Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Can Stalberg effectively play LW? Otherwise there's no point on going after him with the intent on having him play with Duchene, since PAP is much better.

I still like Dupuis as the main target if the Pens ever let him walk. Ryder would be good too, he's a big vet that can put pucks in the net, could be a good fit on Staz's wing.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't get this fascination with Stalberg, he's not that good.

At 2.5-3 I suppose he could be a decent pickup. He's all speed though, not much else. People are just looking for a free agent to add though, so if Stalberg is the only one we add I could live with that. Rather dump cash on Jagr for a year and get rid of some trash on the backend.

But if we did add Stalberg, people would need to temper their expectations to something like 15/15 or 20/20 because he really isn't that offensively skilled.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
At 2.5-3 I suppose he could be a decent pickup. He's all speed though, not much else. People are just looking for a free agent to add though, so if Stalberg is the only one we add I could live with that. Rather dump cash on Jagr for a year and get rid of some trash on the backend.

But if we did add Stalberg, people would need to temper their expectations to something like 15/15 or 20/20 because he really isn't that offensively skilled.

He's a one trick pony and his hockey IQ isn't all that good, if he didn't play with Matt in SEL no one would want him on this team. Someone will overpay for him and I really hope it's not Colorado.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Stålberg has been better for Blackhawks than he previously was. A bit less of a hockey Pejorative Slur. But I don't know if that's their depth and smart forwards helping him look good.

He's not terrible defensively and has good speed and size so signing him would probably not be a total disaster but I'm not sure he's a guy I would want Avs to target in FA. I have a feeling this fan base would hate him when seeing him on a regular basis.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
If Sakic does take the job, I wonder what will happen with our 3 centers? I personally think one of them has to be moved. I would think it could smooth over the ROR situation assuming he isn't a moron during negotiations again. And Stastny played with Stastny when Stastny was at his best. Will be interesting.

IMO you are wasting one of those center by playing him on the 3rd line with ****** line mates. I think we would be better off moving one of them.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If Sakic does take the job, I wonder what will happen with our 3 centers? I personally think one of them has to be moved. I would think it could smooth over the ROR situation assuming he isn't a moron during negotiations again. And Stastny played with Stastny when Stastny was at his best. Will be interesting.

IMO you are wasting one of those center by playing him on the 3rd line with ****** line mates. I think we would be better off moving one of them.

The people is that all three are immensely better when in the lineup together because they cause defensive mismatches by the other teams. Add to that the fact they can all PK and all are good on the PP together.... seems irrational to move any and better to keep them together.

All you really need is one winger each. PAP with Duchy, Lando with ROR and ?? with Staz. He either needs a new Hejduk or a Pacioretty type. I don't care which, just someone that stays on his line he can develop chemistry with. Then we'll have three dangerous lines where guys like McGinn, Downie and Jones can be the complimentary players on.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
The people is that all three are immensely better when in the lineup together because they cause defensive mismatches by the other teams. Add to that the fact they can all PK and all are good on the PP together.... seems irrational to move any and better to keep them together.

All you really need is one winger each. PAP with Duchy, Lando with ROR and ?? with Staz. He either needs a new Hejduk or a Pacioretty type. I don't care which, just someone that stays on his line he can develop chemistry with. Then we'll have three dangerous lines where guys like McGinn, Downie and Jones can be the complimentary players on.

I don't really agree with this. I think a big issue with this team is that they don't have enough role players. So you have 9 guys that are out there to score, and 3 guys that play very low minutes that create havoc. Avs are too easy to play against because they have 3 scoring lines and our checking line barely plays. I think you are better off with 2 checking lines that can wear down the other team.

Just a difference in philosophy between us.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't really agree with this. I think a big issue with this team is that they don't have enough role players. So you have 9 guys that are out there to score, and 3 guys that play very low minutes that create havoc. Avs are too easy to play against because they have 3 scoring lines and our checking line barely plays. I think you are better off with 2 checking lines that can wear down the other team.

While there is some merit to this argument, I don't completely agree, and we're not easy to play against. We hold our own very well against teams like STL and LA. We can match them hit for hit...

Landeskog, McGinn, and Downie are players that bring some scoring and grit at the same time. While Duchene, O'Reilly, and Stastny can't exactly be considered soft either. Parenteau is also more than willing to hit and mix it up in the corners as well.

The last thing this team is, is soft. If anything is soft its our defense... That's one thing that needs to change, and I think once Siemens is ready we'll have a little better look back there when it comes to physicality.

Jones (In the future), EJ, and Hejda aren't exactly huge hitters, that's what Wilson, Zannon, O'Brien, and O'Byrne were suppose to do. However Zannon can't hit the broad side of a barn, O'Brien isn't in the lineup regularly, and O'Byrne for whatever reason decided to suck at everything. Obviously Wilson was injured as well.

Our forward group is fine when it comes to physicality. I'd like to see Horton added for Stastny's line, and then let Jones slide over to the left, and McGinn could go back with Duchene.

However I'm just trying to be realistic, as hoping they post up 5M for Horton is wishful thinking.

There is an argument for trading one of Stastny or O'Reilly, but it making our team soft by keeping all three I don't agree with, especially because so many of our forwards can do a bit of everything.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

no the problem with this team is that we have too many role players and not enough legit top guys. especially on D and at the wing.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
When you give up the blueline as easily as the Avs did last season you're easy to play against. Both our defensemen and forwards played bad transition defense and in general our forwards unit lacks defensively sound players outside of Radar (who missed a lot of the season), Landeskog (whose defense was subpar this season), Stastny and Duchene (who's up and down).

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
no the problem with this team is that we have too many role players and not enough legit top guys. especially on D and at the wing.

By role player I mean a bottom 6 guy that plays physical and cycles down low. Wears down the opposition. Wins face-offs. Can play the PK if needed. We have lots of Olver, PJ, Kabasew, Mitchell, Jones, Porter, type guys that are tweeners but not good enough at anything. We depend on our top guys to do everything. Landy, Duchene, ROR, Stastny all take the defensive draws, and play PK. I don't think it is a bad thing, but you shouldn't need to use them because the rest of your roster is useless. The losses of Winnik and McClement were glaring this season. We need to preplace those 2 guys. Malone may be coming in the future, but he is nothing more than a 4th liner at this point IMO.

So yeah, we have too many role players that can't play any roles. We should sign or trade for a few that you can actually trust on the ice.

I'm not even touching the defense. It is just a mess.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Would any of you guys have interest in picking up Hemskey this summer?

1 year left at a 5M cap hit. If he doesn't play well we simply let him walk next summer. If he plays well we can hopefully resign him for less, or potentially sell high on him at the trade deadline.

He has some skill, and could be a decent guy on Duchene's wing. The 5.0M cap hit is pretty big, but we should have between 8-10M in cap space next year with our current roster. We don't have any big RFA signings this summer either.

I would take him on for a 3rd rounder. Nothing more, but seems like it would be a low risk potentially high reward.

My first choice would still probably be Stalberg. But Hemskey is a decent option.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Would any of you guys have interest in picking up Hemskey this summer?

1 year left at a 5M cap hit. If he doesn't play well we simply let him walk next summer. If he plays well we can hopefully resign him for less, or potentially sell high on him at the trade deadline.

He has some skill, and could be a decent guy on Duchene's wing. The 5.0M cap hit is pretty big, but we should have between 8-10M in cap space next year with our current roster. We don't have any big RFA signings this summer either.

I would take him on for a 3rd rounder. Nothing more, but seems like it would be a low risk potentially high reward.

My first choice would still probably be Stalberg. But Hemskey is a decent option.

Nope. If we trade for a forward I would like to see the Avs try and get Tanguay back. He would bring in some leadership and would be a huge help on our 2nd PP unit.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Avs most certainly lack good defensively sound role players in their forwards unit. There's way too many one dimensional offensively minded players there.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Nah I think he's right. We have role players, but none of them are particularly good at playing there roles.

Watching the playoffs it becomes apparent just how important guys like Bickell, McClement, Rupp, Prust, Torres, Cooke, etc. are to a team.

You need to have guys that can go out, play a regular shift and really be big energizing guys that wear on the other teams Defense and hit everything that moves.

We do have McCleod, who will be an awesome role player for us when we finally make playoffs. But outside of McCleod, we don't have those type of guys. Bordeleau is a fighter and a hitter, but he's not someone who can be relied on to play a regular shift at this point(Maybe in a couple years though).

After that we had/have Pajamas, Kobasew, and Olver who are all just to soft or to small to be effective role playing guys.

We need to go out this summer and sign a good role player, we really did. Mitchell was a decent attempt last summer, but he isn't gritty enough IMO.

Boyd Gordon, Pascal Dupuis, Matt Cooke, and Ryan Jones are just a few guys that I think would really be solid additions to our bottom 6.

We should go out and sign one of those this summer IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO the only reason to get a center like Gordon would be if you trade Stastny and want to run a more traditional top 6/bottom 6. Which in that case requires a much better top 6 (LW for Duchene line, RW for ROR line). There isn't a lot of that talent available, and what is available will be expensive. Vanek in a trade, which would be expensive. Briere might be bought out, but over the hill. Dupuis probably won't be as good away from Pittsburgh. Clarkson would be great, but will be expensive (5.5-6.5m+) and I have a feeling be a bad contract in a year or two.

IMO the best way to have a decent forward group will be to keep Stastny, sign a winger like Stalberg and run 3 2nd lines.

Stalberg-Duchene-PAP (pretty close to a 1st line)
Landy-ROR-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Jones

If you can find a way to trade Stastny + (Elliott would probably be required, maybe more like Sgarbossa or a 2nd), sign Gordon and Clarkson, buyout Jones this could be run:

Vanek-Duchene-PAP
Landy-ROR-Clarkson
McGinn-Gordon-Downie

IMO that group won't really score more than the previous group and cost a lot more (assets and money).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
An Oilers fan just suggested Jones + Pick(3rd or 4th type) for Hemskey.

That's an easy yes for us I would think. The chance to move Jones' contract right away for only 1 year of Hemskeys, while still getting a half decent player in Hemskey seems like it would be a perfect scenario for us.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Are you the guy who was also saying we didn't need more offense from the blueline?

I agree we don't have enough top end skill but we don't have enough anything. The role players we have aren't even particularly great role players since we can't rely on the, defensively and they don't cycle all that well.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Nah I think he's right. We have role players, but none of them are particularly good at playing there roles.

Watching the playoffs it becomes apparent just how important guys like Bickell, McClement, Rupp, Prust, Torres, Cooke, etc. are to a team.

You need to have guys that can go out, play a regular shift and really be big energizing guys that wear on the other teams Defense and hit everything that moves.

We do have McCleod, who will be an awesome role player for us when we finally make playoffs. But outside of McCleod, we don't have those type of guys. Bordeleau is a fighter and a hitter, but he's not someone who can be relied on to play a regular shift at this point(Maybe in a couple years though).

After that we had/have Pajamas, Kobasew, and Olver who are all just to soft or to small to be effective role playing guys.

We need to go out this summer and sign a good role player, we really did. Mitchell was a decent attempt last summer, but he isn't gritty enough IMO.

Boyd Gordon, Pascal Dupuis, Matt Cooke, and Ryan Jones are just a few guys that I think would really be solid additions to our bottom 6.

We should go out and sign one of those this summer IMO.

no the problem isn't the role they play. it's that we have 4 legit players.
we have Duchene who has established himself as the franchise player, we have Landeskog,PAP & Stastny when he's dialed in.
ROR,Downie and McGinn aren't consistent enough on O at present.

everyone else is just meh or bland. too many role players who we ask to be top 6 guys and they can't maintain that role.
they're playing above their station and it shows.

Are you the guy who was also saying we didn't need more offense from the blueline?

I agree we don't have enough top end skill but we don't have enough anything. The role players we have aren't even particularly great role players since we can't rely on the, defensively and they don't cycle all that well.

yes i am. i still think that. we need our D corps to be really good on D.
the O will come from that as we force turnovers and get odd man rushes and etc.
but that all comes from playing really good D. unless we get a coach that can script a really good D system and not expose guys. then yes we need them to score a lot.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
An Oilers fan just suggested Jones + Pick(3rd or 4th type) for Hemskey.

That's an easy yes for us I would think. The chance to move Jones' contract right away for only 1 year of Hemskeys, while still getting a half decent player in Hemskey seems like it would be a perfect scenario for us.

You sure they meant David? Cause I'd do that in a heartbeat and I've never met an Oilers fan to post sensible trade suggestions. :laugh:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You sure they meant David? Cause I'd do that in a heartbeat and I've never met an Oilers fan to post sensible trade suggestions. :laugh:

Yup hahah, and it was from a very surprising Oilers fan(One of the bigger Homers on there board).

I originally said I would probably do a 3rd for Hemskey, and he then said with us not being to happy with Jones at the moment maybe Jones + Pick for Hemskey because they could use a grittier forward in there top 6/9.

Jones + 3rd for Hemskey would be awesome for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad