Injury Report: Injury/COVID Protocol Thread: Lee Out for Remainder of Year (ACL), Johnston to IR

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not good at all. This is like the impact of Pelech being hurt last year. Not an easy player to replace on or off the ice. He was having his best season in his career also. Isles had been injury free this year.

Reactions: bigtim1988

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Without knowing the exact injury I don’t want to speculate. That being said, if it’s anything serious like an ACL that sucks. Especially with the style Lee plays and how huge he is. That’s a lot of weight for a bad knee to lug around. Lee is all heart and determination. Let’s hope the captain bounces back.

the thing that sucks the most is that he was actually scoring at a 30-35+ Goal form again.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would prefer the Isles to not stop gap this with Komarov or Bellows. The Isles should go for it this season. They are close, in all due respect neither choice is ideal. This opens the door for the Isles to really go for an upgrade. I would target Filip Forsberg. His salary would be 1M less than Lee's, he can play either wing so he can slide in with Barzal and Eberle, he's a heck of a player. This would be my choice. It's not going to be a cheap trade though, but with the Isles looking good this year, and last year in the playoffs, they are close, and I am willing to roll the dice.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I would prefer the Isles to not stop gap this with Komarov or Bellows. The Isles should go for it this season. They are close, in all due respect neither choice is ideal. This opens the door for the Isles to really go for an upgrade. I would target Filip Forsberg. His salary would be 1M less than Lee's, he can play either wing so he can slide in with Barzal and Eberle, he's a heck of a player. This would be my choice. It's not going to be a cheap trade though, but with the Isles looking good this year, and last year in the playoffs, they are close, and I am willing to roll the dice.

If he winds up being out for the season, LTIR would, I assume, be an option? That would give a lot more options for replacing him. If not, you pretty much are stuck with in house options, or hoping you can swing a deal under the cap somehow.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If he winds up being out for the season, LTIR would, I assume, be an option? That would give a lot more options for replacing him. If not, you pretty much are stuck with in house options, or hoping you can swing a deal under the cap somehow.
Yeah, LTIR will release 7M for Lou to shop around. It's a tough one, but the Isles are not winning a cup without Lee. I don't see Bellows or Komarov on Barzal's wing doing this. We are smarter than this.

The options are going to hurt, Wally or Beauvillier, a first and a second, or 2 firsts and one of the 2. I can see, if Lou can talk Nashville into taking Ladd. I may take it. To get a player like Forsberg's pedigree is going to cost us a player we do not want to even entertain losing. You have to look at it from Nashville's point of view, there has to be something good coming back. The one thing I can say is Forsberg is a legit #1 line winger, he is hard on the puck, he has an edge, he plays in big games, he is a very good hockey player. He is worth pursuing, and if he ever became an Islander, I think he would become a fan favourite.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Well, it sounds serious and it always sucks to lose a player like Lee.

Let's hope for the best-case scenario, which is that the injury is more of a severe sprain than any type of full tear and Lee can return for the playoffs.

If that is the case, then the Isles can add a significant player via trade and then welcome Lee back at some point in the playoffs.

Lou now has to make a call on adding a rental, and hopefully giving up minimal assets, or deciding if he wants to try and add a core piece (a youngish player with term) and then figure out the cap situation in the off season.

If Lee can potentially get back for the playoffs, one name to keep in mind is Ryan Getzlaf - if he is willing to be traded from Anaheim for a playoff run.

Getzlaf's counting stats have clearly been declining, but he is still an even-strength possession monster, adds depth down the middle and can take important faceoffs.

Of course any potential deal would be dependent on Getzlaf opting to waive his NMC and ask for a trade. Anaheim would have to retain the $$$ difference for cap purposes, and he would have to play on the wing with the Isles.

I guess Kyle Palmieri is another option but, wow, he is having a dog sh!t season. I wouldn't want to pay the premium, for past numbers, and division tax that the NJ Devils will probably be looking for.

It would have to be less than a first rounder, which I assume they will get from a team, I just don't necessarily want it to be the Isles.

Reactions: bigtim1988

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Going to have hard time finding someone via trade to make up those goals who also doesn't have term given our cap situation next year. Isles should call on Sam Reinhart or Kyle Palmieri

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
I feel so terrible about this, as a Rangers fan, we have lost Panarin bc of some stupid political crap, and now you guys lose Lee, it's sickening. I root for NY sports, I'm Rangers fan first but I will always root for the Isles against anyone else. I am so sorry you guys have to deal with this. good luck.

Reactions: danteipp and Baeron

InstantDeathSquad

Nov 14, 2016
I always get confused with situations like this but if anders misses the rest of regular season and goes on ltir do the isles get the full 7m in relief or would it just be the 3.5 he is owed?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Indefinitely sounds bad. Hopefully this doesn't require a surgical repair. Lee has been dynamite this season and there is no one, even via trade that can fill his skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad