Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Vanek, Ehrhoff, Stafford, Sekera?

Vanek is our top forward, 40 goal pace last season and has hit 40 twice before.

Ehrhoff was probably our #1D. Sekera was in our top 4.

Stafford underperformed last year but is 27 and usually a 50 point winger.

Once we start going for players under 25, the Sabres would be wise to hold on to whatever they can. We're going for a shoot the moon kind of rebuild.

Vanek, 29, only has one year left on his deal and will get $7M+ on his next contract as well. The Avs will have to make him the highest paid player on the team and one of the highest paid players in the league or he'll walk.

Ehrhoff, 31, isn't very good defensively and is signed until 2021. The contract is way too long and I doubt the Avs have any interest in him.

Stafford, 27, is a solid player. That's all I've got.

Sekera, 27, is a good defenseman and I like him but at best he's probably a #4 on a contending team. He would be the Avs second best defensemen right now but that's not saying much.

Besides Vanek, none of these guys are game changers and they never will be. They're solid players you can surround your stars with but they're not players you build a team around. I don't like the chances of the #8 and/or #16 pick becoming a star player either.

It's hard to say how prospects will turn out and Jones/MacKinnon could end up being busts but they have the potential to be franchise players you can build around. I wouldn't trade them for "quantity" and I hope Sakic/Roy feel the same way.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I thought about it more and I've changed my answer on which players I'd need to see coming back Colorado's way in a trade with Buffalo.

It would have to be Tyler Myers, Cody Hodgson, plus other assets for me to be comfortable with it. The 1st overall pick is too important.

member 116861

I thought about it more and I've changed my answer on which players I'd need to see coming back Colorado's way in a trade with Buffalo.

It would have to be Tyler Myers, Cody Hodgson, plus other assets for me to be comfortable with it. The 1st overall pick is too important.

I still wouldn't do it, we need high end talent more than we need depth.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

This is so true... The more I think about it, the more I am against pretty much any kind of trade for quantity. Regardless of how much that is...

About the only trade that would make sense for us, would be something like Pietrangelo for #1 & #32. But it does not make much sense for St. Louis, unless they feel their defense can take the hit in order to bring in a star #1 center.

Basically, the chances of someone giving us one or two players of the quality needed to move the #1 over all pick is slim to none...

I think the reason some of these proposals are interesting is because the best ones usually fill our two major needs at wing and defense with good but not great players that allow us to compete now. It's interesting, but almost always those players have huge question marks giving the trade a high probability to blow up in our face.

I hope all of this is basically posturing to get Florida to give up something of value to swap picks. If we can pickup Campbell, or even their 2nd round pick #31, and select Jones. It's a win IMO.

Count me as sick of these proposals, even though I've participated in the discussion quite a bit. I'm just over it...

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
This is so true... The more I think about it, the more I am against pretty much any kind of trade for quantity. Regardless of how much that is...

About the only trade that would make sense for us, would be something like Pietrangelo for #1 & #32. But it does not make much sense for St. Louis, unless they feel their defense can take the hit in order to bring in a star #1 center.

Basically, the chances of someone giving us one or two players of the quality needed to move the #1 over all pick is slim to none...

I think the reason some of these proposals are interesting is because the best ones usually fill our two major needs at wing and defense with good but not great players that allow us to compete now. It's interesting, but almost always those players have huge question marks giving the trade a high probability to blow up in our face.

I hope all of this is basically posturing to get Florida to give up something of value to swap picks. If we can pickup Campbell, or even their 2nd round pick #31, and select Jones. It's a win IMO.

Count me as sick of these proposals, even though I've participated in the discussion quite a bit. I'm just over it...

If Campbell is the only thing we could get in a trade w/ Florida, I'd rather just keep the 1st pick...I'd take the #31 OA though

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I believe both players are high end talent who could help turn the Avalanche around over night.

I know building a competitive team isn't a sprint, but they're both 23-years-old on top of it.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The only deal i'd accept is a ridiculous overpayment, which IMO would be Myers + Psysk/Sekera + Hodgson/Vanek (negotiated a contract before trade) + 8.

So in other words, I don't want it traded.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Presume that Buffalo takes Mac with the 1st overall pick. (I presume they take a forward, right? )

Avs Get: (going of the Dater article)
8th Overall
Miller
Grigorenko
"defensive prospect"

Buffalo Get:
1st Overall

With the top tier offensive player off the board, perhaps you then turn around and flip a trade with Florida for the 2nd Overall Pick. (I again presume that Florida would be looking for offensive help and/or a goalie before a D man)

Florida Get: (Avs would have to "overpay" )
Varlamov (They need a goalie)
Stastny - Avs eat 2 million of his contract/cap for this year - (They need a center to replace Wiess who is presumably leaving)
Barrie or Elliott (getting a decent young 3rd/4th D man who can lead a 2nd unit PP)
Avs 1st in 2014 (probably will be at worst a top 20 pick)
Avs 2nd in 2013 (almost a 1st round pick)

Avs Get:
2nd Overall

Avs then draft Jones at #2, ending up with Jones, Miller, the 8th overall (hoping for Darnel Nurse) out of the whole shebang. (plus an unknown D prospect)

Miller either regains his form and is a top tier goalie for the next 4-5 years or is the stop gap until one of the big 4 goalie prospects for the Avs steps up.

Jones and Nurse add to a D core that is growing in size and talent. Nurse (6'5), Jones (6'3), Siemens (6'3), Hejda (6'4), O'Brien (6'3), Johnson (6'4), Elliott (6'1), Barrie (5'10), Wilson (6'1)

Grigorenko gives the Avs a forward with size and skill that should age in well with the core and gives the Avs options as far as playing him on the wing or having O'Reilly on the 3rd line.

Totally a pipe dream trade, but fun to think about.

Last edited:

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Florida Get:
Stastny - Avs eat 2 million of his contract/cap for this year - (They need a center to replace Wiess who is presumably leaving)
Barrie or Elliott (getting a decent young 3rd/4th D man who can lead a 2nd unit PP)

Avs Get:
2nd Overall

Are you ignoring that fact, that they have Markstrom one of the higher touted younger goalies coming into the league, why would they trade for a slightly older goalie who's had consistency issues. Theyd probably only be interested in someone older capable of being a 1b mentor.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Don't want anything to do with Miller.

Florida already has a goalie in Markstrom.

I think the Avs need to just hold onto the pick and not complicate things with these trade scenarios.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Are you ignoring that fact, that they have Markstrom one of the higher touted younger goalies coming into the league, why would they trade for a slightly older goalie who's had consistency issues. Theyd probably only be interested in someone older capable of being a 1b mentor.

The other alternative is that you flip Miller to Florida of course, but I would suspect the Avs motives, at least in part, would be to get a goalie...of course there are other alternatives to Miller coming from Buffalo that would work too.

I am not ignoring Markström, but he is no more proven at the NHL level than Varlamov...and what better to push one young goalie than another young goalie.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Presume that Buffalo takes Mac with the 1st overall pick. (I presume they take a forward, right? )

Avs Get: (going of the Dater article)
8th Overall
Miller
Grigorenko
"defensive prospect"

Buffalo Get:
1st Overall

With the top tier offensive player off the board, perhaps you then turn around and flip a trade with Florida for the 2nd Overall Pick. (I again presume that Florida would be looking for offensive help and/or a goalie before a D man)

Florida Get: (Avs would have to "overpay" )

Avs Get:
2nd Overall

Avs then draft Jones at #2, ending up with Jones, Miller, the 8th overall (hoping for Darnel Nurse) out of the whole shebang. (plus an unknown D prospect)

Miller either regains his form and is a top tier goalie for the next 4-5 years or is the stop gap until one of the big 4 goalie prospects for the Avs steps up.

Jones and Nurse add to a D core that is growing in size and talent. Nurse (6'5), Jones (6'3), Siemens (6'3), Hejda (6'4), O'Brien (6'3), Johnson (6'4), Elliott (6'1), Barrie (5'10), Wilson (6'1)

Grigorenko gives the Avs a forward with size and skill that should age in well with the core and gives the Avs options as far as playing him on the wing or having O'Reilly on the 3rd line.

Totally a pipe dream trade, but fun to think about.

Wow, it would be a whole hell of a lot easier just to take jones with the number 1. I don't know if Florida takes that deal anyway.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It seems Hendricks is on his way out of Washington.

On another note, the only way Buffalo gets our pick is if they secure one of the Tampa's or Preds picks and then trade up.

member 116861

Hodgson and Myers both have the potential to be Top Pair/Top Line players though.

I disagree with Hodgson and if we do pick Seth Jones, he has a lot more potential than Myers. He also has more risk but he also doesn't come with the big salary that Myers comes with.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I disagree with Hodgson and if we do pick Seth Jones, he has a lot more potential than Myers. He also has more risk but he also doesn't come with the big salary that Myers comes with.

Even though I want Jones, I'd rather take Mackinnon with the pick rather than trade it. So tired of these trade proposals... We're not getting a player of Jones or Mackinnon's caliber if we trade the pick and we need quality added to the roster, not quantity.

Florida should be the only team we are legitimately willing to trade with. The rest needs to be posturing.

Would Edmonton give us Yakupov + #7 for #1 & #32? Beyond that PASS.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Even though I want Jones, I'd rather take Mackinnon with the pick rather than trade it. So tired of these trade proposals... We're not getting a player of Jones or Mackinnon's caliber if we trade the pick and we need quality added to the roster, not quantity.

Florida should be the only team we are legitimately willing to trade with. The rest needs to be posturing.

Would Edmonton give us Yakupov + #7 for #1 & #32? Beyond that PASS.

I want quality too, but if you get a package that includes a signed Vanek + that's pretty good quality. That's a big bodied 40 goal, PPG LW to play next to Duchene on the top line, plus whatever else you get like Sekera to play next to EJ and the #8, that should include a pretty good prospect. That should be enough to give any GM pause. If Roy can sweeten the pot even more and land Grigorenko or Armia or some other decent piece, that's a pretty tempting offer.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
I hope Joe and Pat will try to bring him back. IMHO he is the type of player Patty would love and wants on our team. He will work his ass off, stand for teammates and will never quit.

Would love him back. We need that great pk 4th line C again. Back to back years we get rid of guys like this for some reason. Mcclemment was the other.

On another note, I was just wondering why nobody is mentioning Foligno from Buffalo in all these rumours? 6 foot 3, 225 pounds and has 11 goals and 20 assists for 31 points in 61 games played. I've only seen him play a handful of games but he looked great. The kid has only played the last handful of games in the season before the lockout and then the shortened season. Not even a full 82 games under his belt yet but looks like he may be something special. Anybody that sees him more have anything to add? We don't really need another C in Grigorenko, now a huge power forward LW that seems to have good potential fits better to our needs.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Would love him back. We need that great pk 4th line C again. Back to back years we get rid of guys like this for some reason. Mcclemment was the other.

On another note, I was just wondering why nobody is mentioning Foligno from Buffalo in all these rumours? 6 foot 3, 225 pounds and has 11 goals and 20 assists for 31 points in 61 games played. I've only seen him play a handful of games but he looked great. The kid has only played the last handful of games in the season before the lockout and then the shortened season. Not even a full 82 games under his belt yet but looks like he may be something special. Anybody that sees him more have anything to add? We don't really need another C in Grigorenko, now a huge power forward LW that seems to have good potential fits better to our needs.

He was pretty good last year down the stretch and Sabres fans were really, really high on him but struggled this year so they have tempered down their expectations a bit. Showed flashes, though.

I doubt Sabres give him up easy. He's valuable player even if he doesn't blossom to legit PF.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Huge fan of the kid, he plays like his old man did (but he won't be as good ofensively as Mike was) and he'll probably turn out like a better version of his big brother, a great 3rd liner who can fill a top 6 spot for shorter stretches. He's also the kind of a player this team is missing right now, a legit PWF who can put the puck in the net and fight almost anyone.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Lots of trade permutations. They're interesting, but not too many that I find terribly appealing.

The last thing the Avs want to do here, is to fill 2-3 of their 2nd pairing/line holes, and come out of this draft without having filled one of their 1st pairing/line holes.

Again, I don't much care which player they take at #1, as long as we're fairly comfortable that this player will fill a 1st pairing or 1st line roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad