Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Clearly the best fit for Duchene would be Drouin. Clearly.

In all honesty, if Tampa would give up pick #3 and Hedman (which they prob would not) for pick #1, I would be ok with drafting Drouin. Our next biggest need after a top D man is a playmaking winger. If you look at all our wingers, they are scorers (PAP, Jones, Mcginn,Landeskog) or else grinder/utility men (Downie, McLeod, Bordy, Kobasew). Not one of those wingers besides PAP is a great let alone good set up man. Drouin would fill that need big time. Then your looking at something like this...

Drouin Duchene Parenteau
Landeskog Oreilly Downie
Mcginn Stastny Jones

Hedman Johnson
Barrie Hejda
Elliot Obrien/Hunwick/Siemens

Not too shabby. Give Stastny and Jones a few months to see how they perform under Roy's new system and if they still don't produce then start looking into trades. I feel they bounce back next year though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
In all honesty, if Tampa would give up pick #3 and Hedman (which they prob would not) for pick #1, I would be ok with drafting Drouin. Our next biggest need after a top D man is a playmaking winger. If you look at all our wingers, they are scorers (PAP, Jones, Mcginn,Landeskog) or else grinder/utility men (Downie, McLeod, Bordy, Kobasew). Not one of those wingers besides PAP is a great let alone good set up man. Drouin would fill that need big time. Then your looking at something like this...

Drouin Duchene Parenteau
Landeskog Oreilly Downie
Mcginn Stastny Jones

Hedman Johnson
Barrie Hejda
Elliot Obrien/Hunwick/Siemens

Not too shabby. Give Stastny and Jones a few months to see how they perform under Roy's new system and if they still don't produce then start looking into trades. I feel they bounce back next year though.

Too much NHL13

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
#3 and Hedman for our #1? We're smoking some damn good stuff to kick off the summer.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
#3 and Hedman for our #1? We're smoking some damn good stuff to kick off the summer.

Lol! The thought of Stamkos and Mackinnon one two punch at C would have to intrigue Yzerman at least a little.. If we threw in one of our up and coming D men you never know. But that puts them with no top 2 man. Kinda like what we went through this year. EJ was a close to a number 2. Hope he progresses

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Speaking of KHL, are we gonna be making any FA signings from there? Quite a few teams are stepping in and taking advantage of it and signing some good depth players. The Leafs benefited largely from Komarov and he was just a bottom 6 guy. The Habs have done well signing Emelin. These guys were both their draft picks from a long long time ago but you get my point.

I find it hard to believe that there is no dman in Sweden or Finland or the KHL who isn't significantly better than a few of our bottom end guys.

that radulov guy in the khl isn't too shabby i hear

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Lol! The thought of Stamkos and Mackinnon one two punch at C would have to intrigue Yzerman at least a little.. If we threw in one of our up and coming D men you never know. But that puts them with no top 2 man. Kinda like what we went through this year. EJ was a close to a number 2. Hope he progresses

that makes no sense for Tampa to do. they can just wait and get MacKinnon or Drouin while keeping Hedman.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Speaking of KHL, are we gonna be making any FA signings from there? Quite a few teams are stepping in and taking advantage of it and signing some good depth players. The Leafs benefited largely from Komarov and he was just a bottom 6 guy. The Habs have done well signing Emelin. These guys were both their draft picks from a long long time ago but you get my point.

I find it hard to believe that there is no dman in Sweden or Finland or the KHL who isn't significantly better than a few of our bottom end guys.

The Avs have tried to go the Euro free-agent route in the recent past (Hlinka, Ledin, Lindstrom and Pock come to mind). No success, but it seems like they aren't afraid to try.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
There is 0% chance we get 3 and Hedman for 1. We'd have to give up at least a decent prospect or two or three.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Right? I'd trade #1, our 2014 first round pick, one of Barriott and one of Pickard/Aitto/Patterson for Hedman and #3 if they had any interest, but they wouldn't.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The difference between #3 and #1 would probably be a late first round pick or an early second round pick, not Hedman.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
none of those trades makes sense for Tampa. no trade involving Hedman makes sense for Tampa. he's too valuable to use as a lynch pin to move up 2 spots.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Stop with the Hedman crap guys...

They picked that dude over Duchene. And he has not disappointed so far. They probably would pick him over Duchene again ( more to positional value but it is close enough to not make them look silly)

So. If TBL would have won the lottery and we were sitting at #3.
Would you be happy with giving up Duchene + #3 for #1?

Yeah. Did not think so...
Stop the madness. You can pile up "secondary" assets like 1st in 2014, one of Elliott/ Barrie , Boss, one of our goalies, 20 2nds and loads of other "junk" (in the context of trading Hedman).
Still does not make you any better than Leafs fans.

TBL will at best give up a former 1st (prospect) or their 2nd to move up. Everything else would be foolish.

You might be able to get Hedman straight up for #1. But no Drouin added...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
You might be able to get Hedman straight up for #1. But no Drouin added...

Would not be upset at all if Hedman for #1 was base of the deal. Perhaps Avs offer a cap relief deal to "sweeten" the offer

Hedman
Malone/Purcell

for

1st overall
McLeod/Olver/Obrien/Hunwick (even 2 of these would suit me)

I think Hedman is ready to be the top flight player he was projected to be.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
Do we need one of the big 3? YES

I heard that Tampa has a thing for the Russian guy. If this is true, it means that Drouin might go 4th.

Would you be interested in a trade that would turn around our 1rst and Nashville 1rst + Josi.

Josi has the potential to play on a first pairing and at worst, he would be an excellent 2nd pairing dman.

Born Jun 1 1990 -- Bern, Switzerland
[23 yrs.old today]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 198 -- Shoots L (and we need a LD)

Drouin with PAP and Duch would be an amazing line.

Drouin with an happy Stastny would also be great.

---- by the way - I would love to add a guy like Colin Wilson in our team also ---

And if Drouin is not there at 4, we need to talk to the Jets, they have a potential
1rst pairing LD in Trouba.

I know, I might be dreaming but a guy like Roy is a guy that thinks a lot and in his head, he has 1000 scenarios at this moment.

Sherman days are over guys, we now have a guy that has hockey in his blood.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
One could argue that Roman Josi is a top pairing defenseman as of right now, there's no way we get him and the 4th overall for the 1st overall.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Seriously. With all of the complaining we all do about Leafs fans and lopsided Stastny proposals, we're sure doing a good job of mimicking them.

I look at it this way:

If the Avs move the #1 pick to a team a spot or three below them in the draft order, a reasonable expectation in return is one good (not franchise) roster player in return, along with that team's 1st round pick. That's it.

They're not likely to get any of several possibilities in that scenario:
1) a just-drafted player with every bit of upside (or more) as the #1 pick (like Hedman or Huberdeau).
2) any player that was just drafted highly in the last year or two by a still-crappy team (because what's the point? - they'd just be weakening their youth and beefing up their youth at the same time).
3) any player critical to next year's success on a team with true playoff aspirations (I'm not sure I see too many of those in the top 10 of the draft though).

So, we should probably just forget those.

Now, if the Avs are willing to move down a bunch of slots in the draft, that changes things. In that scenario, they could in fact reasonably get a couple of good roster players (or perhaps a good roster player and a good prospect), that team's 1st round pick, and unload a garbage salary in the process.

For example (totally random example here), if the Avs traded the 1st pick to, say, Winnipeg - then I think it's reasonable to ask for, perhaps, Bogosian and one of Winnipeg's good prospects (Scheifele? - don't know Winnipeg's prospect pool that well), Winnipeg's #13 pick, and Winnipeg takes on Zanon's or SOB's salary. I haven't really thought that through specifically and am just throwing that out there, but leaving specifics aside, my point is, only if the Avs really move down the draft board can they get a whopping return like that. IMO.

Last edited:

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Do we need one of the big 3? YES

I heard that Tampa has a thing for the Russian guy. If this is true, it means that Drouin might go 4th.

Would you be interested in a trade that would turn around our 1rst and Nashville 1rst + Josi.

Josi has the potential to play on a first pairing and at worst, he would be an excellent 2nd pairing dman.

Born Jun 1 1990 -- Bern, Switzerland
[23 yrs.old today]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 198 -- Shoots L (and we need a LD)

Drouin with PAP and Duch would be an amazing line.

Drouin with an happy Stastny would also be great.

---- by the way - I would love to add a guy like Colin Wilson in our team also ---

And if Drouin is not there at 4, we need to talk to the Jets, they have a potential
1rst pairing LD in Trouba.

I know, I might be dreaming but a guy like Roy is a guy that thinks a lot and in his head, he has 1000 scenarios at this moment.

Sherman days are over guys, we now have a guy that has hockey in his blood.

If we are trading with Nashville we should ask for Craig "better than any winger we have" Smith, and Phil "knows how to run a PP and can take the best out of EJ" Housley.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

We should sign Petri Kontiola, from Finland. The guy just led the World Championship in scoring and, as we learned, scoring at the WHC = scoring in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad