Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Think the Avs will give it til the trade deadline, juggling the lines trying Stastny, ROR, and Mac all at wing.

Unless he flourishes at wing, I highly doubt ROR will be happy with a 2b/3 center role behind Mac and Dutch, while I think Stastny would be more inclined to accept his long term future with the Avs as a 2b center and as an eventual 3C.

I truly think ROR will be the first center dealt between him and Stastny.

This. Hopefully the deadline is after the signing date last year. Stastny will likely come much cheaper at the end of next year. Plus he's a team player who won't sit out for $. O'Reilly really left me sour after last year. Unless he has an incredible year, I say bye!

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
I truly think ROR will be the first center dealt between him and Stastny.

Provided that Stastny is willing to sign an extension with this team and is reasonable in his demands, he's a better fit going forward. Yes, ROR is the better player but for the same reason, he'll get us the better return. Stastny, on a reasonable contract, would be a great complement to Duchene and MacKinnon in the long run. Realistically, Stastny and ROR are both overqualified for the 3rd line, defensive center duties. So, you trade away the better one (better in terms of both talent and contract value) to get the best possible return to improve the team in areas of need.

I can definitely see the Avs waiting until February next year before making a big splash for the defenseman this franchise needs. If it wasn't for the divisional factor (although, that hasn't stopped trades with Calgary in the past), I could see Roman Josi being that guy.

Last edited:

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
I am confident in Roy and Sakic. They have one of top groups of forwards in the NHL and now they are turning their attention to the defense. The question is how big of a move will it be and when will happen. I am excited for this offseason like never before.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I wonder if the Avs have the assets to go get Braydon Coburn without trading away anything of immediate value towards this season?

Avs Get:
Coburn

Philly Get:
2nd Round Pick 2014
Millan/Patterson/Aittokallio
Olver
Zanon

Avs could use the big lefty D man. He either steps in with EJ and forms the top pair or slots in with Barrie or Elliott down the depth chart.

Philly is always in search of the next thing in net, and they could have their choice of the 3 prospects. Olver is a decent depth 3rd/4th line player who can play any position and Zanon, despite what many Avs fans think, is a decent 5/6 guy when used properly. Just as important, Zanon and Olver are both cheap cap hit depth players.

Hell, if Philly really wanted to trim some cap space to improve via UFA, I would even take Meszaros off their hands in the deal and just eat the salary this year for them. (deal would then clear about 7 million in cap space for Philly to go after someone like Vinny and another UFA D man or goalie) Avs could then try to flip Meszaros in another deal before the season started or hold onto him and see how the D core works out, probably trading him to a contender looking for depth at the deadline for table scraps.

Colburn-Johnson
Wilson-Barrie
Hejda-Elliott

Depth of Meszaros(if they desire to dump salary), Sarich, and Hunwick

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wonder if the Avs have the assets to go get Braydon Coburn without trading away anything of immediate value towards this season?

Avs Get:
Coburn

Philly Get:
2nd Round Pick 2014
Millan/Patterson/Aittokallio
Olver
Zanon

Avs could use the big lefty D man. He either steps in with EJ and forms the top pair or slots in with Barrie or Elliott down the depth chart.

Philly is always in search of the next thing in net, and they could have their choice of the 3 prospects. Olver is a decent depth 3rd/4th line player who can play any position and Zanon, despite what many Avs fans think, is a decent 5/6 guy when used properly. Just as important, Zanon and Olver are both cheap cap hit depth players.

Hell, if Philly really wanted to trim some cap space to improve via UFA, I would even take Meszaros off their hands in the deal and just eat the salary this year for them. (deal would then clear about 7 million in cap space for Philly to go after someone like Vinny and another UFA D man or goalie) Avs could then try to flip Meszaros in another deal before the season started or hold onto him and see how the D core works out, probably trading him to a contender looking for depth at the deadline for table scraps.

Colburn-Johnson
Wilson-Barrie
Hejda-Elliott

Depth of Meszaros(if they desire to dump salary), Sarich, and Hunwick

We can use McGinn if we pick up a RW in free-agency. The rumor was that they wanted a cheap young forward.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Parenteau

Landeskog - Stastny - UFA/Iginla?

Tanguay - Mack - Downie

McGinn + Goalie prospect for Coburn

The one thing is, it would be dangerous to do it before we knew if we could get someone like Horton or Iginla to sign with us. Which may be another thing they are waiting on.

I could see McGinn + Sgarbossa + 1st 2014 for Yandle as well, just have to see what's available in free-agency.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
We can use McGinn if we pick up a RW in free-agency. The rumor was that they wanted a cheap young forward.

I could see McGinn + Sgarbossa + 1st 2014 for Yandle as well, just have to see what's available in free-agency.

The Avs might use McGinn as trade bait this summer, but honestly I think that Roy and Sakic are 100% set on the top 3 forwards right now. Unless some great deal falls in their lap, IMO the only way that Sakic and Roy get a D man via a trade is for futures.

That said, a deal for Yandle MIGHT be a great deal worth of them messing with their imagined top 9...though given what the Yotes have done to retain their players lately, I would suspect that Yandle is not moving this summer.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The Avs might use McGinn as trade bait this summer, but honestly I think that Roy and Sakic are 100% set on the top 3 forwards right now. Unless some great deal falls in their lap, IMO the only way that Sakic and Roy get a D man via a trade is for futures.

That said, a deal for Yandle MIGHT be a great deal worth of them messing with their imagined top 9...though given what the Yotes have done to retain their players lately, I would suspect that Yandle is not moving this summer.

I'm hoping we offer-sheet Pietrangelo for 10-12M for one year, lol. Even if it does not work, St. Louis would have to part with a 4-6M dollar player just to fit him in for a year. We wouldn't have to change **** lol. And could negotiate and extension with him at any time.

No one else is really worth 4 first rounders though. I wouldn't do it for McDonaugh personally, not enough offensive upside. NY and Washington (Alzner) are vulnerable though. Washington has something like less than 3M in cap space as it stands. I have no idea how in the hell they are going to sign Alzner at all.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis

I would be shocked if the Avs use next year's first at this point without protecting it, which significantly cuts into its value. Think about that trade proposal and what happens if that picks ends up being top 5. Personally, I'd rather the Avs get a shot at Ekblad. Too risky.

Worse yet, Phoenix, for example, wouldn't value it too highly, even if it was unprotected, because they'd think it gets them no better than a top 20 pick.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I would be shocked if the Avs use next year's first at this point without protecting it, which significantly cuts into its value. Think about that trade proposal and what happens if that picks ends up being top 5. Personally, I'd rather the Avs get a shot at Ekblad. Too risky.

Worse yet, Phoenix, for example, wouldn't value it too highly, even if it was unprotected, because they'd think it gets them no better than a top 20 pick.

So which is it? A top 20 pick, or a top 5 pick?

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
So which is it? A top 20 pick, or a top 5 pick?

For us, we'd see it as a potential top 5 pick. For them, they'd see us becoming a playoff team with the Yandle addition. Future assets like that are hard to trade unless you're far enough into the season to peg the value.

Honestly, I don't understand what was unclear...

I can tell you, however, it will be a top 30 pick.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 1h
Peter Chiarelli very blunt abt Tyler Seguin: "He needs to focus all his mind and energy on hockey. He needs to be a better pro" #BruinsTalk

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
For us, we'd see it as a potential top 5 pick. For them, they'd see us becoming a playoff team with the Yandle addition. Future assets like that are hard to trade unless you're far enough into the season to peg the value.

Honestly, I don't understand what was unclear...

I can tell you, however, it will be a top 30 pick.

So you think that if we added Yandle without cutting into our core, we'd still be a bottom 5 team?

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
So you think that if we added Yandle without cutting into our core, we'd still be a bottom 5 team?

No, but this team hasn't played one game under Roy so projecting the Avs for next year is difficult. Plus, with injuries, who knows? We'll probably score a lot of goals, but's it's not like Yandle is a shut down defenseman either. Whether or not more goals translates to wins is another story.

Personally, I think we compete for the 4th seed in our division this year. Maybe even the 3rd seed. But, we could just as easily be a lottery team, which also means a possible top 5 pick.

But this debate is unnecessary anyways. I don't think Phoenix would think highly enough of the pick to make the trade you proposed.

The Angry Teatowel

@AngryTeatowel
Aug 11, 2009
Kent, UK
www.eurolanche.com
I understand that. I see a lot of anxious posters, mostly concerned about the possibility of our defense not improving going into this season. Unfortunately, that's usually the same crowd that will then be mad if we trade Stastny and only get a bottom pairing defenseman in return.

The point is, we should be patient. The status quo is not a long-term plan for Sakic/Roy. Do people really think it is? There will be opportunities to improve this team over the next couple seasons. When they arise, we take them. Until then, we relax - there is little doubt the Avalanche of 2013/2014 will be much better than the previous iteration.

I wish this board had more posters like you. Too many around here get their panties in a bunch and think that their asinine fantasy GM trade proposals on here should be considered in real life (and are likely shocked that NHL GM's don't use HF Boards Trade section as a research tool...) Patience is what is needed. Complaining about the state of the defence when we haven't even hit free agency, let alone training camp, just smacks of the rash, entitled attitude that is prevalent amongst the Internet generation.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Eklund: Sources say there was an offer for the first overall pick that was worth extra consideration.

Roy: There was no offer that made them seriously consider trading the pick.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I need some clarification on Free Agency.

I know that players cannot officially sign before July 5th, but I could've swore I read somewhere that teams and players can meet before that date and even verbal agreements could be made, just the contract couldn't be signed before that date.

Do I have that wrong?

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
I'm not even a Meszaros fan, dating back to his Ottawa days, but I'd sure as hell take him over Zanon since they're both on one year deals.

The problem with Meszaros is that he just can't stay healthy.

Sekera on the other hand would have been a good fit for the Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad