any way we get Pelech back? Getting our best defender back will significantly help the team here

Reactions: buud

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
More importantly, if this gets pushed back a few months is there any way we get Pelech back? Getting our best defender back will significantly help the team here

I don't think so. Burke mentioned on one of the broadcasts that he'd be out for the season no matter how far the team went. That means he wouldn't be back into June so I'm not sure another month does anything, if the team got that far.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't think so. Burke mentioned on one of the broadcasts that he'd be out for the season no matter how far the team went. That means he wouldn't be back into June so I'm not sure another month does anything, if the team got that far.
I wonder how good Pelech could be after a ruptured achilles tendon.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
I wonder how good Pelech could be after a ruptured achilles tendon.

I had thought it was a partial tear was it not? Turn around is usually 4 months depending on how bad it was. If we are pushed off a month or more he can fore sure make it back. But as you said I am not sure how good he will be.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I had thought it was a partial tear was it not? Turn around is usually 4 months depending on how bad it was. If we are pushed off a month or more he can fore sure make it back. But as you said I am not sure how good he will be.

from staples article on January 3

Lamoriello said Pelech will have surgery on the Achilles injury and the likeliest recovery timeline is four months, which puts the calendar at the end of the first round of the playoffs.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Lamoriello said Pelech will have surgery on the Achilles injury and the likeliest recovery timeline is four months, which puts the calendar at the end of the first round of the playoffs.

So, there would be a bright spot for having the season pushed back.
thanks for the info.:thumbu:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

When I tore mine at age 29 (volleyball), I was on crutches for 4 months. The one good thing was living in Manhattan got me some sympathy from the female side. Looked pretty funny when I would wear a backpack so I could attach my dry cleaning to the back. Thank God it hadn't happened two years later when I was in a 4th floor walk-up.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Brendan Burke said on a broadcast recently he wouldn't be back no matter what. That means it'd have to go past June to get him back.

Reactions: bstash19

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
When asked about an update on Pelech, Boychuk, and Cizikas in a recent Q&A, Lamoriello said:

Isles Inbox: Lou Lamoriello

Pelech will not be back no matter what.
Well, there it is about Pelech. Super important now that Andy Green rests up and gets more acquainted to the team. I think JGP hopefully will be more settled in and perhaps take on a larger leadership role and step in to halt our slide. If and when the season starts is there a mini training camp or something? Great news on CC and JB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad