Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Caps aren't trading Mike Green for a pending UFA Stastny. They may make a big move with Green involved, but it will be for a long term fix, that can be a impact player for them somehow.

The only way Stastny nets a big return is if he's part of a decent package with a 1st, and someone like Barrie or Elliott. Otherwise the best return he'll get is at the deadline as a rental for picks and prospects/young players.

If they trade him in another type of situation, he'll very likely get a meager return. There's just no reason for a team to be that interested in him given his salary, lack of production, and pending UFA status. They'd only have their interest peaked if there were other pieces that were intriguing, or as a rental for the playoffs where they didn't have to give up any good NHL talent off their roster.

Last edited:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The Caps aren't trading Mike Green for a pending UFA Stastny. They may make a big move with Green involved, but it will be for a long term fix, that can be a impact player for them somehow.

The only way Stastny nets a big return is if he's part of a decent package with a 1st, and someone like Barrie or Elliott. Otherwise the best return he'll get is at the deadline as a rental for picks and prospects/young players.

If they trade him in another type of situation, he'll very likely get a meager return. There's just no reason for a team to be that interested in him given his salary, lack of production, and pending UFA status. They'd only have their interest peaked if there were other pieces that were intriguing, or as a rental for the playoffs where they didn't have to give up any good NHL talent off their roster.

we all know this but did you really have to piss in our cornflakes? :cry:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Thats why trading Stastny does not make sense right now. Unless someone wants to overpay of course.
His value will only go up from here (unless he gets injured but thats the usual risk with every player..). At the deadline his contract will be a nonfactor and even if he still does not produce under another coach we should get the usual late 1st + bust prospect which looked decent at first.

And I am fine with it if we can not extend him.
In no way shape or form do I want to trade Elliott or Barrie and certainly not a future 1st. We have Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota in our division. Those teams are flat out better than we are.
Nashville and the Jets are on the same level probably but more experienced. Can't count out Dallas under Nill either.
Odds are that we are not making the playoffs next year. Not even if we get a good coach and improve.

So no 1st+ Barrie for Yandle ;)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Thats why trading Stastny does not make sense right now. Unless someone wants to overpay of course.
His value will only go up from here (unless he gets injured but thats the usual risk with every player..). At the deadline his contract will be a nonfactor and even if he still does not produce under another coach we should get the usual late 1st + bust prospect which looked decent at first.

And I am fine with it if we can not extend him.
In no way shape or form do I want to trade Elliott or Barrie and certainly not a future 1st. We have Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota in our division. Those teams are flat out better than we are.
Nashville and the Jets are on the same level probably but more experienced. Can't count out Dallas under Nill either.
Odds are that we are not making the playoffs next year. Not even if we get a good coach and improve.

So no 1st+ Barrie for Yandle ;)

I don't think Minny can be considered clear cut better then us. And we have had STL's number over the last couple of years for whatever reason.

A new coach, + Seth Jones + Rejuvenated Stas/EJ and IMO we can easily compete with Minny for a playoff spot.

NSH is a clear cut below us, they're going into a bit of a rebuild right now and really there offense isn't very good.

IMO for next year we should be ahead of NSH for sure. Then we'll be fighting WPG, DAL, and MIN for the 3,4,5, and 6 seed.

2 of those teams make playoffs.

All we have to do is beat NSH, WPG, and DAL and were in. I think we can do that.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't think Minny can be considered clear cut better then us. And we have had STL's number over the last couple of years for whatever reason.

A new coach, + Seth Jones + Rejuvenated Stas/EJ and IMO we can easily compete with Minny for a playoff spot.

NSH is a clear cut below us, they're going into a bit of a rebuild right now and really there offense isn't very good.

IMO for next year we should be ahead of NSH for sure. Then we'll be fighting WPG, DAL, and MIN for the 3,4,5, and 6 seed.

2 of those teams make playoffs.

All we have to do is beat NSH, WPG, and DAL and were in. I think we can do that.

Sorry but I just don't see it.
We are simply not that good of a team. Our D while talented is still way too young to do anything. We still don't have a (proven) perenial 30-40 goal scorer and our goaltending was questionable at the end of the year.

Everyone expecting a surefire playoff team the minute a solid coach will come in, is probably going to be disappointed...

We are not that good. Our core is still way too young to
compete with CHI, STL or MIN.
Minny underachieved IMO. With Suter, Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Backstrom they have a core in their prime. Suter is a perenial Norris contender, Koivu is a decent #1 C and Backstrom is a decent goalie. They are only going to get better with Brodin, Coyle and Granlund developing.

We may play STL well head-to-head but it does not really matter IMO. It is not like we play them 82 times. They are a better team under Hitchcock than we are. And their core guys are not that much older than ours.

Same goes for Chicago. The Hawks are obviously better than we are.

Nashville is close. Weber is way ahead of any of our D and so is their whole D core (Josi, Blum, etc are ahead of Barrie, Elliott when it comes to their development). Rinne is probably a Top5 goalie in the league. Trotz is a defensive wizard.
Their only questionmark is on offense. They added Forsberg, will add Barkov, Wilson looks solid and Hornqvist is a decent Top6 forward. Add Fisher and maybe a solid UFA signing (they got plenty of capspace) and I will take them over the Avs next year easily.

The Jets are not chopped liver either.
Kane, Bogosian, Pavelec, Enstrom, Buff, Ladd,Wheeler, Little, maybe Trouba......

To be honest with you. Regardless of our next coach I feel that we have the second weakest roster on paper in this division (next year).
So we probably should not expect miracles next season.
I hope sure as hell that they will improve significantly but this division is going to be tough....

EDIT: I am not saying that they can't or won't compete for it. But assuming that they certainly will is a major stretch IMO.
Us making the playoffs is as likely as finishing last in our division...

Last edited:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Sorry but I just don't see it.
We are simply not that good of a team. Our D while talented is still way too young to do anything. We still don't have a (proven) perenial 30-40 goal scorer and our goaltending was questionable at the end of the year.

Everyone expecting a surefire playoff team the minute a solid coach will come in, is probably going to be disappointed...

We are not that good. Our core is still way too young to
compete with CHI, STL or MIN.
Minny underachieved IMO. With Suter, Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Backstrom they have a core in their prime. Suter is a perenial Norris contender, Koivu is a decent #1 C and Backstrom is a decent goalie. They are only going to get better with Brodin, Coyle and Granlund developing.

We may play STL well head-to-head but it does not really matter IMO. It is not like we play them 82 times. They are a better team under Hitchcock than we are. And their core guys are not that much older than ours.

Same goes for Chicago. The Hawks are obviously better than we are.

Nashville is close. Weber is way ahead of any of our D and so is their whole D core (Josi, Blum, etc are ahead of Barrie, Elliott when it comes to their development). Rinne is probably a Top5 goalie in the league. Trotz is a defensive wizard.
Their only questionmark is on offense. They added Forsberg, will add Barkov, Wilson looks solid and Hornqvist is a decent Top6 forward. Add Fisher and maybe a solid UFA signing (they got plenty of capspace) and I will take them over the Avs next year easily.

The Jets are not chopped liver either.
Kane, Bogosian, Pavelec, Enstrom, Buff, Ladd,Wheeler, Little, maybe Trouba......

To be honest with you. Regardless of our next coach I feel that we have the second weakest roster on paper in this division (next year).
So we probably should not expect miracles next season.
I hope sure as hell that they will improve significantly but this division is going to be tough....

EDIT: I am not saying that they can't or won't compete for it. But assuming that they certainly will is a major stretch IMO.
Us making the playoffs is as likely as finishing last in our division...

I think it's important to note that last seasons Av's were not playing anywhere near their potential. We got a view of that after Giguere called them out.

In order for the Avs to make the playoffs they need to fix their defense. The Avs may have taken a big step forward with a new coach, but it all depends on who that coach is. They also need to bring in better players. Jones would be a huge step forward, but he is a rookie and won't likely have an impact until his second or third season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Here is how I see our new division ATM:

Chicago - Clear cut favorite
St Louis - Very solid all around team, I think they pick up a good goalie this summer
Minnesota - Tenative #3, more on that in a bit
Winnipeg - Solid young core, need a #1C to really compete
Colorado - Excellent core, not enough surrounding pieces, still too young.. more of a 4a/4b situation
Nashville - Bottom falls out on the division here, little to no real offense, defense isn't nearly as deep without Suter
Dallas - not of fan of their roster, will take a couple years for their new GM to build something

In this division we will see the cap create more parity.

Minnesota already has ~56m tied up in 17 players for next year, so they need to sign or call up ~5 players. Of those players you have to re-sign or replace Backstrom which will take 4-5m off the top. Leaving about 3.5-4.5m to sign 4 more players including Clutterbuck and Cullen or his replacement. I could very easily see those two taking the rest. So what breaks? Heatley does because of his 7.5m cap hit. The problem with this is that it further kills Minnesota's scoring depth. They will end up having 1 1st line, and 3 3rd lines (Seto is their only other top 6 player IMO) which isn't good enough to really compete.

Chicago has a really well set up roster so the cap crunch really won't hit them too hard. They may have to drop a player like Frolik, but that won't hurt them.

Winnipeg's cap situation will be interesting. A great number of their top players are going to get big raises this year. Little should get between 4-5m. Wheeler should be between 5-6. Bogosian should be around 3.5. Burmi hasn't really earned more than 1.5, but the Russian factor might increase his salary. This goes along with a fairly weak forward group so they either have to spend money to fix that, or risk missing the playoffs again. The have enough room, but the question will be is there enough cap space for a upgrade on the 2nd and 3rd lines.

St Louis has an internal cap (probably not crossing 58-60m) where they have to re-sign Berglund, Stewart, Shattenkirk, and Pietrangelo. Those 4 alone should be ~18 million which puts them at 59m with Cole, Russell,and MacDonald (if they want to re-sign him) left to sign. They have enough cap room, but the internal budget is the question there.

The other teams in the division shouldn't have any cap problems.

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
Prediction:

Avs trade Wilson at the draft for a youngish forward with some upside(like Jamie McGinn) and go into next season with some combination of that player, Duchene, PaP, Landeskog, O'Rielly, Downie, McGinn, Stastny, and Jones as the top 9 forwards.

Then role with a d core of:

Barrie-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Hunwick-Zanon
O'Brien

with Siemens-Elliott playing top minutes in LE and then replace Hunwick-Zanon as the 3rd pairing in 2014-2015 when the Hunwick/Zanon contracts expire.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Prediction:

Avs trade Wilson at the draft for a youngish forward with some upside(like Jamie McGinn) and go into next season with some combination of that player, Duchene, PaP, Landeskog, O'Rielly, Downie, McGinn, Stastny, and Jones as the top 9 forwards.

Then role with a d core of:

Barrie-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Hunwick-Zanon
O'Brien

with Siemens-Elliott playing top minutes in LE and then replace Hunwick-Zanon as the 3rd pairing in 2014-2015 when the Hunwick/Zanon contracts expire.

I could see the Wilson part happening.

The question would be who is the forward that we potentially aquire?

Just a couple names that IMO have similar value to Wilson would be Ryan Jones(EDM), Luke Adam(BUF), Matt Frattin(TOR), Ryan Reaves(STL)

Its actually quite hard to find someone similar to Wilson value wise as a forward.

The only one that I listed that I really think could be of almost identical value is Ryan Jones.

Wilson for Jones swap could make sense for both sides, and were no longer within the division anymore.

I would do it simply for the fact that we might not need or have a spot for Wilson next year.

EDIT: Plus I would do it because the though of having other commentators having to deal with a David Jones, Ryan Jones, and Seth Jones would be comedy gold.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
If Green was a left shot I would be for it. As it sits the Avs have EJ, Barrie, Elliott, and possibly Jones as right shots on defense.

It would be fking stupid if they offered us green and we don't take it. He led all defensemen in goals this year even after his atrocious start, and is likely still top 3 in terms of offense in this league. He'd literally make our pp top ten in the league, and BOTH barrie and elliott would be expendable.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I could see the Wilson part happening.

The question would be who is the forward that we potentially aquire?

Just a couple names that IMO have similar value to Wilson would be Ryan Jones(EDM), Luke Adam(BUF), Matt Frattin(TOR), Ryan Reaves(STL)

Its actually quite hard to find someone similar to Wilson value wise as a forward.

The only one that I listed that I really think could be of almost identical value is Ryan Jones.

Wilson for Jones swap could make sense for both sides, and were no longer within the division anymore.

I would do it simply for the fact that we might not need or have a spot for Wilson next year.

EDIT: Plus I would do it because the though of having other commentators having to deal with a David Jones, Ryan Jones, and Seth Jones would be comedy gold.

If the return for Wilson is Ryan Jones, I'd rather keep Wilson. Luke Adam though would be more intriguing.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Wilson is good for about 20 games a season, it's time to cut our losses with him I think.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Wilson is good for about 20 games a season, it's time to cut our losses with him I think.

61, 67, 59 games played from 09-10 to 11-12.

And most injuries were concussions from dirty hits.

He will be fine, maybe not 82 games, but for 70+ if no-one hits him dirty.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

:laugh: Ridiculous statement aside, I still don't know that I would "cut losses with him" over two injury filled seasons (59 out of 82 in 11/12 and 12 out of 48 this season). David Jones went through a couple of seasons where he was made of glass as well (40 out of 82 in 08/09 and 23 out of 82 in 09/10.) I'd give Wilson one more season to see if he can prove to be durable...especially since year two of his injury streak happened during a lockout-shortened season.

member 116861

:laugh: Ridiculous statement aside, I still don't know that I would "cut losses with him" over two injury filled seasons (59 out of 82 in 11/12 and 12 out of 48 this season). David Jones went through a couple of seasons where he was made of glass as well (40 out of 82 in 08/09 and 23 out of 82 in 09/10.) I'd give Wilson one more season to see if he can prove to be durable...especially since year two of his injury streak happened during a lockout-shortened season.

I don't think he is only talking about injuries, Wilson is wildly inconsistent in the limited games he does play.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not only all of that... Wilson also still has good value around the league. He could bring back a decent forward prospect for a team that needs to add some physicality to their middle or bottom pairings (I see him as a 4/5). I'd be okay if he is the one to go. I'd rather it be SOB and Zanon first, but I'm not sure there will be many takers for either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad