Injury Report: Injury Thread 2019-20: Pelech Out, Cizikas and Boychuk are healthy

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The good news is Cizikas isn't going to end up in Bridgeport and might be ready by the end of the road trip.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
It kind of cuts into the legend a bit, but these stitches were done by a plastic surgeon. They were tons of little, tiny stitches designed to leave little or no permanent mark. It's not like the old trainers using sewing thread where 90 stitches would re-attach a limb. Boychuk will probably be back sooner rather than later.
Exactly, I once got bit in the face by a dog and I asked the doctor how many stitches to close it up and he said more the 200. They keep a scare from showing after it heals. I still think he will be out a minimum of 2 weeks though.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
seat back and tray tables up during takeoff and landing. Must be back in his seat when the belt light is on.

Same as for us civilians really.

Get that man an emergency exit seat, he needs to stretch those legs!

Thanks for making it funny - I honestly didn't know that if a player did not travel with the team they could catch up with them later. I was thinking about emergency callups/waiver eligibility type stuff lol.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
PTIsles Podcast: Nothing Comes Easy

About 21 minutes in. Duthie making the same point I do about the system wearing down players. "Not much left in the tank . . ."

"Turning into the Minnesota Wild of the East, older group with little contract flexibility"

"Panarin and Stone didn't want to play here"

"Barzal can't carry a team right now"

"Can Beau go beyond a 3rd liner on a good offense? More likely middle 6."

"Trotz loves Nelson"

"Not a death sentence for Otto Koivula to play the 4th line center role"

"Winger scoring is the main problem"

"Injuries mean 3rd line is unreliable. Top 2 lines playing too much"

"Each loss in the last 6 games has gotten worse as they have gone along . . at what point do they bottom out?"

"Whether or not Wahlstrom or Bellows develop and Sorokin is a top flight goaltender means the most in the future. Bellows likely 20-goals at most, maybe generous about that. Wahlstrom still to be determined."

"Taylor Hall not likely to sign here"

"Next few years, bubble team, floating around here. looking to make it in and maybe make some noise"

"Still has them over 50% to make playoffs but need a must-win mentality for every game" . . . "hard to find reasons to be excited about this team"

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just a fan with a podcast I believe. The Minnesota comparison is just really dumb. We're in year two of Lamoriello, not a decade in.
He didn't say they were there yet, he said they were "turning into" the MW and if you don't see that as a very real possibility, you just aren't looking.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

About 21 minutes in. Duthie making the same point I do about the system wearing down players. "Not much left in the tank . . ."

"Turning into the Minnesota Wild of the East, older group with little contract flexibility"

"Barzal can't carry a team right now"

"Can Beau go beyond a 3rd liner on a good offense? More likely middle 6."

"Trotz loves Nelson"

"Winger scoring is the main problem"

"Each loss in the last 6 games has gotten worse as they have gone along . . at what point do they bottom out?"

"Whether or not Wahlstrom or Bellows develop and Sorokin is a top flight goaltender means the most in the future. Bellows likely 20-goals at most, maybe generous about that. Wahlstrom still to be determined."

"Next few years, bubble team, floating around here. looking to make it in and maybe make some noise"

"Still has them over 50% to make playoffs but need a must-win mentality for every game" . . . "hard to find reasons to be excited about this team"
Hard to argue with any of it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He didn't say they were there yet, he said they were "turning into" the MW and if you don't see that as a very real possibility, you just aren't looking.

Look at this baby, if you don't see that becoming a criminal is a very real possibility, you just aren't looking.

photo-1527631120902-378417754324

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Look at this baby, if you don't see that becoming a criminal is a very real possibility, you just aren't looking.

photo-1527631120902-378417754324
Quite possibly the most idiotic thing you've posted in my two years here. There is nothing to suggest that this child will become a criminal, there is a ton of evidence to suggest that the Isles will be a mediocre team, or worse, for years to come.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

There are a number of private podcasts out there and at the end of the day, they're little more than a non-insider's private thoughts and opinions.

And we all know why opinions are like an asshole, right?

But for the fun of it, let's look at a few of those things that jump out as more of statement...

Sure, because those market value to even sub-market value contracts that our high earners Eberle, Nelson, Lee, and Leddy have are extremely comparable to what Minnesota did when they signed on Parise and Suter - for 14 years.

Totally the same thing.

Well, theoretically, the boys in Manhattan were the only people Panarin wanted to work for more than the boys on Long Island, right?

As for Stone - COMMON! He didn't want to play ANYWHERE other than Las Vegas. How does anyone with half an ounce of hockey knowledge not know by now that Stone to Las Vegas was a done deal long before Ottawa traded him? He told them he's going there in the summer in order to work with his old junior mentor McCrimmon. He gave Ottawa the chance to get something for him. Vegas conducted a better business practice move in order to get 3 more months of Stone for a playoff run. They were signing him on July 1st anyways.

It worked out splendidly for everyone - except the other 29 teams in the league.

Honestly, I thought everyone watches TSN.

Comments like this sound a heck of a lot more like pure sour grapes.

Is this being said to say he SHOULD be playing the fourth line center role while Cizikas is out?

As in, instead of one of the actual NHL guys who fans are just a bit tired of seeing?

I just don't know where people think second year pros who haven't been above-average in the minors should be thrown into the fire of a stretch run and asked to not only swim, but give the team new breath?

This will continue to be a problem until Cizikas is back.

And the 3rd line has been an "offensive" issue all season long. Indeed.

Not sure if the broadcast of this podcast was beforehand, but I think the Carolina game was clearly the best of our last 4-5 contests. And they certainly weren't worse against the Senators than against the Canadians. If anything, they bottomed out in the sense of "shitstorm" against Montreal after a useless outing against Boston. They've now slowly progressed back upwards since then, having nonetheless only gained one of four possible points.

Unfortunately for us, there's no telling whether Bellows or Wahlstrom are going to end up being the 25+ goal wingers this team needs. And we really need players who have a nose for the net. Both DO have shots and the ability to get them off. Not like i.e. Dal Colle, who was nonetheless drafted to snipe. Gotta hope something goes click in the next few years.

The biggest hope this franchise has from within is Sorokin. He's the one prospect who is not only closest to regular NHL play, but who could have the most major individual impact on our fortunes moving forwards if he's as good as advertised.

As far as UFAs are concerned, Rantanen, Hall, and Hoffman need to be seen as the quickest possible answers to our scoring ills. Not a one of them will be cheap.

If the last two summers are any indication, we can expect to see Lamoriello heavily involved with one of them and likely come up short. Especially if a deal isn't yet in place for RFA Barzal.

BTW, that's something I think could have a significant impact on how much a scoring UFA may choose to sign here.

I could be wrong.

Yep, that's little more than conjecture. And it's prolly based solely on the mood around these parts at this point, because the first 90% of Lou's tenure here was about winning a good chunk more than losing.

Historically speaking, we'd have to assume that Trotz and Lou are capable and likely of getting this team back to winning more than it loses on a regular basis.

Again, when you lose six in a row for the first time in several season, yep, it's hard to find reasons to be excited.

But the team's strength heading into the season was the three Cs - coaching, continuity, and culture. We have to see if that's enough to find a way into the playoffs over the next 16 games.

In addition, only one NHL team ever won 16 of its first 21 games and failed to make the playoffs, so there's that.

Hope we don't go about making history THAT way...

Reactions: MJF

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Canadian sportscaster for TSN.
James Duthie (sportscaster) - Wikipedia

Which is not to say he's any smarter or knowledgeable than you or I.
Certainly not! But I could have sworn that the podcast they were referencing was today's PTIsles on which James Duffy joined Joe Buono. Virtually every point listed was what James Duffy said on the pod. Did this Duthie guy do a similar show? I mean, you don't need to be a hockey genius (like us :naughty:) to see what's wrong with the Isles, both at the moment and going forward, so it's not out of the question. But no, now looking back through the thread, it was def James Duffy they were referring to. The Duthie reference was the mistake. But now I know who two people are that I didn't know of before so all good.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Certainly not! But I could have sworn that the podcast they were referencing was today's PTIsles on which James Duffy joined Joe Buono. Virtually every point listed was what James Duffy said on the pod. Did this Duthie guy do a similar show? I mean, you don't need to be a hockey genius (like us :naughty:) to see what's wrong with the Isles, both at the moment and going forward, so it's not out of the question. But no, now looking back through the thread, it was def James Duffy they were referring to. The Duthie reference was the mistake. But now I know who two people are that I didn't know of before so all good.
Yep - the original couple of posts said 'Duthie', which is a name I recognize, and I didn't notice the change.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Air Canada has a direct flight from Newark to Calgary that departs at 3:45PM. Maybe we should track it.
With the Covid19 threat I hope Zeeker stay home if he has to take a commercial air flight to join the team or he better fully protect himself (N95 mask, gloves, goggle).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad