Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Huis Clos said:
If Stastny is traded the return better be damn good. If it isn't it won't be long before most here are bemoaning the trade as the "latest one to get away".

It'll just be another thing for Dater to cry about and beat into the ground. Unless of course it turns out like Quincey, Wolski, Arnason, Raycroft, Budaj, Colby Cohen, Nigel Williams, etc.

Here's his latest gem of a response to some guy who basically asked him why he was crying over spilled milk by bringing up Anderson all the time.

"because tons of people said I was wrong about Anderson. But I was right"

That's our writer. Can you imagine any respectable journalist saying something like that?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
It'll just be another thing for Dater to cry about and beat into the ground. Unless of course it turns out like Quincey, Wolski, Arnason, Raycroft, Budaj, Colby Cohen, Nigel Williams, etc.

Here's his latest gem of a response to some guy who basically asked him why he was crying over spilled milk by bringing up Anderson all the time.

That's our writer. Can you imagine any respectable journalist saying something like that?

Did he follow that with "Nanny nanny boo boo"?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

As the old saying goes... "A broken clock is right twice a day."

Dater is a hack. He simply regurgitates information that other people put out there. I don't think the organization is as secretive as Dater says (no doubt they are secretive, just not to the extent that he complains about), I think they just don't like Dater very much.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As the old saying goes... "A broken clock is right twice a day."

Dater is a hack. He simply regurgitates information that other people put out there. I don't think the organization is as secretive as Dater says (no doubt they are secretive, just not to the extent that he complains about), I think they just don't like Dater very much.

I think they're fairly secretive, but I also think that a better journalist could get more info if they covered them full time. When there were two papers in town, and the Post had more writers covering the team regularly like Frei, there was way way more info, and relevant stories. Now it's basically nothing, and the Post has to create the news by exaggerating or over hyping things based on assumptions, rather than doing some digging for actual truths or interesting stories and reporting the news.

I think you're right though about not liking him very much. They release most all their info on their website rather than press releases. Dater got irked last week that they did this with Sacco getting let go.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe if he weren't bad at his job the Avs would use him to break stories.

I hope we don't trade Staz. If we draft Seth we won't have that big need for another first pairing dman, and we won't get much back for him. Especially given how much more dangerous this team is when they have 3 really good centers to roll, even when they don't have enough wingers for all of them. Staz is a huge help to Dutchy and Radar, and one of our only genuinely experienced players. I'd be very excited to see a capable coach starting next season with

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
Sgarbossa/Olver - Stastny - Jones
Bordeleau - Malone - McCleod

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
O'Brien - Seth

And Siemens - Elliott playing 25+ a night for lake erie.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think they're fairly secretive, but I also think that a better journalist could get more info if they covered them full time. When there were two papers in town, and the Post had more writers covering the team regularly like Frei, there was way way more info, and relevant stories.

Eurolanche gets more info out of them from 5000 miles away, so I would say that a better local journalist would be able to get more out of them.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Eurolanche gets more info out of them from 5000 miles away, so I would say that a better local journalist would be able to get more out of them.

Yeah, I don't think he's well liked by the team. A journalist has to be fair and will have to write things that are unflattering at times because they still have to cover a team when they are struggling and have to ask some hard questions but I think where Dater gets it wrong is that he simply doesn't understand the difference between being tough/fair and being a jackass.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
Sgarbossa/Olver - Stastny - Jones
Bordeleau - Malone - McCleod

Did John Mitchell get traded? :D

Not a big fan, but as a winger on the bottom 6 he is more than serviceable.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Did John Mitchell get traded? :D

Not a big fan, but as a winger on the bottom 6 he is more than serviceable.

My issue with Mitchell is that he doesn't really fit alongside skilled players because of how he forgets he can pass. I feel like to be really effective Mitchell needs to be playing next two guys who'll focus on getting the puck back and being physical, so Mitchell can skate around until he finds a shooting lane all he wants. That doesn't work to well when trying to roll 3 quality Cs so there's some wishful thinking that Sgar or Olver can beat him out for the "3rd line LW" spot.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
My issue with Mitchell is that he doesn't really fit alongside skilled players because of how he forgets he can pass. I feel like to be really effective Mitchell needs to be playing next two guys who'll focus on getting the puck back and being physical, so Mitchell can skate around until he finds a shooting lane all he wants. That doesn't work to well when trying to roll 3 quality Cs so there's some wishful thinking that Sgar or Olver can beat him out for the "3rd line LW" spot.

I hear what you're saying, but he still has some useful traits. Mark Olver, on the other hand, is about as useless of a player as we have on the roster. Trolling aside, he brings nothing to the game. Fairly big difference between what Sgar *could* provide and what we know Olver does provide(little to nothing).

Anyways, I'm not a Johnny Malkin fan, but as a third line LW, I'm fine with it. Dump him at the trade deadline next year to a playoff team since he'll be an expiring contract. We won't be in playoff contention anyhow.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I wonder if the Avs could get Niederreiter out of NYI. Maybe base something around Elliott? Would love to get a highly skilled winger as its definitely lacking in the system.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I wonder if the Avs could get Niederreiter out of NYI. Maybe base something around Elliott? Would love to get a highly skilled winger as its definitely lacking in the system.

Still too early to trade Elliott, IMO. He's just starting to make appearances in the Bigs -- let's let him develop a bit more, so we know what we have, before we trade him away.

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007

Not really the kind of trade the Avs would do unless they were for sure adding Seth. Even then the Avs would have to be really sold on NN as it wouldn't be looked as the Avs trading from a position of strength (like the Shattenkirk deal) but rather trading a young offensively gifted NHL D for a struggling/up&down NHL prospect. As much as I personally would enjoy having NN here I wouldn't offer Elliott.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I'm one of the few that would like to see them trade one of Barrie/Elliott if they draft Jones, but IMO it should be in a package for a more proven and older offensive LHD for EJ. The Avs need a D like that, and they don't have many valuable pieces to add to a package that are also expendable apart from those two.

They could use a talented winger too, but if they use Barrie/Elliott for him they won't be able to bring in that D as quickly. They could wait on the winger, but not the D IMO, even if they draft Jones.

I'd also rather they trade Barrie, because I think his trade value might be higher, while Elliott's ceiling might be higher, and I almost feel like he improved his defensive game more than Barrie this year, which I never really expected.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm one of the few that would like to see them trade one of Barrie/Elliott if they draft Jones, but IMO it should be in a package for a more proven and older offensive LHD for EJ. The Avs need a D like that, and they don't have many valuable pieces to add to a package that are also expendable apart from those two.

They could use a talented winger too, but if they use Barrie/Elliott for him they won't be able to bring in that D as quickly. They could wait on the winger, but not the D IMO, even if they draft Jones.

I'd also rather they trade Barrie, because I think his trade value might be higher, while Elliott's ceiling might be higher, and I almost feel like he improved his defensive game more than Barrie this year, which I never really expected.

I'll agree with this, BUT but... At the earliest it should be done at the deadline next year or in the next off-season. It gives us more of a chance to evaluate them (And see what we have in Jones) and if they are both on pace for 40 points, their value will rise exponentially.

Look at how much value MDZ has? He would of been the main piece coming back from NY in the O'Reilly trade.

NY still needs a right handed offensive defender, so it could actually be a pretty good swap sometime next season to do one of Barrie/Elliott for MDZ without having to add much if anything at all. I don't like MDZ as much as Yandle personally, but him and EJ might make a dynamite pairing, especially if EJ is going to stay a more defensive oriented two-way 20-30 point defender.

Or like you say, we can use one to bring in that winger we're missing. Philly, NY, and Tampa come to mind as teams that really need defense the most, and all of them have strong forward depth.

Also, who knows who we'll draft in the second round. If it's a guy like Hagg or Theodore, we definitely go for that winger.

Barrie (On pace for 40 points) + 2014 1st + Sgarbossa for Voracek? Or something around Barrie and Simmonds? I bet they'd love to get their hands on a good replacement for Timonen. However that only works if Barrie is showing growth over a good part of next season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll agree with this, BUT but... At the earliest it should be done at the deadline next year or in the next off-season. It gives us more of a chance to evaluate them (And see what we have in Jones) and if they are both on pace for 40 points, their value will rise exponentially.

Look at how much value MDZ has? He would of been the main piece coming back from NY in the O'Reilly trade.

NY still needs a right handed offensive defender, so it could actually be a pretty good swap sometime next season to do one of Barrie/Elliott for MDZ without having to add much if anything at all. I don't like MDZ as much as Yandle personally, but him and EJ might make a dynamite pairing, especially if EJ is going to stay a more defensive oriented two-way 20-30 point defender.

Or like you say, we can use one to bring in that winger we're missing. Philly, NY, and Tampa come to mind as teams that really need defense the most, and all of them have strong forward depth.

Also, who knows who we'll draft in the second round. If it's a guy like Hagg or Theodore, we definitely go for that winger.

See I feel like the ideal time would be this offseason, or the draft for that LHD. That's when you tend to see the trades for the more established, non rental players. That's who the Avs need.

Even if they end up trading the better of the two between Elliott and Barrie, I personally feel their ultimate role will be behind that of EJ, Jones, and the traded for D (Yandle for example) so it's not as huge a loss in the grand scheme of things.

I think Barrie and Elliott are showing signs of developing into good offensive defenseman, but at this point thier lack of consistant production (even at a young age) and average to sub average defensive game kind of lends to them not being hugely impacctfull defenseman on a team, the way a top pairing two way, or even highly productive offensive defenseman would be. To me their potential role will be what a good second pairing offensive defenseman could be, and that's somewhat replaceable in many ways, let alone with EJ, Jones, and the traded for LHD. Jones basically takes over as the second pairing offensive D, while leaving Elliott/Barrie in the more selective assignments.

If they do get to that level, which they certainly have a chance to as more of an offensive defenseman, rather than a two way guy, I think the consistency is a ways off. If that's the high end of expectations, it makes more sense IMO to trade one for a guy who is that now. Then you alleviate the need for that guy now, and the guessing game for whether that's coming in the future.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
See I feel like the ideal time would be this offseason. That's when you tend to see the trades for the more established, non rental players. That's who the Avs need.

Even if they end up trading the better of the two between Elliott and Barrie, I personally feel their ultimate role will be behind that of EJ, Jones, and the traded for D (Yandle for example) so it's not as huge a loss in the grand scheme of things.

I think Barrie and Elliott are showing signs of developing into good offensive defenseman, but at this point thier lack of consistant production (even at a young age) and average to sub average defensive game kind of lends to them not being hugely impacctfull defenseman on a team, the way a top pairing two way, or even highly productive offensive defenseman would be. To me their potential role will be what a good second pairing offensive defenseman could be, and that's somewhat replaceable in many ways, let alone with EJ, Jones, and the traded for LHD. Jones basically takes over as the second pairing offensive D., while leaving Elliott.Barrie in the more selective assignments.

If they do get to that level, which they certainly have a chance to as more of an offensive defenseman, rather than a two way guy, I think the consistency is a ways off. If that's the high end of expectations, it makes more sense IMO to trade one for a guy who is that now, and then you alleviate the need for that guy now, and the guessing game for whether that's coming in the future.

Trading either one of them right now is selling low IMO, I think both Barrie and Elliott have the potential to be just as good as Kirk, however neither of them have the value that Kirk does at this point.

Big mistake right now IMO, we'd have to seriously add to either of them in order to bring in the quality of player we're talking about. Be it a winger or a left handed offensive defender.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Trading either one of them right now is selling low IMO, I think both Barrie and Elliott have the potential to be just as good as Kirk, however neither of them have the value that Kirk does at this point.

Big mistake right now IMO, we'd have to seriously add to either of them in order to bring in the quality of player we're talking about. Be it a winger or a left handed offensive defender.

The way I view it is, even if they have the same potential as Shattenkrik (which I have never seen the same general on ice IQ that Kirk showed even before he established himself) the Avs have a luxury if they draft Jones.

They can afford to give up that kind of player, even if they develop into another Shattenkirk, because then they'll have Jones, and the traded for D, to go along with EJ and the leftover between Elliott/Barrie.

There's just not a whole lot of need to keep all that many offensive guys, when Jones has his own potential, and they have a desperate need for that Yandle type LHD to play with EJ.

The idea is to develop the top four into something special, not force pieces to their off side and hope they all develop as hoped, or not be pro active and water things down too much in terms of the group of six. It's time to set hope aside, and make things happen at this point of the rebuild IMO.

This is where I tend to feel I separate from the general mentality on this board.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Doesn't make sense from our side, or from the Islanders side. The Isles are deep in defensive prospects, plus Niederreiter is coming off a great AHL season so there's no rush to trade him.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I really hope they can find a good partner for EJ just so we can talking about it, what its been...well since he got here right?
Who is he playing with at the Worlds?

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Stastny - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reily - Downie
McGinn - Mitchell - Jones (bounce back year, if not then palushaj)
Bordeleau - Olver - McCleod

I'm done with Stas as a center, just have him take draws on the powerplay and PK, but 5 on 5 I want him as a winger now. Load up the top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad