Infomercials get better TV ratings than Florida Panthers games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I heard test patterns used to get higher ratings. I guess a few people fell asleep while the tv was going

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
You understand that is just hyperbole, I hope (not to say that the ratings are any good).

Not hyperbole, fact. Did you read the article?

To give you some perspective on how few people watch the Panthers, consider this: Their .19 local rating was the worst in the NHL among the 22 teams studied by Sports Business Daily (numbers for Carolina, Nashville and Canadian teams were not available).

That’s lower than the rating for a kid’s show named Doodlebops at 7 a.m. Sunday on WFOR-4, lower than an AbCoaster exercise equipment infomercial on WFOR last Sunday, and lower than the Ninja Professional Blender, Chopper and Ice Crusher infomercial on WPLG-10.

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
while its bad, you cant really compare broadcast networks and obscure cable channels regardless of programming or time of day

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Not to mention they have 2 for 1 ticket promotions and still aren't selling out.

...but hockey is working in Florida, right?

:facepalm:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i'm not sure whether this is a statement about the panthers or a statement about the type of people that watch TV in florida.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
while its bad, you cant really compare broadcast networks and obscure cable channels regardless of programming or time of day

Why not?
They're just gauging the interest of the local populace - in this case, Miami-area residents prefer watching a guy in a bad sweater hock crappy products vs. watching professional athletes chase a small black piece of rubber on an ice surface.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
Not to mention they have 2 for 1 ticket promotions and still aren't selling out.

...but hockey is working in Florida, right?

:facepalm:

What metric are you using to determine whether or not hockey "works".

Please let me know what you believe the guidelines are to determining that hockey "works" or "does not work" in a market.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
When a NHL game gets beaten by a ****ing damn blender infomercial you absolutely can compare it.

That is just pathetic.

I know we hear the argument about not winning from defensive fans when their team has an inability to draw on TV or live but it is pretty apt here.

It isn't a great market. But Florida is the worst run organisation in the NHL bar none. It's been irritating to see Oiler fans whining about how bad they've had it considering they actually made the finals not so long ago. We've had ten + years of this and we aren't done yet. Look at Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, Dallas, Colorado or San Jose. They all differ, but by and large they've been solidly run and have managed to establish themselves as viable. This market has literally been destroyed by its ownership. It just doesn't stand a freakin chance.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Please let me know what you believe the guidelines are to determining that hockey "works" or "does not work" in a market.

1) Are fans attending games?
2) Are fans watching games on TV?
3) Is the operation profitable?
4) Is the lack of profits a result of lack of fan support? Corporate support?
5) What is the general awareness of the team like? Do they take a back seat to lawn bowling and informercials? Or is it front page of the sports news?

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC

It's one thing to not attend the games, it's quite another that people can't even be bothered to flip on the TV.

Dado

But Florida is the worst run organisation in the NHL bar none.

Folks in Atlanta claim Atlanta is the worst.

Folks on Long Island claim the Islanders are the worst.

Folks in Arizona claimed Moyes was the worst.

Seem to be an awful lot of "bar none" worsts out there...maybe it's a sign the league needs to contract as clearly there just aren't enough competent owners for this many teams.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I know we hear the argument about not winning from defensive fans when their team has an inability to draw on TV or live but it is pretty apt here.

It isn't a great market. But Florida is the worst run organisation in the NHL bar none. It's been irritating to see Oiler fans whining about how bad they've had it considering they actually made the finals not so long ago. We've had ten + years of this and we aren't done yet. Look at Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, Dallas, Colorado or San Jose. They all differ, but by and large they've been solidly run and have managed to establish themselves as viable. This market has literally been destroyed by its ownership. It just doesn't stand a freakin chance.

6 years ago?

The Edmonton Oilers have been by far the worst team in the NHL over the past 2 seasons and that's something not even the Florida Panthers can match. A couple years ago Florida finished tied in points with the 8th place Montreal Canadiens, yet there was no fan support. For several seasons before that, Florida finished above .500 and while out of the playoffs, reasonably close to making them.

Edmonton sells out, and has good ratings. Florida is a deserted arena with no ratings.

unstuck

Dec 23, 2010
Toronto
Seem to be an awful lot of "bar none" worsts out there...maybe it's a sign the league needs to contract as clearly there just aren't enough competent owners for this many teams.

Yes, but it also irks me -- and I say this with all due respect to fans of the Florida Panthers and TB - that the state of Florida has two NHL hockey teams, while the province of Quebec -- the very cradle of the game -- has only one. It's just not right.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
6 years ago?

The Edmonton Oilers have been by far the worst team in the NHL over the past 2 seasons and that's something not even the Florida Panthers can match. A couple years ago Florida finished tied in points with the 8th place Montreal Canadiens, yet there was no fan support. For several seasons before that, Florida finished above .500 and while out of the playoffs, reasonably close to making them.

Edmonton sells out, and has good ratings. Florida is a deserted arena with no ratings.

This isn't a contest of who has the bigger fan base. Edmonton >>>>> Florida as a market. This isn't my agenda.

I am simply emphasising that for all Edmonton fans think they've had it bad, Florida fans have had it worse. By far the worst team in the league for 2 years? Try 1 and 1/2 and in those years guess what, Florida has also been one of the worst teams in the league. Lets extend back even further ; Edmonton has a finals appearance this century. Florida doesn't even have a playoff appearance. It's not even arguable which is the worse run and which fan base has had more misery. Edmonton have had golden years compared to Florida.

No team in the NHL outside of Columbus ranks near Florida in terms of pure misery for the last 10 years.

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc
6 years ago?

I guarantee you that if the Canucks hadn't made the playoffs in 10 years their attendance would be terrible too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad