Confirmed with Link: Info/rules coming out about NHL return to play

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I saw this map. We complain that Sabres are in the toughest division, but at least the travel is minimal compared to other divisions.

I thought of that as well. I’m not sure how much of an advantage or disadvantage our division will be. All teams will be dealing with a somewhat chaotic start and a new world with taxi squads etc. How quickly teams adjust may have a bigger impact than their overall talent levels.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I thought of that as well. I’m not sure how much of an advantage or disadvantage our division will be. All teams will be dealing with a somewhat chaotic start and a new world with taxi squads etc. How quickly teams adjust may have a bigger impact than their overall talent levels.
Teams that can keep their top players healthy and out of quarantine may be critical.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Still looking to find clarification about junior eligible players and the taxi squad.
Good point. I was thinking that they would be shuffling Cozens to taxi squad on non-game days to save cap space. I don't think they will be allowed to do that because of the CHL-NHL agreement. Taxi squad is being considered similar to assigning to the minors.

I guess other guys on 2-way contracts will be doing this shuffle instead.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
With the rules, I envision the taxi squad to look like this:

Tokarski - fills 3rd goalie spot

Davidson
Irwin - neither need the AHL reps

Lazar
Reider - gives time to figure out R2, Cozens, Quinn, and Asplund. If needed slide Quinn back to OHL and Asplund to Rochester while signing tweeners

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
With the rules, I envision the taxi squad to look like this:

Tokarski - fills 3rd goalie spot

Davidson
Irwin - neither need the AHL reps

Lazar
Reider - gives time to figure out R2, Cozens, Quinn, and Asplund. If needed slide Quinn back to OHL and Asplund to Rochester while signing tweeners
I think that is close.
I think the roster looks like:
Eichel.
Hall.
Skinner.
Reinhart.
Olofsson.
Okposo.
Girgensons.
Staal.
Eakin.
Thompson.
Ruotsalainen.
Lazar.
Cozens.
Reider.

Dahlin.
Miller
Montour.
Ristolainen.
McCabe.
Jokiharju.
Irwin.

Hutton
Ullmark.

Taxi:
Dea/Smith/Quinn/Nelson (1 wild card spot)
Asplund
Mittlestadt.
Davidson.
Borgen.
Tokarski

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Screenshot_20201220-165726.png

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
So there is all this talk that teams will keep a 20 man roster and assign players to the taxi squad on non-game days to save cap space. Is there a limit on how many times you can assign and recall them?

To bury the most for salary cap purposes clear Okposo through waivers and assign him to taxi squad on non-game days. Players in the minors don't pay escrow. I wonder if it will be the same thing for the taxi squad - just saying that could be more money in Okposo's pocket too.

More cap space may be a way to afford a different goalie, or a rental at the deadline (being optimistic here!)

If the Sabres want to save Pegula bucks then they will want players on 2 way contracts on the taxi squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad