Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Kris Letang is so overrated. Complete train wreck in his own zone. I want no part of him at the speculated price. None at all.

I think this past post season might be clouding your judgment.I blame a lot of Pens defensive struggles(in the post season) on their coach. He isn't a world beater defensively but he's solid.

I would agree with some of this...

But I don't think Varlamov quit on the team, I think he got in his own way mentally and when we would go down early in games he wouldn't be able to mentally get back on track.

But I never thought that he quit on the team.

I actually disagree with most of it. Specifically, the varly and injury excuses.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Wouldn't Vanek be the player you target in order to pair him with Stastny?
I do not think he would be a great fit with either one of Duchene/O'Reilly.

A top line of Vanek - Duchene - Parenteau would give any team a run for their money.

Match Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie against other teams top lines.

Get some third line scoring from McGinn - Mitchell - Jones.

Grit, veteran, strong defensively 4th line of McLeod - Gordon - Kobasew.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
On another note, I was just wondering why nobody is mentioning Foligno from Buffalo in all these rumours? 6 foot 3, 225 pounds and has 11 goals and 20 assists for 31 points in 61 games played. I've only seen him play a handful of games but he looked great. The kid has only played the last handful of games in the season before the lockout and then the shortened season. Not even a full 82 games under his belt yet but looks like he may be something special. Anybody that sees him more have anything to add? We don't really need another C in Grigorenko, now a huge power forward LW that seems to have good potential fits better to our needs.

Not that it completely negates the possibility of the kid being traded, but hes from Buffalo and is a fan favorite. Which makes him harder to pry away regardless of his actual value.

I want quality too, but if you get a package that includes a signed Vanek + that's pretty good quality. That's a big bodied 40 goal, PPG LW to play next to Duchene on the top line, plus whatever else you get like Sekera to play next to EJ and the #8, that should include a pretty good prospect. That should be enough to give any GM pause. If Roy can sweeten the pot even more and land Grigorenko or Armia or some other decent piece, that's a pretty tempting offer.

I think we should trade for Vanek without using the #1 over all pick, obviously he would need to be available as rumored. We have the pieces that's for sure...

I've thrown out #32 + Sgarbossa + 2014 first for Vanek, and got some mixed reviews. The point is we could put together a comparable package to the ones in the past that have landed better players with one year left on their contract. I'd probably try to top 10 protect the 2014 1st contingent on Vanek signing, but with Vanek and Seth Jones added I think we'd be fine.

If we got him to sign with us, I'd say our roster would be pretty well filled out with the main pieces we'd need to compete. As long as S. Jones had success, and Varly showed improvement with better defense and coaching in front of him. We'd pretty much have to buy out D. Jones if we acquired Vanek and wanted to resign him though.

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Vanek - Stastny - Downie/Vincour

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Vincour/Downie

McLeod - Mitchell/Malone - Bordy

Barrie - EJ

Scuderi - Jones

Hejda - Elliott/Wilson

SOB/Hunwick

I'd at least try giving all three of our centers a primary winger first before putting Vanek on Duchene's line.

Edit : In saying this... We could draft Mackinnon, but it would be much harder to find that defender via trade than the winger obviously. So there is an element of drafting for 'need' in this idea. Which I'm sure will piss a few people off, but it fills the last two major holes in the roster that are holding us back.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Last week Dreger started the Malkin rumours and now he has moved on to Letang.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
A top line of Vanek - Duchene - Parenteau would give any team a run for their money.

You would have Boyd Gordon lower on the depth chart than John Mitchell? No....

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The guy just pulls crap out of his ass. I still think he's respectable but when he starts speculating and people take it seriously it gets annoying.

I don't know, I think the Letang-Malkin situation is a pretty fair speculation to make. As long as he points out that it's just speculation, like he did.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

You're putting a lot pressure on the Landy line to produce goals to keep us from becoming a 1 line team because that third line sucks. If you're bring Vanek to play with Staz those guys can just play their game and dominate the puck when they're on the ice cause even if they're not scoring and the other team is focusing on the Dutchy line, Staz and Vanek will rip them up.

If we go after Vanek and it's not part of a crazy blockbuster for the first overall, it should be at the deadline as a rental we try to convince to stay on for like a 1st + prospect. If it works we could charge into the playoffs with

McGinn - Dutchy - Parenteau
Vanek - Staz - Jones / Sgar
Landy - O'Reilly - Downie
Bordy / Highlander - Malone - Olver

Barrie - EJ
Scuderi / Hejda - Seth
Hejda / O'Brien - Wilson / Elliott

Varly
Giggy

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You're putting a lot pressure on the Landy line to produce goals to keep us from becoming a 1 line team because that third line sucks. If you're bring Vanek to play with Staz those guys can just play their game and dominate the puck when they're on the ice cause even if they're not scoring and the other team is focusing on the Dutchy line, Staz and Vanek will rip them up.

If we go after Vanek and it's not part of a crazy blockbuster for the first overall, it should be at the deadline as a rental we try to convince to stay on for like a 1st + prospect. If it works we could charge into the playoffs with

Barrie - EJ
Scuderi / Hejda - Seth

Varly
Giggy

This works, I'd rather pay the extra bit it would take to get Vanek this off-season though. Overall it just fits so well with what we need.

In order to keep Vanek the following season, Wilson, Jones, and one of Hunwick/SOB would all need to be gone. Assuming they buyout Zannon this off-season.

We have just enough space to give Vanek his 7M extension/long term contract and resign everyone if we move out the dead weight contracts. Those four contracts total 10.1M, which is absurd but true.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
You would have Boyd Gordon lower on the depth chart than John Mitchell? No....

The line numbers don't mean anything ... Gordon would probably get more ice time with PK duties. Gordon would just be a better fit with McLeod and Kobasew instead of with McGinn and Jones.

Barrie - EJ
Scuderi / Hejda - Seth

Varly
Giggy

That line-up would never get under the cap for 2014/2015, even if the Avs magically spent all the way up to the cap. I'm sure they'll spend more, but they won't go bonkers until they have a competitive core signed for many years. I don't see the Avs keeping Duchene, Stastny and O'Reilly in any combination of line-ups long-term, you just can't have 18 million tied to 3 centres and have decent wingers for all of them.

The Avs need to load up on their top 2 lines and play them to death, none of this spreading the offense over 3 lines, its not working, need quality, not quantity.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
All these rumors remind me in 2009 when the rumor was Kessel for our 3rd overall pick. In hindsight....

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The line numbers don't mean anything ... Gordon would probably get more ice time with PK duties. Gordon would just be a better fit with McLeod and Kobasew instead of with McGinn and Jones.

That line-up would never get under the cap for 2014/2015, even if the Avs magically spent all the way up to the cap. I'm sure they'll spend more, but they won't go bonkers until they have a competitive core signed for many years. I don't see the Avs keeping Duchene, Stastny and O'Reilly in any combination of line-ups long-term, you just can't have 18 million tied to 3 centres and have decent wingers for all of them.

The Avs need to load up on their top 2 lines and play them to death, none of this spreading the offense over 3 lines, its not working, need quality, not quantity.

2014-15

FORWARDS

Jamie McGinn ($3.000m) / Matt Duchene ($6.000m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)

Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Paul Stastny ($5.500m) / Tomas Vincour ($0.800m) <--- This could be someone else, but we'll need at least one cheap young forward in the top 9 getting experience anyways. Could be Vincour, Hishon, Heard, Sgarbossa, or another reasonable UFA role player type like Gordon. (He plays RW as well as C) It would probably be between whoever wasn't used in trade for Vanek though. I have a feeling that Vincour's tool kit will allow for him to have the best chance at this spot though. Power forward/Good size/Good shot/Goes to the dirty areas, he'll have a chance at least to be a McGinn type secondary winger.

Gabriel Landeskog ($4.000m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($5.500m) / Steve Downie ($3.000m)

Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Brad Malone ($0.850m) / Patrick Bordeleau ($1.000m)

Mark Olver ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Tyson Barrie ($2.500m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)

Rob Scuderi ($3.500m) / Seth Jones ($3.750m)

Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Stefan Elliott ($1.500m)

Duncan Siemens ($1.388m) /

GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($4.000m)
Calvin Pickard ($0.870m)

OTHER
Buyout: Greg Zanon ($0.000m)
Buyout: David Jones ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,051,190; BONUSES: $2,585,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,533,810 (About 3M without bonuses)

Some things have to fall into place obviously, like Stastny taking a paycut and O'Reilly signing a longer term deal around 5M. I think we have a good chance of getting Duchene at somewhere around 6M as well.

Now this is with,

- Jones & Zannon bought out

- Vanek brought in for assets like #32, 2014 1st, Sgarbossa, basically futures. Which should work basing it on deals in the past for forwards who have one year left coming off of rebuilding teams. As long as we can extend him at an AAV similar to his current 7M we're fine, and that's reasonable IMO.

- Wilson, O'Brien, and Hunwick traded or let go by the 2014 off-season. They have enough value to be moved, and we can't be paying 6/7 defenders 2+ million anymore. It's just dumb...

- Mitchell moved out at the trade deadline or let go, hes a waste of salary considering Malone and other guys we have who can center the 4th line just as well for cheaper.

If they at least extend our core guys like Duchene, O'Reilly, Stastny, and Landeskog to deals similar to these. It's completely possible... I gave Downie and McGinn both 3M a piece, that could be more or less depending on next season, but it's a realistic number for them IMO.

I also gave Varly 4M, because even if he improves next season they are going to want to see it again before handing him 4-5M long term. I also retired Jiggy after next season because I think Calvin will be pushing for a backup role by then and there is a good chance Jiggy retires at 37 years old.

Last, unless Landeskog holds out like O'Reilly did. He'll probably see something closer to a 4M bridge deal rather than 5 or 6M long term. So we'll have a couple years to deal with the remainder of what's needed to keep him.

Barrie got something comparable to MDZ & Subban's deals, which is very realistic.

Hejda could also be traded to clear up a couple million with another 6/7 guy brought in, especially if Siemens is ready for a bottom pairing role in the 2014-15 season. So like I said, some things need to be shored up, but it's completely possible if we can get some cost certainty this off-season, and the right moves are made.

People just spitball this idea that we will have cap issues if we bring in any significant salary, and that we can't afford to keep all three centers without actually looking at the numbers. These are not even remotely unrealistic contracts either. There is going to come a time where the team is going to need to manage salary closer to the cap, all the good teams have to do it at some point.

This is a playoff worth roster for next season IMO, and the potential to be competitive in the playoffs once our core matures completely.

Last edited:

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
That's alot of ifs, ands or buts ... Zanon wouldn't need to be bought out though, contract up.

It might be do-able, but the Avs aren't winning the cup next year, thus I don't see Kroenke approving a 67 million dollar budget, plus Jones buy-out, the following year.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
That's alot of ifs, ands or buts ... Zanon wouldn't need to be bought out though, contract up.

It might be do-able, but the Avs aren't winning the cup next year, thus I don't see Kroenke approving a 67 million dollar budget, plus Jones buy-out, the following year.

roycoach.jpg

As Justin Bieber says, Never say never.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
Whoa...there was a rumor of Kessel for our 3rd overall pick!?

Yes. It was actually on the Leafs TV draft special when they were showing behind the scenes stuff with Brian Burke and some Leafs personnel. He was going down the list of the teams with the top picks and how likely they were to trade out of their spots (remember, this is the draft where he publicly stated he wanted to go after Tavares) and when he got to the Avs at 3, I don't remember the exact wording, but he basically said that the Bruins had offered the Avs Kessel for the #3 overall.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yes. It was actually on the Leafs TV draft special when they were showing behind the scenes stuff with Brian Burke and some Leafs personnel. He was going down the list of the teams with the top picks and how likely they were to trade out of their spots (remember, this is the draft where he publicly stated he wanted to go after Tavares) and when he got to the Avs at 3, I don't remember the exact wording, but he basically said that the Bruins had offered the Avs Kessel for the #3 overall.

?

Wasn't Kessel on the Leafs in 2009?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

Thank God they didn't make that swap, Duchene is better than Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad