Injury Report: Injured Predators

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
not sure if its ben mentioned but saw a blurb on The Score app that said Josi was out until at least after the ASG... so thats pretty much gotta be a concussion, I would think

What is the source of that though? The score app has not been very reliable with their info.

It is pretty much known by everyone that it is some kind of concussion, but I have not seen a timetable for his return anywhere.

The good news is things are going so well right now that there is no need for him to rush back.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
With a guy like Josi who has suffered too many concussions already, why not a full cage? I know the Don Cherrys of the world would call him a soft European but really, I don't find college hockey any less entertaining.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
With a guy like Josi who has suffered too many concussions already, why not a full cage? I know the Don Cherrys of the world would call him a soft European but really, I don't find college hockey any less entertaining.

A full cage is not going to help the brain slosh around in his cranium. There really isn't any protective head gear these guys can wear that will fully protect them. The brain and cranium have to evolve to learn to protect the soft brain tissue and that's years of evolution. It's the sudden jolt and the sudden stop that causes concussions and a full cage does not prevent that unfortunately.

I had a bicycle accident the year before last on Labor day weekend. Luckily I had a helmet on but even with that, to this day, I have no recollection of the accident. I was able to get back to the house when the wife realized something was wrong because I kept repeating myself so she took me to the doctor. I don't remember anything about what I just wrote. It wasn't until later in the day where things started to become more clear.

All that said, even with protective head gear, it didn't prevent the concussion from happening and this was the second one I had gotten in my life time.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
A full cage is not going to help the brain slosh around in his cranium. There really isn't any protective head gear these guys can wear that will fully protect them. The brain and cranium have to evolve to learn to protect the soft brain tissue and that's years of evolution. It's the sudden jolt and the sudden stop that causes concussions and a full cage does not prevent that unfortunately.

I had a bicycle accident the year before last on Labor day weekend. Luckily I had a helmet on but even with that, to this day, I have no recollection of the accident. I was able to get back to the house when the wife realized something was wrong because I kept repeating myself so she took me to the doctor. I don't remember anything about what I just wrote. It wasn't until later in the day where things started to become more clear.

All that said, even with protective head gear, it didn't prevent the concussion from happening and this was the second one I had gotten in my life time.

I've had one of those where I don't remember anything about the entire day. Very strange.

As to the cage, I realize it doesn't stop all concussions, especially if the player is moving at a high rate of speed and comes to a sudden stop but to say it wouldn't do anything isn't true either. There are plenty of examples where players get hit by the opponent in the jaw where the cage and helmet help dissipate the blow to the head. I doubt Josi is out right now on that last hit if he had a cage. The Cooke hit on Savard and the Steckel hit on Crosby at the Winter Classic are other ones that I think the helmet could take away some of the impact to the head.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I thought I saw something where he missed a practice for a maint. day. He played the next game but then has been out.

Josi-Vignan linked a tweet that Josi told a Swiss reporter he hoped to be back this week.

I'm going to bet they keep him out til after the all star game just o be cautious. Kind of thought they would do the same with Subban but with Josi going out they may have had their hands forced a bit.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I thought I saw something where he missed a practice for a maint. day. He played the next game but then has been out.

Josi-Vignan linked a tweet that Josi told a Swiss reporter he hoped to be back this week.

He was scratched to put Smith back in. With the grinder line now, a few players who should be playing are ending up scratched.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
What in the hell is going on with Salomaki? A guy at work keeps asking me and I honestly don't know. I haven't heard anything on him in forever. Any updates?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
What in the hell is going on with Salomaki? A guy at work keeps asking me and I honestly don't know. I haven't heard anything on him in forever. Any updates?

There were news here in Finland that he hopes to be back in February. But I'd guess closer to the end of the month than the beginning. So he's gonna be out for another 3-4 weeks I'd say.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Do we even still have a spot for him at that point in the season? I love his game but it may be difficult to work him back in depending on how we're playing.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN

I've seen a story on this and thought it was very interesting:

http://newatlas.com/q30-concussion-neck-band/42121/

I guess the science hasn't been proven yet, or it's be in wide use.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Right when I ask about Salomaki, he is on the ice the following day. lol That's fantastic news for everyone to be skating.

I hope he is back much sooner than later. If nothing else we definitely miss those crushing checks.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Soooooo...... any word on Josi? Is he skating? Riding a bike?

Edit... I see it was mentioned in Observations...

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Granberg was on the ice last night for Milwaukee. He was busy slashing an IceHog as the puck was being shot into the goal for their first score. He was on the ice for one of Gaudreau's goals, so he was a zero in +/- for the night. He may not be recovered, because I thought that he played poorly.

Milwaukee played the third period with 5 D-men, since Trevor Murphy was ejected for a secondary fight (which he won over a guy that outweighs him by 20 pounds) at the end of period 2. Based on that surprising performance, I want to call him "Wildcat" Murphy, because he fought like one against a larger opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad