Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
HNIC just said contract extension talk should begin soon with Matt Duchene

Also said Avs will be either 1-2-3 but not below unless huge offer is made.
Bet they talk to some other guys as well, including Landy. Really hope they're moving away from some of Lacroix's dump policies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wait on Landeskog unless you get him cheap. He had an off year and doesn't deserve a big contract.

O'Reilly should be the top priority. If you can't re-sign him, trade him at the deadline.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wait on Landeskog unless you get him cheap. He had an off year and doesn't deserve a big contract.

O'Reilly should be the top priority. If you can't re-sign him, trade him at the deadline.

Yea honestly I think we should try to sign all or as many as possible of our RFA's this summer. Give us an exact idea of what we have for next summer, to see what kind of room we have to bring in a big name player.

Ideally, this is what I would like to see this summer:

Stastny for 4x5.5M(Maximum of 6)
Duchene for 6x6M(Maximum of 7)
Oreilly for 5x5M(Maximum of 5.5, and if he wants more then we trade him)
Landeskog for 2x4M(Similar Prove it contract like Duchene had or 5x5)
Downie for 3x4M

I'd like to see us sign all 5 of those guys this summer. Then next summer we would only have Barrie, McGinn, and Varlamov as the big name RFA's.

Possibly Elliott.

Stay away from any big name UFA's this summer(Not really any available anyways) and go after a big name the following summer when we know what kind of Cap space we'll have.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Don't try to sign all of the RFA's but at least gauge their interest. I said Lando because he's the captain and I think they may be able to get him cheaper after a bad year. Signing them all takes away some incentive.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Don't try to sign all of the RFA's but at least gauge their interest. I said Lando because he's the captain and I think they may be able to get him cheaper after a bad year. Signing them all takes away some incentive.

I would absolutely get a contract with Duchene. Stastny could be a good one too so that we can give him a good look this year and if he has a contract extension at a better cap hit he will be a much better asset come trade deadline.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
...and some of you found the Toronto thread. Gotta learn when to leave a thread alone over there, especially with all the Leafs fans that like to steal our thunder and make us out to be some kind of raving madmen.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
...and some of you found the Toronto thread. Gotta learn when to leave a thread alone over there, especially with all the Leafs fans that like to steal our thunder and make us out to be some kind of raving madmen.

I made my peace, and will let it be. You can't fix crazy. :laugh:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

So tired of proposals for the pick it's not even funny... No one is going to give us a ready now player that is even close to the level Mack or Jones project to be.

I'd like to see us swap with Florida so they can take Mack at #1, but that's about the only thing I actually want to see. It takes some pressure off of Jones, and it gives us some sort of an asset to add to our depth.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
So tired of proposals for the pick it's not even funny... No one is going to give us a ready now player that is even close to the level Mack or Jones project to be.

I'd like to see us swap with Florida so they can take Mack at #1, but that's about the only thing I actually want to see. It takes some pressure off of Jones, and it gives us some sort of an asset to add to our depth.

This was Duchy for Phaneuf, where the OP said Duchy wasn't even a number one center yet and it was a very fair offer, oblivious to reality entirely. The number one pick I'm indifferent to, it's just a pick. Once we draft someone then everyone better back off.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I'd be intrested in trading the 1st to TB for the 3rd +, then trading the +, Stastny and + for Yandle, using the 3rd to draft Drouin.

Or

Trading the 1st to NSH for the 4th and Smith, then trading Smith, Stastny and + for Yandle, using the 4th to draft Nichushkin.

NHL13 ftw :naughty:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just saw the Duchene/Phaneuf thread....

That had some seriously exciting potential. My favorite part of it was the 1 guy saying Duchene wasn't even a 1st liner yet, then going on to call Phaneuf a legit Top pairing guy and he might have even said Phaneuf was a #1.

Anyways, back to reality. Was kind of thinking today that right now we have 2 big holes that need filling in order for us to really start looking at playoffs seriously. We need a Top line Winger for Duchene and PAP, and a Top Dman for EJ.

One of those 2 whole will likely be filled through the draft via either Drouin/Mack for the top line Duties. Or Via Jones for top pairing duties.

The question is, can we legitimately fill the 2nd whole this summer, rather then have to wait for the next draft or some other route.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing us start to dangle our 2014 1st rounder out to some of the rebuilding/retooling teams to at least gauge its value to them.

CGY, BUF, DAL, NSH, NJD, SJS, and even VAN all might have interest in a 1st next year.

And from those teams Giordano, Myers, Josi, Larsson, Pavelksi, Marleau, Edler are all guys that would fit the bill of things we need.

Its obviously a pretty sizeable risk to move our 2014 1st after the year we just had. But if we can fill both of our biggest wholes this summer, I think we would have a real strong shot at playoffs next year anyway. At worst our 2014 1st IMO would be in the 10-12 range.

Roy seems like he might be an aggressive guy who will want to turn around the team ASAP into a playoff caliber team, I could really see him trading that pick before next years draft.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I really wanted Stalberg, but holy crap Bickell has been pretty damn good so far in these playoffs.

He reminds me of a better and more skilled version of McLeod. Definitely would take him, Dupuis, and a defenseman this offseason. Only thing due to the cap going down, it will be two out of the three at most.

Last edited:

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
Just saw the Duchene/Phaneuf thread....

That had some seriously exciting potential. My favorite part of it was the 1 guy saying Duchene wasn't even a 1st liner yet, then going on to call Phaneuf a legit Top pairing guy and he might have even said Phaneuf was a #1.

Anyways, back to reality. Was kind of thinking today that right now we have 2 big holes that need filling in order for us to really start looking at playoffs seriously. We need a Top line Winger for Duchene and PAP, and a Top Dman for EJ.

One of those 2 whole will likely be filled through the draft via either Drouin/Mack for the top line Duties. Or Via Jones for top pairing duties.

The question is, can we legitimately fill the 2nd whole this summer, rather then have to wait for the next draft or some other route.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing us start to dangle our 2014 1st rounder out to some of the rebuilding/retooling teams to at least gauge its value to them.

CGY, BUF, DAL, NSH, NJD, SJS, and even VAN all might have interest in a 1st next year.

And from those teams Giordano, Myers, Josi, Larsson, Pavelksi, Marleau, Edler are all guys that would fit the bill of things we need.

Its obviously a pretty sizeable risk to move our 2014 1st after the year we just had. But if we can fill both of our biggest wholes this summer, I think we would have a real strong shot at playoffs next year anyway. At worst our 2014 1st IMO would be in the 10-12 range.

Roy seems like he might be an aggressive guy who will want to turn around the team ASAP into a playoff caliber team, I could really see him trading that pick before next years draft.

Could always pursue someone like Tanguay for Duchene's wing if the UFA options don't pan out. But realistically they should nab a piece or two in free agency. We now have Joe Sakic front and center and Patrick Roy right next to him with a young core that could be very very good. Not sure I would dangle a 2014 pick unless you are getting a stud player back. Which is very unlikely unless its an older player or overpaid one.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Honestly, I'd want either Jones or Nichuskin to be honest. Parenteau is the primary play-maker on that line. That line needs a smart power forward that can keep up with those two and put the puck in the net.

Did you see the video of Nichuskin at the draft combine? Holy crap is that kid a beast. He'd be a perfect fit for the team, speed, size and smarts.

Nothing wrong with Drouin but I'd like to continue to get bigger and stronger as a team to compete in the West.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Of those who'll be RFAs at the end of next year, I see this:

O'Reilly - who knows
Duchene - Sign him up cheap and long term, he'll want to be here and we'll want to do it, probably 6-ish million at max term, probably this summer
Landeskog - I think everyone would want to wait until next summer and then he'd get a bridge deal
McGinn - Next summer, something around 2mil (hopefully, as in his play this season warrants it)
Olver - I hope he's able to stick on the big team by then
Barrie/Elliott - Hunwick and Zanon will be gone by this point, they should be full time on the Avs by then unless one is traded, something a bit longer than a bridge deal here maybe.
Varlamov - Like Landeskog, both sides would want to wait until next year I think. Hopefully he's due a big raise.

I agree on the trying to get as many signed as soon as possible. Duchene's the big one, and should presumably be the easiest too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd still like to see what Duchene can do next year before signing him long term. If he gets out to a good start and is still producing consistently with PAP like he was last year, give him the long term deal around the halfway point.

I think you can get him to come down a little from his market value based on him seemingly not putting a priority on money, and also by giving him a full no move clause. The fact he would no he's almost guaranteed to play for his childhood team for that long would be huge for him I'd guess.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
I'd still like to see what Duchene can do next year before signing him long term. If he gets out to a good start and is still producing consistently with PAP like he was last year, give him the long term deal around the halfway point.

I think you can get him to come down a little from his market value based on him seemingly not putting a priority on money, and also by giving him a full no move clause. The fact he would no he's almost guaranteed to play for his childhood team for that long would be huge for him I'd guess.

I disagree on Duchene. You give him a long-term deal at market. Sends the message to pending RFAs that bridge deals do get rewarded. Tells the fans that Kroenke isn't as cheap as advertised and he will pay market. If the Avs wait and see on Duchene and then try to get a home town discount then they are doing it wrong.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly, I'd want either Jones or Nichuskin to be honest. Parenteau is the primary play-maker on that line. That line needs a smart power forward that can keep up with those two and put the puck in the net.

Did you see the video of Nichuskin at the draft combine? Holy crap is that kid a beast. He'd be a perfect fit for the team, speed, size and smarts.

Nothing wrong with Drouin but I'd like to continue to get bigger and stronger as a team to compete in the West.

I would have no complaints with Nichushkin or Barkov either.

Though if we decide one of those 2 guys are who we want, I would hoe we move down to at least the #3 or 4 spot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I disagree on Duchene. You give him a long-term deal at market. Sends the message to pending RFAs that bridge deals do get rewarded. Tells the fans that Kroenke isn't as cheap as advertised and he will pay market. If the Avs wait and see on Duchene and then try to get a home town discount then they are doing it wrong.

I disagree on the importance of this. Maybe under a non cap system this would be a good approach, but not the one it's in now.

I think the fans would be thrilled with seeing Duchene at around $5-6 M rather than $6-7M after another good season. Fans don't get upset by signing guys for cheap, they get upset when they let players go because they got cheap.

The team being successful again will be what draws UFA's, so that's not a help, and as for RFA's, you shouldn't have to prove to them that bridge deals get rewarded. That's the standard model, and only a couple players recently have been breaking that model.

Trying to get Duchene long term at a good price, is much better for the organization than willingly paying him market value, so that future RFA's and UFA's can see $$$ signs in their future with the Avs.

If this were another player I think you'd be right that my idea wouldn't be a good approach, but Duchene seems to value staying with this organization over money. They don't have to completely take advantage of him in this regard, but can still lean on it a little, and then give him a full no trade clause. I'm sure he would value this much more than money to all but assure him he'll be playing for his boyhood team for a long time.

Last edited:

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
if dont dont draft mack or jones and end up trading down, I want the pick to be absolutely nichuskin; the kid seems so driven to succeed at the nhl level and would be an amazing addition to the avs; a true gamebreaker. Plus it would give varly a russian connection; could help him out.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

naw, you give him Benn type money and extension. saves money in the future and cap space. he'll easily get 7 or more if he gets closer to FA. i'd rather the team give him 5-6 now rather than more later.
the real question is ROR's next deal. does he end up making more than Duchene again? i just can't see it, but his agent isn't likely to allow them to pay him significantly less than the QO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad