Injury Report: Injury Thread 2019-20: Pelech Out, Cizikas and Boychuk are healthy

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd definitely prefer Bailey to be out 4-6 months than Pelech.

Does that help?
There is no doubt losing pelech is big. The only thing that makes it palatable to me is I am a big believer in Dobson. There may be a growing pains transition at the start but I an 100% confident he will fill the void when he gets games under his belt. Cal is a big loss too. Hes more valuable than is given credit for.

Reactions: buud

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
THIS! Dobson needs to go for it. He hesitates cause he's afraid to make a mistake. He barely get 10-11 minutes when he plays and then he's a scratch for X amount of game. Kid has zero confidence when he's in. Give him 5-10 games in a row and he'll look so much better.
I am sure Trotz and the coaches have been stressing the K.I.S.S.
approach and Dobson is trying to avoid making mistakes.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
It's going to be this I guess :
Leddy-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Aho/Dobson-Boychuk

What a bad news this injury! Pelech is perhaps our best defensive defender.

That would be the best lineups, so Dobson and Boychuk are less used... I am big on Pelech and his loss hurts but I don't think it will be impactful as much as losing other forwards.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Aiy, as if the team wasn't already in a slide. Arguably their best defender. I see an even deeper slide coming, hope I'm wrong.

Be nice if Lou can bring inn some scoring and now D reinforcement.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
This Pelech news is obviously not good. Typically it mean the guys taking on a big role take on an even bigger role while they figure out the pieces to replace him and I am not sure that is a good idea for veterans like Boychuk.

The second half of the season will be tougher and losing your best defensive defenseman is among the worst things to happen to this team.

The season has turned and I think the wild card hunt will include the Islanders.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
It is funny that for how much the majority on here dislike me, I leave the board for half a day and come back to read and in multiple threads, half the posts are still about me. I am honored. In all seriousness though, it is a shame that we cant all get along even despite our differing views. We all root for the same team in the end. Some of us are just right more often than others. Oh well.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Aiy, as if the team wasn't already in a slide. Arguably their best defender. I see an even deeper slide coming, hope I'm wrong.

Be nice if Lou can bring inn some scoring and now D reinforcement.

Usually when a team suffers a major injury loss they go out the next game and steamroll their opponent. Then the adrenaline wears off the ensuing game (especially if it’s a back to back or only one day off) and they get blown out of the building. I could see them winning 5-0 tonight and then getting run out of the arena 7-2 by Colorado on Monday

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With Pelech out. It's truly hard to replace him. Truly one of the most underrated shutdown D in the NHL. He and Pulock are the back bone of the Isles D.

I put some thought into this. I don't think it would be fair to put Dobson into the #1 pairing. I would not want to disrupt the other pairings too much.

I would try Mayfield on the left side with Pulock. I feel more comfortable with Dobson with Toews on the 3rd pairing and keeping Boychuck and Leddy together.

Mayfield is a very good defensive D man. He will have to step up in the lineup but he may be up to it. If Dobson shows he is ready for more prime time mins then move him up to play with Pulock. Dobson's draft year he ascended quickly on draft lists, he the hockey IQ to do the same with each and every game he plays. He will soak it up like a sponge. He certainly has #1 pairing pedigree given time.

For now Mayfield should be the make shift shutdown D man to play with Pulock IMO.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It is funny that for how much the majority on here dislike me, I leave the board for half a day and come back to read and in multiple threads, half the posts are still about me. I am honored. In all seriousness though, it is a shame that we cant all get along even despite our differing views. We all root for the same team in the end. Some of us are just right more often than others. Oh well.
Well if this was your goal congratulations.

And don't sweat it. One day when you stop venting your spleen here and start thinking things out before you hit "post reply" you'll be right a lot more.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
With Pelech out. It's truly hard to replace him. Truly one of the most underrated shutdown D in the NHL. He and Pulock are the back bone of the Isles D.

I put some thought into this. I don't think it would be fair to put Dobson into the #1 pairing. I would not want to disrupt the other pairings too much.

I would try Mayfield on the left side with Pulock. I feel more comfortable with Dobson with Toews on the 3rd pairing and keeping Boychuck and Leddy together.

Mayfield is a very good defensive D man. He will have to step up in the lineup but he may be up to it. If Dobson shows he is ready for more prime time mins then move him up to play with Pulock. Dobson's draft year he ascended quickly on draft lists, he the hockey IQ to do the same with each and every game he plays. He will soak it up like a sponge. He certainly has #1 pairing pedigree given time.

For now Mayfield should be the make shift shutdown D man to play with Pulock IMO.
Dobson and Toews would be an awful pairing. Toews is having enough of his own issues in the D zone. The best place now for Dobson is with someone more defensively responsible like Boychuk.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The Pelech injury takes this team from a contender for a deep playoff run to wildcard worthy for the majority of the season in my opinion. This is a HUGE loss. Lou will need to make a trade this season.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Pelech is a tough loss. If there was one player who epitomized the Islander style of play, it would be Pelech. Solid and responsible defensively and opportunistic offensively.

I still don’t like having a 19 year old play his off side. I wouldn’t mind seeing Aho get into a game in the near future. After a few meetings and practices of course. If he is what we thought/ hoped he would be, he should be ready to go.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Well if this was your goal congratulations.

And don't sweat it. One day when you stop venting your spleen here and start thinking things out before you hit "post reply" you'll be right a lot more.
I'm just glad he finally admitted he does it for the attention. Explains a lot, really.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Pelech's absence will be felt down the stretch. He plays big minutes and is probably the best defensive D on Isles. There is no one similar in the system capable of replacing him either. If Isles can't trade for an experienced temporary replacement (without giving out too much such as a top prospect or unconditional 1st round 2010 pick), I think this team will be in serious trouble over the 2nd half of the season. Should one of their goalies or top 4 forward go down with extended injury, the playoff chance will be toast.

Dobson is talented but he is not at the same development stage and can't see he capable of filling this hole.

Do not rush to make a bad deal to just salvage one season. A minor hockey deal may be what is more suitable to fix the problem. See if a minor hockey deal can be made with Detroit, Anaheim, LA or Chicago. Also look outside the NHL/AHL to spot possible currently undrafted European D capable of strong defensively play willing to try out for NHL (must be decent skater and have good work ethics).

Reactions: bigtim1988

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Usually when a team suffers a major injury loss they go out the next game and steamroll their opponent. Then the adrenaline wears off the ensuing game (especially if it’s a back to back or only one day off) and they get blown out of the building. I could see them winning 5-0 tonight and then getting run out of the arena 7-2 by Colorado on Monday

I see a descent down the standings; team is ripe for that. Trotz is a buffer, his experience will be invaluable (along with Boychuk's). The slide won[t take them out of the playoff race, but we can pretty much say goodbye to a division crown.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There are 2 ways to go here, you can allow Dobson to play himself into a top pairing D man, or you make a trade to get a vet here that can stop gap it until Pelech returns.

As for Clutterbuck, he is a big loss too. When 1 of the identity line is missing, the other 2 are just not the same. I do not underestimate the value of this line to the team. They are the one constant when things are going the Isles way or not their way. They inject momentum into the game for the Isles. He's going to need to get back, hopefully soon.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
There are 2 ways to go here, you can allow Dobson to play himself into a top pairing D man, or you make a trade to get a vet here that can stop gap it until Pelech returns.

As for Clutterbuck, he is a big loss too. When 1 of the identity line is missing, the other 2 are just not the same. I do not underestimate the value of this line to the team. They are the one constant when things are going the Isles way or not their way. They inject momentum into the game for the Isles. He's going to need to get back, hopefully soon.

I agree, but thankfully Uncle Leo has fit right in on that line. Just too many empty roster spots in Dal Colle and Brassard (when he is forced to play center). Really don't know what will happen to this team but if players don't step up I imagine we are in for mediocre crawl to the playoffs.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
bleh... ALL teams have injuries, and IMO, the Isles have pretty good depth. no, they are not going to dive into oblivion, for all you woeful type.

the two biggest reasons that we are competitive, are Trotz and the goalies. not Pelech. come down from the ledge...

Leddy - Pulock look to be a great fit, IMO. both in their prime and should be able to handle big minutes, on both PP and PK. their differing styles compliment each other. no worries here.

Toews - Mayfield. again, no worries. Toews has been off lately, but he has more than proven himself. and to counter that, Mayfield has really solidified himself as a defensive D. they should be able to handle 19-20 min a night, as long as they focus on keeping it simple.

Aho/Dobson - Dobson/Boychuk. not worried about these guys either. i DO feel that we need another big, grinding LHD, with experience, and i think that LL will find something. 2020 UFA's that may fit the bill... Greene, Hainsey, Dillon, Hutton. hell, maybe we can pry Nurse from EDM. wouldn't that be a coup!

not worried at all...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad