Injury Report: Injury/COVID Protocol Thread: Lee Out for Remainder of Year (ACL), Johnston to IR

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Really hope they do not panic and mortgage the future, it is sad to say but I can't picture them winning a cup without the Captain, I don't think Lou is interested in the future to much however

Mortgage the future?!?!?! We went to the ECF last year, we are in the top 4 of the conference. You go for it!!!

I try to avoid posting here and I read on and off but if you get someone great you unload!! the Lightning won it without Stamkos. We can win it without Anders.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Mortgage the future?!?!?! We went to the ECF last year, we are in the top 4 of the conference. You go for it!!!

I try to avoid posting here and I read on and off but if you get someone great you unload!! the Lightning won it without Stamkos. We can win it without Anders.

That is assuming TBL minus Stamkos is equivalent to the NYI minus Lee. That is not the case at all.

Hedman would be the best D on our team by a long shot.

Same goes for Kucherov and Point at their positions.

Tampa’s elite talent exceeds ours, by about 3 players

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Bottom line, you never know how long your window is. You go for it.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
First Isles need to identify their core and then estimate how much will likely to cost them to keep each, then they can decide who they can afford to trade or unprotect this summer? The obvious ones are: Barzal, Pulock, Pelech, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Nelson, Lee, and then one starter. The rest - 1st tier: Bailey? Ebs? Beau? Cizikas? Mayfield? Leddy? Second tier: Bellows? Holmstrom? Bolduc? Salo? 3rd tier: Wilde? Dufour? Adam? and so on. Mind you size needs to be taken into consideration as NHL does demand physical play even if you are a bit on the small side. Soft small players will not cut it unless you have proven generational talent especially on the scoresheet. I did not include Martin because I think he will among the core but unlikely protected so he will either stay or may get picked by Seattle if they want a vet like him. Clutterbuck will likely not come back after this contract or traded. MDC - unless he start to score soon he probably will not be protected and maybe easily replaced by another prospect with more talent down the road. His problem is that he does not PK so if he can stay on top 9 he will likely not have a spot on Isles down the road.

Does Isles need to resign Beau after this year? If yes and that if they can't reasonably expect to resign him to a friendly contract that will leave plenty cap room down the road for Pelech, Dobson, Barzal, Wahlstrom, either Sorokin or another capable back up, and likely Cizikas too, then maybe they can trade him plus either a pick (excluding 2022 1st), or a B+ prospect or right to sign a high end drafted college player to a team like Nashville, LA or San Jose for an upgrade on left wing. Beau has value as he has proven last year that he can score, PK, and he is good in the shootout, still quite young and has good speed. Maybe there is a team out there looking for someone like him. I will prefer not to trade him within Metro though.

If his contract will not be an issue or cost Isles to not able to protect a good players in the expansion draft, then keep him and trade someone else. I will stay away from older vet that is on a declining path.

A player that I think would not cost Isles a fortune in picks and high ceiling prospect will be maybe Tanner Pearson on the Canucks. He does battle well on the boards and proven in the past that he can score around the net. He will not dazzle you with his play but he can be serviceable and he does have enough winning experience from LA to know how to finish plays. I do not think Canucks can afford to resign him with so many of their young high end talents to resign in the near future. Pearson can be a stop gap for Lee. Maybe Canucks will be interested in MDC + Colorado's 2nd for Pearson.

Of course Forsburg will be a better trade but there will be heavy competition for him and Nashville will ask for the moon or they would probably rather keep him if the price is not right. He also will be a rental as he may ask a lot as UFA and may not resign with a team with more cap space.

Hall? I am not sure because he has a tough time this year and he will be another rental for Isles too. I also think his style may not mesh well with Barzal because they both love to carry the puck and Hall is not a strong back checker and not exactly a player who loves to go to the dirty area and his recent shot to the head injury probably will deter him even more. He also seems to carry some bad luck, not sure why.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Any update regarding Dobson?

It's clear that we miss him out there.
Yeah, agreed, the Isles do. Greene's play has gone down without Noah also. I am not going to be too hard on Aho, the guy basically is playing his first 3 games in over a year. Let's put it this way, he impacting the game at both ends of the ice. Unfortunately for the Isles it's the end that where the home Goalie plays that really matters for the Isles.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, agreed, the Isles do. Greene's play has gone down without Noah also. I am not going to be too hard on Aho, the guy basically is playing his first 3 games in over a year. Let's put it this way, he impacting the game at both ends of the ice. Unfortunately for the Isles it's the end that where the home Goalie plays that really matters for the Isles.

I don't think Greene's play has gotten worse, it's that Aho is much less predictable and poised than Dobson is. There have been so many times he's had the puck and makes an unnecessary or unexpected move. Dobson relies on Greene and has used him as a safety net, Aho hasn't and has created issues because he isn't making the simple plays.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm sorry. I get that Aho hasn't played up here in a long time but he wasn't much different than this the last time he was up and honestly this is the way he plays in Bridgeport. He's a 100 ft player. It's time to cut bait with him at the first opportunity.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm off twitter, so I asked the same in the GDT last night and got no response. Has there been any update? Whether he's officially out the 10 days or he'll be back soon, it would be nice to know.
We won't get anything out of Lou about this. Leads me to believe Dobson tested positive.

The Devils, the Sabres, or both are carriers :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think Greene's play has gotten worse, it's that Aho is much less predictable and poised than Dobson is. There have been so many times he's had the puck and makes an unnecessary or unexpected move. Dobson relies on Greene and has used him as a safety net, Aho hasn't and has created issues because he isn't making the simple plays.
I think there is truth in this. Aho is a highlight package at both ends of the ice. But I disagree with Greene not being as good, without Dobson he has not been himself. Yes, partly it has to do with playing with Aho, but I also think it speaks to how good and valuable Dobson has been this year. He makes good plays, he is much stronger than Aho on the man. One thing I notice about Noah is he wins those puck battles for a lanky kid. Aho is just not built that way. The quicker Dobson gets back, the quicker we get back that dependable defensive pairing. With Lee out, I think it has overshadowed just how big a loss Dobson has been. He is starting to move into the Pelech and Pulock territory of players the Isles just cannot ill afford to lose for an extended amount of time.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think there is truth in this. Aho is a highlight package at both ends of the ice. But I disagree with Greene not being as good, without Dobson he has not been himself. Yes, partly it has to do with playing with Aho, but I also think it speaks to how good and valuable Dobson has been this year. He makes good plays, he is much stronger than Aho on the man. One thing I notice about Noah is he wins those puck battles for a lanky kid. Aho is just not built that way. The quicker Dobson gets back, the quicker we get back that dependable defensive pairing. With Lee out, I think it has overshadowed just how big a loss Dobson has been. He is starting to move into the Pelech and Pulock territory of players the Isles just cannot ill afford to lose for an extended amount of time.

Aho isn't big enough, strong enough, or positionally sound enough. Dobson, despite still be pretty green, knows how to position himself on the wall to eliminate players. He's shifty enough to squeak through sometimes or roll off when needed as well. Aho has just been throwing his entire weight behind pushes to the lower back of puck carriers while they just continue along. He hasn't been able to settle anything down, he's always scrambling, and that causes a lot of communication issues in the defensive end. He's essentially a way shittier version of Leddy defensively.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Dobson is off the COVID list but won’t be traveling with the team

He must have gotten hit pretty hard

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Thank the heavens. Don’t throw him into the fire. Let him get back to practicing and getting his wind back in his sails.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
He's been out for 10 days or so, he needs some time to get back into game shape before playing again. A couple of practices and he should be good to go.
I’m not surprised about needing practices, it’s more about not traveling and practicing with the team

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nah, he’s being held back so they can include him in the deal for Connor Garland. Wahlstrom needs to still play to prove he can substitute for Barzal in said deal.

Those fans are hilariously delusional in their valuation of Garland, LOL. Dobson, Wahlstrom, Bolduc, 2022 1st (not the 2021 1st because it's a weaker class), etc. being thrown around in various combinations. Too funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad