Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Just did a look around some forums to read the Staz chatter. I'm surprised, but despite terribad proposals on the trades forum from Hawks fans, their posters recognized we have no need to move him for less than fair or more value. Blues fans were 50/50, some very against him and vocal about him not being their solution, others very interested...

Jets fans knew little about him, not surprising given their limited exposure. Leafs fans still maintain their silly thoughts that MacArthur and Gunnarson is more than enough... one person was even trying to convince people Stastny has only ever had one good season.

I wish we canned Sacco yesterday just so we could start saying 'I told you so' when he lit the lamp under a new system and with the right linemates.

Don't base an opinion on a few, we have a large fanbase and because of it, we get statements like that.

I actually came here to see if Av's fans felt Staz was available and what they thought fair value from TO would be?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't post much or at all on other teams boards, but if you're going to quote me I'd like to respond.

I never said Stastny isn't a good player. But I do think he is overpaid for his current production, and I also don't think that the Jets are in a position to trade a guy they are extremely high on (Scheifele), and his 3 years of ELC and 7 years of team control, for 1.5 years of Stastny.

The Avs may get more from a team closer to winning the cup, but IMO, that team is not the Jets.

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything about your post other than use it as an example of why it would be nice if Avs fans brought up those things on our forum before going elsewhere. I have no problem with people have their own opinions or telling me/us something is stupid from their perspective. Just wish people would stop making everyone look bad before thinking something through.

Again, poor decision on my part, but when Cobra first joined the forum he put through like a dozen trade proposals on the trade forum and I blasted him over it. But he eventually came to the Avs board and has contributed as a solid member now and we all can kind of sync on our opinions and bounce stuff off eachother without looking bad on other team's forums.

It just helps us avoid the situation big teams get like the Leafs where their 12 year old fans post NHL 13 trade proposals on the trades board or here and their reasonable fans stay in their own forum.

But that's essentially why it makes no sense to trade him this season. It doesn't really look like they are trying to move him at all either.

I think this post is the REALITY of how most fans feel about Stastny:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=61978013&postcount=23

I think that deep down, they are confident that Stastny would bounce back in another system, for another team and another coach. However, you still have to look at it from their point of view: they don't watch our team, they see a $6.6M cap hit and a dramatic reduction in points and they don't feel like they should pay a premium for that.

So unless we actually DO want a crappy return, the time to trade him is certainly not now. Let's get a new coach and go from there. Stastny will be in a contract year next season anyways, so it's ALSO in his best interest to light it up so unless we get a wonderful package, I'm expecting him to stay put. [Have a weird gut feeling that the Habs are really interested though]

Oh, I agree 100% Bender. No one wants to trade for Stastny if they don't think they can get him cheap and he rebounds to a #1 center production with them. Then they can mock us for the Avs trading him cheap and their team "reviving his career" persay. It's downright ridiculous when people pretend to think otherwise in trade threads and then mock us for wanting more and go through the same motions with "He's a 6.6mil #2/3 center putting up less than 55 points a year, he's declining, he's not that good".

Don't base an opinion on a few, we have a large fanbase and because of it, we get statements like that.

I actually came here to see if Av's fans felt Staz was available and what they thought fair value from TO would be?

At this point, I've lost the ability to differentiate whose who in your fanbase. The trade boards, our forums, your forums, 90% of the time it feels like if you're a Leaf fan you're undervaluing Stastny or bashing him.

Something around Gardiner + Finn for Stastny is what I said a week or two ago. If Gardiner played this season in the NHL to gauge his progress over I might add more or accept less. Bozak holds little value in a trade to us, but I've seen Leafs fans float around Bozak for a 1st/2nd on your forums as fair value.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

You may laugh, but despite Stastny's less-than-stellar season thus far, I think Jake Gardiner is a good start. Maybe Gardiner and Bozak? :dunno:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I wasn't trying to insinuate anything about your post other than use it as an example of why it would be nice if Avs fans brought up those things on our forum before going elsewhere. I have no problem with people have their own opinions or telling me/us something is stupid from their perspective. Just wish people would stop making everyone look bad before thinking something through.

Again, poor decision on my part, but when Cobra first joined the forum he put through like a dozen trade proposals on the trade forum and I blasted him over it. But he eventually came to the Avs board and has contributed as a solid member now and we all can kind of sync on our opinions and bounce stuff off eachother without looking bad on other team's forums.

It just helps us avoid the situation big teams get like the Leafs where their 12 year old fans post NHL 13 trade proposals on the trades board or here and their reasonable fans stay in their own forum.

Cool thanks.

I agree with the thoughts here that there really isn't a reason to trade Stastny unless it makes sense for the Avs.

Best of luck guys, looking forward to seeing more of the Avs next year when the Jets move into the West.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
How many concussions has Gardiner had?

I don't see the Leafs giving up Bozak this season. They may as well keep him for a playoff push.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Please share :amazed:
We didnt hear any rumours from the Habs . As a matter of fact , last time i heard of Stastny arround here ( TVA sports ) they said about him that his numbers has been going down the last few seasons and that he has one year left of a huge contract to deal with . But i'm curious about your gut feeling and i would like to know more.
Just for the fun of it, who do you see coming our way ?

It's a 'gut feeling', means nothing really. Just figure that Bergevin would want to reunite Staz with Maxpac. While the vast majority of hfboards fans seem oblivious to how underwhelming Stastny has been with the Avs compared to when he's playing with guys like Maxpac and Bobby Ryan at the World Championships for the past 2 years, I'm quite certain that GMs like Bergevin are not.

Just for fun? Let's make it a blockbuster then! :D:
Stastny,C
Elliott,RD [currently being showcased?]

for

Eller,C
Tinordi,LD [currently being showcased?]
1st

I found the timing with the Elliott call-up to be a little surprising especially considering that SoB had actually been one of our better D-men, that's not saying much, I know. While it could also just be Sacco playing head games, very likely, it could also be a showcasing kind of situation.

Anyways, my actual preference is to hold on to Staz and see how everything shakes out after this season and go from there.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You may laugh, but despite Stastny's less-than-stellar season thus far, I think Jake Gardiner is a good start. Maybe Gardiner and Bozak? :dunno:

He's back playing now and looking solid. This is a deal i would actually consider though. Reilley is coming and we still have Liles as a puckmover.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
How many concussions has Gardiner had?

I don't see the Leafs giving up Bozak this season. They may as well keep him for a playoff push.

Gardiner has had 1 concussion, was cleared a LONG time ago and has been playing for a while since.

As for Bozak, if we got Staz, Bozak could go.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do we really need Bozak? We've still got Malkin on the team and have Sgar in the AHL getting close to NHL ready. I don't think we need to bring back a 3 C if we trade Staz which is why I'd rather target the right EJ partner in a 1-for-1 deal.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Do we really need Bozak? We've still got Malkin on the team and have Sgar in the AHL getting close to NHL ready. I don't think we need to bring back a 3 C if we trade Staz which is why I'd rather target the right EJ partner in a 1-for-1 deal.

I don't like Mitchell at center and Sgarbossa should never be a 3rd line player. If he's going to succeed in the show, it will be on a top two line. Just my two cents.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would hope a conditional asset would get thrown in if Bozak prices out and isn't resigned though.

If I'm the Leafs I counter with the fact that the Leafs will likely have to keep Stastny at his current salary in order to retain him past 2014. I'd say it's a good haul regardless of whether Bozak re-signs, which is actually unlikely since he'll probably want to test the market and find someone stupid enough to pay him $4 million per.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would hope a conditional asset would get thrown in if Bozak prices out and isn't resigned though.

I don't think we'd get that kind of special treatment, considering Stastny will be in the same position only one year later. That's a much bigger deal for the leafs if they were giving up Gardiner.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think we'd get that kind of special treatment, considering Stastny will be in the same position only one year later. That's a much bigger deal for the leafs if they were giving up Gardiner.

Agreed. It's up to the Avs to try and re-sign Bozak before July 1st if indeed that deal goes down. If not, we still get Gardiner. Toronto gets a legit top-line center who appears to be on the decline and is also earning $6.5 million the following season. I think there's enough give-and-take there to justify no conditional picks in addition.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The guys on Sportsnet were speculating that Bozak could get close to $4M as a UFA. I don't see the Avs targetting him based on that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't like Mitchell at center and Sgarbossa should never be a 3rd line player. If he's going to succeed in the show, it will be on a top two line. Just my two cents.

Really? I thought Mitchell looked better when he had that extra ice to operate in, plus he's been great on faceoffs for us. As for Sgar, I would like to see him on the wing for one of the top two lines, but with his chippiness and our depth at center and winger, I like the idea of starting him off as the 3 C who plays on the wing for one of the PP units while he grows into the NHL.

McGinn-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-Staz/ROR-Downie/Jones
Mitchell-Sgar-Jones/Downie

would be how I started it, with Sgar moving up into McGinn or Downie/Jones' spot and Mitchell shifting in from the wing when Sgar is ready.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I heard that too, and that's utterly ridiculous. Bozak isn't worth anywhere NEAR that much.

Most people would agree that he's not a #1 center yet he's being used like a #1 center. (essentially, he's the exact opposite of Stastny in the regard) So the agent would be able to use his point production and use comparables throughout the league to justify the dollar amount. Not saying it's right, just saying that's what will likely happen. If there's a team desperate enough, I could see him getting a pretty big payday on July 1st. At the same time, if his agent can't really gauge the market, he might be one of those guys that signs for much less 2-3 weeks later by having priced himself out.

Either way, I'd be pretty surprised to see the Avs target this guy. Calgary might drive a truck full of $$$ to his door along with a NMC in tow. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad