Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I need some clarification on Free Agency.

I know that players cannot officially sign before July 5th, but I could've swore I read somewhere that teams and players can meet before that date and even verbal agreements could be made, just the contract couldn't be signed before that date.

Do I have that wrong?

That is my impression as well.

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
I need some clarification on Free Agency.

I know that players cannot officially sign before July 5th, but I could've swore I read somewhere that teams and players can meet before that date and even verbal agreements could be made, just the contract couldn't be signed before that date.

Do I have that wrong?

ouch thats tapping up thats a big no no the old team still owns the right to the player

the players that has been bought out is a different story

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
ouch thats tapping up thats a big no no the old team still owns the right to the player

the players that has been bought out is a different story

I mean I thought I read that teams/players can meet beginning July 3rd, but contracts cannot be signed until July 5th...I'm looking right now

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I mean I thought I read that teams/players can meet beginning July 3rd, but contracts cannot be signed until July 5th...I'm looking right now

Yeah, I believe I saw something like that too. I thought it was the day prior, but I doubt they'd do that on the 4th. The 3rd sounds right. They can't do anything official, just speak with the teams.

Edit: Per Capgeek @ http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/:

FREE AGENCY
Group 3 unrestricted free agency remains unchanged and begins on July 1 each year. UFAs may meet and interview with potential new clubs from the day after the entry draft (June 25 at the latest) until June 30.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah, I believe I saw something like that too. I thought it was the day prior, but I doubt they'd do that on the 4th. The 3rd sounds right. They can't do anything official, just speak with the teams.

Edit: Per Capgeek @ http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/:

FREE AGENCY
Group 3 unrestricted free agency remains unchanged and begins on July 1 each year. UFAs may meet and interview with potential new clubs from the day after the entry draft (June 25 at the latest) until June 30.

That isn't clear at all to me, I'm not sure what that means? I'm not blaming you, just the weird way it's worded.

So teams CAN talk w/ UFA players beginning today, but cannot sign them until July 5th? I thought it was weird how they kept advertising it during the draft as 7/5/13 being "Signing Day"...

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That isn't clear at all to me, I'm not sure what that means? I'm not blaming you, just the weird way it's worded.

So teams CAN talk w/ UFA players beginning today, but cannot sign them until July 5th? I thought it was weird how they kept advertising it during the draft as 7/5/13 being "Signing Day"...

That's what I got out of it. The dates are obviously wrong due to the lockout, but the window is about the same.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

This is correct. There will probably be some contracts that are agreed to before July 5th. Much like the NBA.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I do not really care about UFA.
I expect and hope that we sign a Ference or best case Scuderi or Hainsey.
But I am not even sure I want those guys at their presumed pricetags.

Besides Milan, we really don't have any FAs. Vincour is in the KHL and I think that Palushaj will not receive a QO

I am very interested however in how we conduct ourselves during contract negotiations.
Have we learned from ROR and countless other desasters?

To me getting some of the guys extended right now is priority number one.
Besides Duchene, almost all of the guys had a rough year and we could get them at a good price.

Does anyone know when we can officially extend our RFAs and UFAs?

RFAs next year:
Duchene
ROR
Landeskog
Varlamov
McGinn
Elliott
Barrie
Olver

UFAs next year:
Stastny
Downie
Giguere
Mitchell
Sarich
Hunwick
Zanon

Depending on how we decide to handle our logjam at center, I would like to see a decision on Stastny soon.
Extend him or internally decide that he will be auctioned off at the deadline.
Same for ROR. Extension talks should start immediately.
Get his cap number down and if you want to part ways, make sure that you have your feelers out prior to the deadline.

Look if Downie is willing to take a reasonable contract right now.
He is the kind of guy who gets crazily overpaid in UFA if he has a good year and after his lost season, he might want to like some longterm security right now. Could be a win - win.

Duchene and Landeskog have to be re-signed asap.
Maybe you can get Landeskog cheap on an 8 year deal.
Get your captain signed longterm.
If Duchene repeats his season he might get awfully expensive.
Rather pay him less now.

Talk contract with Varlamov now. Show some confidence in him.
If Rask gets 7M, I don't want to know what Varly (who had some problems in WSH during contract negotiations for other reasons. But still a bit worrisome with the KHL on the horizon) asks for if he has a good next season. You don't have to extend him now.
Just show some faith in him. Might make things easier next season.

McGinn: Do not extend him right now unless he comes cheap. Could be a trade chip in the future. Would not hurt to see what he is looking for though..

Elliott: Wait until next offseason
Barrie: If he is willing to take a cheap extension that leaves him a RFA afterwards, do it!

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Maybe this has been talked about but with our forward core now looking set...Is Hejduk set to retire? Or do you think he tries to find a contender during FA?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
So Free Agency basically start today? I'm sure we will see some contracts being agreed today then. Kind of meaningless. They might as well start it when the contracts run out then.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I have a feeling that a team that is patient and waits will be able to find bargains later in July. Teams need to move players and shed salary. Probably even more so after the first few days of free agency.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
This is correct. There will probably be some contracts that are agreed to before July 5th. Much like the NBA.

I actually really like this change.

It may result in some deals with higher numbers if players play teams against each other, but I think that negative aspect will be negated by both teams and players having a few days to think about an offer before making the gut call based on the dollar value alone. Hopefully the Luongo saga, the Carter/Richards trades, and the buyouts of the last few days, will give players and GMs pause when looking at contracts that are clearly above a players long term worth AND/OR are lifetime deals.

In the long run, I think having a day or two to look at all the offers on the table and considering the long term implications of signing with one team or another will allow players to factor where they would be best suited to play along with the pure dollars rather than just being driven by money alone. (though some players and GMs will still be stupid about it)

These few days will also be a great time for Sakic, Roy, and Sherman to be making calls to teams that may want to dump salary, as those teams will be talking to UFAs and they may be able to set up a deal or two that helps the Avs now if those teams need to dump salary as they wait to sign someone they are talking to.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Maybe it does start on the 3rd for this year only.

This is what I found on CBS @ http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...ill-look-a-little-different-this-time-around:

First off, while free agency doesn't technically begin until Friday at noon ET -- that's when players can actually sign with new teams -- there is a new window that will open on Wednesday in which free agents can flirt with teams. If a player and a team find a fit by 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday, for example, they can announce an agreement is in place and essentially will be done. Unless players suddenly adopt the definition of commitment used in the world of college recruiting, all that should be left is to do the I's and cross the T's.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

There is conflicting information all over the place about the dates this year, but I don't think today is accurate. Pierre Lebrun and the actual CBA Doc say they can't talk to UFA's until July 3rd, and can sign on July 5th.

I think people are getting the dates confused with the normal dates for a non shortened season, that say they can talk to UFA's the day after the draft.

The July 3rd date is explicitly stated as part of the critical dates in 2012-13 though.

From CBA Page 358:

"EXHIBIT 16-B
2012/13 CRITICAL DATE CALENDAR

DAY DATE EVENT

Sunday June 30
x 2013 NHL Draft (Newark, New Jersey) (All 7 Rounds)48 hours after conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final
x First Buy-out Period Begins
x Deadline for First Club-Elected Salary Arbitration Notification (5:00 pm NY time)

Tuesday July 2
x Deadline for Qualifying Offers, which are not open for acceptance prior to July 5

Wednesday Thursday July 3 / July 4
Interview Periods for Club RFAs and UFAs (no SPCs or Offer Sheets with New Clubs)

Thursday July 4
x First Buy-out Period Ends (5:00 pm NY time)
x Club's ability to offer own potential UFA an eight (8) year SPC expires (11:59 pm NY time)

FridayJuly 5
x Qualifying Offers Open for Acceptance (12:00 pm NY time)
x RFA/UFA Signing Period Begins (12:00 pm NY time)"

From CBA Page 344:

"EXHIBIT 15 CRITICAL DATE CALENDAR

Day after the Entry Draft (but not later than June 25) until June 30
Unrestricted Free Agents may meet and interview with potential new Clubs, but may not sign new SPCs until the opening of RFA/UFA Signing Period

Later of June 25 or Monday after Entry Draft
Deadline for Qualifying Offers, which are not open for acceptance prior to July 1 (5:00 p.m. New York time)

Later of June 26
or Tuesday after Entry Draft
Restricted Free Agents may make contact with Clubs (including their own) regarding potential interest, but may not sign new SPCs or Offer Sheets until the opening of RFA/UFA Signing Period

June 30
Setting of Upper/Lower Limits
First Buy-Out Period Ends (5:00 p.m. New York time)

July 1
Qualifying Offers Open for Acceptance (12:00 p.m. New York time)
RFA/UFA Signing Period Begins (12:00 p.m. New York time)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad