Confirmed with Link: Info/rules coming out about NHL return to play

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Of course, any player sent to a taxi squad would have to pass through waivers. So you can only do this if you're not worried about a player being claimed.
They’ll send a bunch of guys down to start the season like every year. Then won’t have to worry about waivers after they clear. Other than the 30 day rules etc.

Reactions: Shootica

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
So there is all this talk that teams will keep a 20 man roster and assign players to the taxi squad on non-game days to save cap space. Is there a limit on how many times you can assign and recall them?

To bury the most for salary cap purposes clear Okposo through waivers and assign him to taxi squad on non-game days. Players in the minors don't pay escrow. I wonder if it will be the same thing for the taxi squad - just saying that could be more money in Okposo's pocket too.

More cap space may be a way to afford a different goalie, or a rental at the deadline (being optimistic here!)

If the Sabres want to save Pegula bucks then they will want players on 2 way contracts on the taxi squad.

No limit to how many times you can send down and recall a player, but at a certain point they'd have to go through waivers again.

Waiving Okposo only saves us $1.075M or whatever the daily rate there is. Same with any other player making that much or more.

And are you sure that's how it works with escrow? Seems backwards to me but I don't know how that works. I'd think that anyone getting paid an NHL salary (so any one-way contract) would have to pay in.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No limit to how many times you can send down and recall a player, but at a certain point they'd have to go through waivers again.

Waiving Okposo only saves us $1.075M or whatever the daily rate there is. Same with any other player making that much or more.

And are you sure that's how it works with escrow? Seems backwards to me but I don't know how that works. I'd think that anyone getting paid an NHL salary (so any one-way contract) would have to pay in.
The feeling of waiving Okposo: priceless.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Under the last CBA, players receiving an NHL salary in the minors were not subject to escrow.
I don’t know if that has changed, as I have not read the RTP agreement, as the issue has definitely become a point of contention.

However, if they decided that salaries assigned to the minors were still subject to escrow, you could have a theoretical situation in which the players would exceed the 50/50 split, as each time an NHL salary is sent to the minors, an equal amount of potential NHL salary is created.

Reactions: Shootica

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Under the last CBA, players receiving an NHL salary in the minors were not subject to escrow.
I don’t know if that has changed, as I have not read the RTP agreement, as the issue has definitely become a point of contention.

However, if they decided that salaries assigned to the minors were still subject to escrow, you could have a theoretical situation in which the players would exceed the 50/50 split, as each time an NHL salary is sent to the minors, an equal amount of potential NHL salary is created.
Players are going to exceed the 50/50 split by quite a lot this year regardless how they handle escrow with the taxi squad.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
In fairness, I'm sure they'll be well below capacity for distancing and require masks... but then again thousands of people together in a cold enclosed place for hours seems short sighted both for the fans and the players for the moment.

Reactions: Jacob582

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Sabres will be putting actual taxi drivers on their taxi squad because it's more efficient.

upload_2020-12-20_20-44-53.png

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
In fairness, I'm sure they'll be well below capacity for distancing and require masks... but then again thousands of people together in a cold enclosed place for hours seems short sighted both for the fans and the players for the moment.
Yeah, I'm glad Eichel is not playing in Dallas or Florida in the regular season. I don't know what the data says about covid and arenas, but I rather keep our captain (and all Sabres players) safer. Selfishly don't want them at increased risk to be quarantined, too, so they can win us more games.

Edit. found this quote:
"Experts speculate that ice rinks may trap the virus around head level in a rink that, by design, restricts airflow, temperature and humidity."

Member 308457

I read that Buffalo's going to play 8 games each (total of 56) against its new realigned division (Boston, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington)...there will be no other games. I'm not too excited about this lack of variety and tough schedule and will not be buying the NHL package this year. Despite the roster improvements, I think it'll be another non-playoff year. I hope I'm wrong.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The re-alignment hurts their playoff chances IMO. I'd have given them better than even odds in the old format.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
The re-alignment hurts their playoff chances IMO. I'd have given them better than even odds in the old format.
I dunno, all the teams here have their warts and I'd rather not have Tampa or Toronto in my division. We also gained the worst team in the league which we get to play 8 times...

Reactions: joshjull

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That may be true but it is what it is. If the Sabres can't make the playoffs I'm not shedding sympathetic tears. Gotta step up for once and just do it. I'm not sure it's true, though. Some good teams left the division, not to mention how unpredictable I expect this season to be.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
You need to be able to beat the best to make the playoffs. 8 games vs Jersey and 0 vs Tampa? If we don't take at least 12 of 16 against Jersey and 10 of 16 vs the Rangers we don't deserve playoffs. Rangers and Devils in our division should mean 20+ points out of 32.

Get 22 points from the Rangers+Devils, and just need 4 points above. 500 against the other 5 teams. That is 66 points out of 112. .589 points %. That is between 96-97 points in a full 82 game season and SHOULD be enough to get in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad