Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Dreger said Tallon wanted both the 1st and 2nd overall picks. Avs asked for two top young roster players so talks ended there.

Must have been Huberdeau and Gudbranson/Kulikov.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think Colorado's defense will be solid next year if they can add two veteran players on the back end. Though, that might be asking a lot. It doesn't seem like they will move Stastny before the season starts.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs apparently not willing to trade Stastny right now and moving O'Reilly to wing isn't a good sign. I hope they try to re-sign O'Reilly this summer or else he might be gone.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I think Colorado's defense will be solid next year if they can add two veteran players on the back end. Though, that might be asking a lot. It doesn't seem like they will move Stastny before the season starts.

I would agree. I think Sakic knows how good of a player Stastny is (he played with him), and wants to see him with a new focus under a new coach.

If we are adding a veteran blue liner I would prefer Hainsey to Farence. Hainsey played with Bogo last season and we need him for a similar role with EJ. I think it would be a good fit. I would also look at a short term deal on Ballard if the Canucks buy him out.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
The Avs need to continue developing organically. Now is not the time to desperately seek out a defenseman in a trade just because it seems like we should. There will be a time to go get a defenseman, but patience is preferable to desperation.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I would agree. I think Sakic knows how good of a player Stastny is (he played with him), and wants to see him with a new focus under a new coach.

If we are adding a veteran blue liner I would prefer Hainsey to Farence. Hainsey played with Bogo last season and we need him for a similar role with EJ. I think it would be a good fit. I would also look at a short term deal on Ballard if the Canucks buy him out.
I've wondered about Ballard. I'd take him on the cheap too.

The Avs didn't dump any of their excess defensemen today. That's a worry.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Did we really go through the entire draft with the same defense as last year? Worse than last year I should say because Sarich is worse than SOB.

I hope Patrick can pull off something other than signing a redundant player like Ferrence as a UFA. I'm still aggravated they didn't try to match Carolina's offer for Sekera. I just hope there's a good reason for that other than drafting a kid they hope will develop into a guy like Sekera.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
The Avs need to continue developing organically. Now is not the time to desperately seek out a defenseman in a trade just because it seems like we should. There will be a time to go get a defenseman, but patience is preferable to desperation.

The problem is that you need your defenseman to be developed before you start getting your young forwards on 2nd deals. We aren't going to be able to afford all these forwards in 5 years. So we can't wait and see if some of these guys develop. Don't give up on them, but we need help on the NHL roster.

Burnaby_Joe*

Roy said the top 9 will look like this:

O'Reilly Duchene Parenteau
Tanguay Stastny Landeskog
McGinn MacKinnon Downie

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

McGinn MacKinnon Downie

I seriously cannot believe it's been since Sidney Crosby's rookie season since Tangs was on our team... Time flies.

But when it comes down to it I really don't think these are going to be our opening night lines.

I do think Stastny will be moved and I do think MacKinnon will earn the #2 C spot.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Honestly our D corps won't be as bad as everyone thinks next year if all we do is add a number 3 or 4 guy. A lot of players pretty much have came out and said they were handcuffed under Saccos coaching. Hejda and EJ and Stastny have been on record I believe of saying something like that while interviewed at world championships. After tearing it up offensively (Stas and EJ).

Johnson Barrie
Hejda Wilson
Ference? Sarich

Hunwick
Elliot
Zanon
Siemens

If guys can stay healthy and Barrie and Elliot can play more as well as actually letting the offensive guys be offensive we may be ok. I think with a new system we may be ok with a minor tweak instead of major one.

Last season Johnson,Wilson both missed big chunks. As well as Elliot and Barrie being up and down from Lake Erie over and over and not getting a chance to get comfortable and into a good rythm. Finally we got rid of the slow pokes in Obrien and Obyrne. We are already more mobile and offensive with a good mix of shutdown guys.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Did we really go through the entire draft with the same defense as last year? Worse than last year I should say because Sarich is worse than SOB.

I hope Patrick can pull off something other than signing a redundant player like Ferrence as a UFA. I'm still aggravated they didn't try to match Carolina's offer for Sekera. I just hope there's a good reason for that other than drafting a kid they hope will develop into a guy like Sekera.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed on that front thus far. Swapping out O'Brien for Sarich should not be the only Defensive change this year...along with what we could hope would be a new Defensive Scheme. They need DIFFERENT PLAYERS. As it is, if Wilson is healthy, we're likely looking at this:

Wilson-EJ
Barrie-Hejda
Hunwick/Elliott-Zanon/Sarich
Siemens

Perhaps they feel that Siemens is farther along in his development than we do? Perhaps we're making too much out of this when we haven't seen if this is their plan. I am just a little frustrated that nothing has happened yet, but I will attempt to show some patience.

McGinn MacKinnon Downie

Yeah, but we haven't even had Training Camp yet, and some don't believe that Stastny will be here when the season begins, and it won't surprise me if the Top 9 looks a bit different than that come start of the season.

First of all, I see Tanguay and McGinn trading spots at some point. I think Tanguay will work better with MacKinnon, and I'd like to see McGinn back with Stastny.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
The problem is that you need your defenseman to be developed before you start getting your young forwards on 2nd deals. We aren't going to be able to afford all these forwards in 5 years. So we can't wait and see if some of these guys develop. Don't give up on them, but we need help on the NHL roster.

If the forwards become too expensive, we trade one or two to land a stud defenseman. We're not winning a cup this year. Most likely we won't win a cup next year. The point is, why make a bad trade because you need to fill an area of need on a team that won't be winning the cup anyways. It's one thing if we're one stud defenseman away from being a contender. We're still far from that. When the opportunity strikes, we should take advantage of it. Until then, we should wait patiently for the opportunity to arise.

The point is that we shouldn't make a trade for the sake of it. If there's good value in one out there, certainly do so. But I see no value in taking a subpar trade for a defenseman when we're better off, for the time being, sticking with the roster we have.

The lack of movement on this front is likely not because Sakic/Roy think we can win with the current defenseman we have or are not committed on improving this team as a whole. Perhaps, we haven't made a move because a good move isn't there yet.

There is no value in interpreting the status quo on defense as a lack of concern.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
If the forwards become too expensive, we trade one or two to land a stud defenseman. We're not winning a cup this year. Most likely we won't win a cup next year. The point is, why make a bad trade because you need to fill an area of need on a team that won't be winning the cup anyways. It's one thing if we're one stud defenseman away from being a contender. We're still far from that. When the opportunity strikes, we should take advantage of it. Until then, we should wait patiently for the opportunity to arise.

The point is that we shouldn't make a trade for the sake of it. If there's good value in one out there, certainly do so. But I see no value in taking a subpar trade for a defenseman when we're better off, for the time being, sticking with the roster we have.

The lack of movement on this front is likely not because Sakic/Roy think we can win with the current defenseman we have or are not committed on improving this team as a whole. Perhaps, we haven't made a move because a good move isn't there yet.

There is no value in interpreting the status quo on defense as a lack of concern.

I don't think anyone here wants to make a bad trade. I would like to either make hockey trade, or sign a UFA. Preference would be to trade for a player (like Sekera) that already has a few years experience, that is ready for a bigger role. But obviously those are going to be few and far between.

You are right, this didn't have to be addressed today, and even before the season starts. I think fans are just anxious to see what direction they are going to go, and are putting out ideas.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009

McGinn MacKinnon Downie

Those lines look pretty good. Landeskog should score quite a few goals with Tanguay and Stastny feeding him. Mack has two physical wingers next to him, both will protect him if needed, and one is a setup guy and one is a shooter. Should work well. Top line is just too talented to fail, I think. Radar adds a grit and defensive element on that line, along with underrated passing ability and pretty good shot.

Defence needs 1-2 solid additions, but its still early. Free agency hasnt even started.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Think the Avs will give it til the trade deadline, juggling the lines trying Stastny, ROR, and Mac all at wing.

Unless he flourishes at wing, I highly doubt ROR will be happy with a 2b/3 center role behind Mac and Dutch, while I think Stastny would be more inclined to accept his long term future with the Avs as a 2b center and as an eventual 3C.

I truly think ROR will be the first center dealt between him and Stastny.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The Sekera trade was good value, Avs need to look for reasonable options to improve the defense along those lines.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
I don't think anyone here wants to make a bad trade. I would like to either make hockey trade, or sign a UFA. Preference would be to trade for a player (like Sekera) that already has a few years experience, that is ready for a bigger role. But obviously those are going to be few and far between.

You are right, this didn't have to be addressed today, and even before the season starts. I think fans are just anxious to see what direction they are going to go, and are putting out ideas.

I understand that. I see a lot of anxious posters, mostly concerned about the possibility of our defense not improving going into this season. Unfortunately, that's usually the same crowd that will then be mad if we trade Stastny and only get a bottom pairing defenseman in return.

The point is, we should be patient. The status quo is not a long-term plan for Sakic/Roy. Do people really think it is? There will be opportunities to improve this team over the next couple seasons. When they arise, we take them. Until then, we relax - there is little doubt the Avalanche of 2013/2014 will be much better than the previous iteration.

Burnaby_Joe*

I seriously cannot believe it's been since Sidney Crosby's rookie season since Tangs was on our team... Time flies.

But when it comes down to it I really don't think these are going to be our opening night lines.

I do think Stastny will be moved and I do think MacKinnon will earn the #2 C spot.

I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad