Injury Report: Infirmary [UPD: Gazdic (Shoulder), Petry (Shoulder), Ference (Arm)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Why is Edmonton being so secretive about when these players are coming back? I want to know when Pitlick is coming back and they've had more than enough time to figure it out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why is Edmonton being so secretive about when these players are coming back? I want to know when Pitlick is coming back and they've had more than enough time to figure it out.

Probably because Eakins has seen what the fan base does when a player comes back too soon or too late.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
He explained it in an early season press conference.

If he gives a date and the guy comes back early, then the team is rushing him.

If he gives a date and the guy comes back late, then the team is hiding something and/or the doctors are incompetent.

It's lose/lose for the team.

It is lose / lose for the team, but being held accountable usually is. Unless the team makes good decisions, then it's no problem. For example, and this may be me playing doctor*, but shouldn't questions be raised about Sam Gagner coming back too soon? I don't think I'm too far out of line saying he was awful for the first 7 games he was back and *MAY* have rushed back. Possibly to the detriment of the team?

*I am not a doctor

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It is lose / lose for the team, but being held accountable usually is. Unless the team makes good decisions, then it's no problem. For example, and this may be me playing doctor*, but shouldn't questions be raised about Sam Gagner coming back too soon? I don't think I'm too far out of line saying he was awful for the first 7 games he was back and *MAY* have rushed back. Possibly to the detriment of the team?

*I am not a doctor

And this is why Eakins doesn't release info.

People complained heavily about Hall coming back from those stitches, yet the doctors and players said there was no issue. But no we had numerous pages about how stupid the Oilers were and were risking his health.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
And this is why Eakins doesn't release info.

People complained heavily about Hall coming back from those stitches, yet the doctors and players said there was no issue. But no we had numerous pages about how stupid the Oilers were and were risking his health.

So the solution to being questioned is to never allow the question to be asked? Got it. I don't think asking about a guy that had his forehead stepped on is necessarily a bad thing. Never mind asking questions about Hemsky playing with a broken foot, Eberle playing with a broken finger, RNH playing without a shoulder, Gagner playing without a face. What did Sheldon Souray say about the Oilers and injuries? What did Mike Comrie say about the Oilers?

This isn't a case of snarky internet dwellers being snarky. This is a case of people noticing a pattern.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So the solution to being questioned is to never allow the question to be asked? Got it. I don't think asking about a guy that had his forehead stepped on is necessarily a bad thing. Never mind asking questions about Hemsky playing with a broken foot, Eberle playing with a broken finger, RNH playing without a shoulder, Gagner playing without a face. What did Sheldon Souray say about the Oilers and injuries? What did Mike Comrie say about the Oilers?

This isn't a case of snarky internet dwellers being snarky. This is a case of people noticing a pattern.

RNH wouldn't go for surgery that can't force him. Hesmky, Eberle and Gagner injuries happen all the time and guys play through the pain. As for Souray and Comrie, well Moreau and Staios said they were never asked to play under the circumstances that Souray was and this was after both were dealt.

Pro sports in general aren't saying a lot about injuries anymore, get use to it because it isn't changing.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Nobody is saying the question can't be asked, ask and scrutinize to your heart's content.

The stance of the Oilers (and many teams in pro sports these days) is that they absolutely have no obligation nor inclination to answer your question in the way that you wish it to be answered...which is why we live in the world of "upper body, lower body" injury descriptions.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
RNH wouldn't go for surgery that can't force him. Hesmky, Eberle and Gagner injuries happen all the time and guys play through the pain. As for Souray and Comrie, well Moreau and Staios said they were never asked to play under the circumstances that Souray was and this was after both were dealt.

Pro sports in general aren't saying a lot about injuries anymore, get use to it because it isn't changing.

I can tolerate teams keeping their cards close, but in the age of communication they open the door to a lot of criticism when the results don't back up the methods. For me, injuries have become a "where there's smoke there's fire" type of indication of the flaws within the organization.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

The biggest issue I see for you is that you think you're entitled to information the team has absolutely NO Obligation to provide to you. Guys get hurt, All The Time, but if everytime someone does, and the Organization tells you, it turns into an excuse to crush the Organization, the Organization is going to stop giving you that "information"

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
The biggest issue I see for you is that you think you're entitled to information the team has absolutely NO Obligation to provide to you. Guys get hurt, All The Time, but if everytime someone does, and the Organization tells you, it turns into an excuse to crush the Organization, the Organization is going to stop giving you that "information"

I understand the organization managing information day to day because we don't want to announce to another team a player has a buggered left wrist. But eventually the buggered left wrist is going to become known either because of surgery reports, or video replay, or loose lips, or because of a sudden unexplained drop off in play. So at that point we as fans (I assume the media could do this too) get to go back and look at what happened and when and start asking questions. AND we get to use our 20/20 hindsight when doing so. I'm not saying this is fair to the organization, because it does put them into a really hard sport. Especially when 8 years happens.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
You know the plus for Pitlick and Bachman is that they were hurt in the NHL rather than the AHL so at least they've been collecting NHL paycheques. If my math is correct that's $153,692 and counting for Pitlick rather than $12,807. Bachman's getting $99,359 rather than $35,769.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Its good to hear that Pitlick is skating. Really liked the way he played and we could sure use it. Hopefully he can return by the end of this week.

Well the book on Pitlick at the AHL level is he plays mediocre, eventually starts to play well, gets hurt, comes back and plays crappy, then when he eventually is playing good again he gets hurt again. Hopefully he can break that cycle.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
Not sure if I am repeating this news but Bryz has concussion-type symptoms (Edm Journal) and will not play for awhile. Whenever we have players doing well, it is like clock-work that sooner than later, he will be out due to ian injury.

Again, this brings up the point of having some players that can respond from the incident of Garbutt's hit on Bryz. Any type of response would have been nice to see but no, everyone is standing around checking the weather...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Not sure if I am repeating this news but Bryz has concussion-type symptoms (Edm Journal) and will not play for awhile. Whenever we have players doing well, it is like clock-work that sooner than later, he will be out due to ian injury.

Again, this brings up the point of having some players that can respond from the incident of Garbutt's hit on Bryz. Any type of response would have been nice to see but no, everyone is standing around checking the weather...

Having a tough guy around does nothing. Eye for eye is the only thing that will teach these punks like Garbutt. If they knock our goalie out, then whoops, someone might just lose a step and slide into their goalie a couple of times. Cheapshot one of our stars? Perhaps 5 and a game against one of theirs isn't too high a price to pay.

Beating up the offender is pointless. The only way to stop them is to have their own teammates tell them to cut it out because they are losing guys too because of how he's playing. I'd prefer they stand around and talk about the weather and answer in kind on the ice.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary

Why on Earth would anyone "respond" to Garbutt's contact with Bryz? It was incidental contact and Eakins said as much. You want to respond, you go out and win the game - don't take stupid penalties.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Why on Earth would anyone "respond" to Garbutt's contact with Bryz? It was incidental contact and Eakins said as much. You want to respond, you go out and win the game - don't take stupid penalties.

Any other team would stick up for their goalie in that situation. Incidental or not, this team "bus stops," way too often, and now fans such as yourself have become complacent.

Sure, go out and win, but protect and defend your teammates on the way to that W.

This group of individuals that we call the Oilers is nowhere near anything that could be considered a team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Having a tough guy around does nothing. Eye for eye is the only thing that will teach these punks like Garbutt. If they knock our goalie out, then whoops, someone might just lose a step and slide into their goalie a couple of times. Cheapshot one of our stars? Perhaps 5 and a game against one of theirs isn't too high a price to pay.

Beating up the offender is pointless. The only way to stop them is to have their own teammates tell them to cut it out because they are losing guys too because of how he's playing. I'd prefer they stand around and talk about the weather and answer in kind on the ice.

Garbutt was running players long before he hit Ilya. Gazdic or Mac grab him and he might've not continued running around.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
Any other team would stick up for their goalie in that situation. Incidental or not, this team "bus stops," way too often, and now fans such as yourself have become complacent.

Sure, go out and win, but protect and defend your teammates on the way to that W.

This group of individuals that we call the Oilers is nowhere near anything that could be considered a team.

I was complacent a long time ago. I got that way by watching the Oilers so much.

That said, I think you're picking the wrong hill to die on. There are better times to stand up for a teammate IMO. Besides, Smid used to stick up for his goalie all the time and that didn't prevent much of anything - as far as I can tell.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing a nuclear threat appear at the next Canucks game to smash Kassian into oblivion.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Garbutt was running players long before he hit Ilya. Gazdic or Mac grab him and he might've not continued running around.

Yeah maybe, for that game. Or maybe he wears his beating as a badge of honour for helping his team's chances and paying the price to do so. Plus we hand them a PP in the process. And it definitely wouldn't stop him from doing the same thing next time we play them.

If they lost KL or Benn because of how he was playing, he might rethink it. Or be forced to by the rest of the team. Beating on him is at best a temporary fix, and not even certain of being that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad