Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If Sakic and Forsberg could be linemates, I'm sure ROR and Dutch could as well.

They've shared the ice on the power play haven't they?

I wish there was a stat showing their production when playing together vs not playing together. They were never very good when put on a line together, but it's hard to tell how they COULD have been if it was like that all the time, usually it was late game situations however.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I wish there was a stat showing their production when playing together vs not playing together. They were never very good when put on a line together, but it's hard to tell how they COULD have been if it was like that all the time, usually it was late game situations however.

That stretch they played with Fleury was downright ridiculous how good those 3 guys were together.

Fleury - 15gp 10g 14a 24pts

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I wouldn't want ROR as a winger, he would be wasted there. I'm not sure Stastny would work there either but I could be wrong.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I assume Stastny is available now? If he is,what are you looking for?

Ellis/Blum+Gaustad+____ as a start from Nashville. We can add more if you eat some salary.

Stastny, Jones, O'Brien, and 1st for Weber

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Wasn't Forsberg drafted as a Left Winger though? So it may not have been as awkward of a transition back to the wing, and he played wing once again in 08 with Stastny and Hejduk. O'Reilly doesn't strike me as a winger-type player, and neither does Stastny

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't know about that. Forsberg played center, he just started out on the left side. He was all over the ice as a LWer.

He could have played goal, and made miracles happen offensively.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
was that why he wasn't resigned? i thought it was issues with money.

Yeah I think missing game #6 against Dallas in the Western Conference Final (if memory serves) NOT due to any injury was a good enough sign that maybe they shouldn't re-sign him. Plus who knows what his teammates saw him do during his short time with the Avs.

It's too bad too, imagine this team with Regehr from 1999 to 2005?!

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Yeah I think missing game #6 against Dallas in the Western Conference Final (if memory serves) NOT due to any injury was a good enough sign that maybe they shouldn't re-sign him. Plus who knows what his teammates saw him do during his short time with the Avs.

It's too bad too, imagine this team with Regehr from 1999 to 2005?!

i was young at the time, so my memory doesn't serve me to well regarding this, but having being raised in calgary and being a long time theoren fluery fan, growing up as a kid in calgary you couldn't hate him, the only players i liked more than him were forsberg/sakic and roy, theo being the 4th, and when he was traded to avs it was a marriage to me, but when he was off to the rangers i was just puzzled along with the fact that him and sakic were supposedly buddy buddy, i didn't know about his troubles until the rangers happened .

the fact that he was mia for a playoff game on his accord is astounding to me. but you also make a very good point of how some team mates may have saw him behind the scene.

we might have even made another cup run or two with regehr in the lineup, having him and blake and foote on the ice at all times, wow. but that's hindsight , there was a point when regehr was in a car crash where people wondered if he was ever going to play hockey again.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As someone pointed out to me, losing Regehr wasn't one of those franchise-killing moves like, say, Roy for spare parts was, but losing him eventually left the Avs exposed once Blake and Foote were long gone. With Regehr in the lineup I dare say we might've eked out one more Cup run (maybe) and we most certainly don't have to put up with a "top shutdown pairing" of Skrastins/Clark.

If only Al Coates had chosen Martin Skoula over Robyn Regehr. If only...:cry:

Fleury, if I recall correctly, cited the trade to the Avalanche as the beginning of the time when his partying ways began to get the best of him. Lacroix obviously didn't realize Skoula was going to be nothing more than a mediocre defenseman at best, Regehr would be a star, and that Fleury would be a rental. Definitely his worst trade as Avs GM by a country mile. Way, way worse than even the Drury/Morris deal.

Anyhow, going back to the idea or O'Reilly or Stastny on the wing, I think either could easily switch if need be. Both do a lot of work on the wall anyway, and have no problem scrumming for the puck in the corners. In fact, O'Reilly has shown he can be a shoot-first type player with that awesome one-timer of his.

I don't think moving O'Reilly to wing makes much sense because I think it severely weakens us up the middle, but I think he'd be fine there if the Avs wanted to put him there. Stastny would be fine on the wing as well. The only guy who just didn't seem to do well at all on the wing was Duchene.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
^ decent read, however skoula was good for a time, kinda fizzled out like ozolinsh in my opinion, i remember right after the trade i was glad the flames took regehr instead of skoula.

i'm up for trying anyone but duchene at wing to make our top 6 stronger. anyone with a chance to see them practice maybe could give insight into lines.

at the end of the day if someone is to move i would prefer stastny but only if the return is good enough, he impressed me in calgary's game.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Ok so now that we're keeping O'reilly, what do we do to improve our D corps?

Elliott and Siemens probably both need another year before taking the next step (and probably more in Siemens case).

FA signing?
Try to buy low on a player in a trade?
Stand pat and wait a couple more years while we draft more talent?

We don't have a lot of valuable trade pieces, and after Siemens/Elliott/Barrie have very little in the way of high end prospect depth.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Elliott and Siemens probably both need another year before taking the next step (and probably more in Siemens case).

FA signing?

We don't have a lot of valuable trade pieces, and after Siemens/Elliott/Barrie have very little in the way of high end prospect depth.

Basically the only option at this point to get anything worth a crap is to trade Stastny for one.

And then we need to dump some of the repetitive dmen we have for some extra picks at the draft.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

FA signing?

I don't think the Avs can afford to trade Barrie/Elliott/Siemens. At least I hope to hell they don't. Let those kids develop at their own pace. Hell, even Gaunce still has a shot at the NHL, though his window is quickly closing.

We will see what happens. Stastny won't snag a top-four defender, but O'Reilly might. I wouldn't mind the Avs taking a look at Rob Scuderi this offseason. No, not a great option, but not too old yet, and his current contract isn't too bad. Solid stay-at-home defender who could play a decent middle-pairing role.

May as well keep Zanon, and flip O'Byrne and O'Brien for whatever we can get for them. It's clear they're not in the Avs' future plans. Matt Hunwick might be in demand from a lot of teams, because there are 29 teams right now that could use more Hunwick.

Will we really see an O'-less Avs squad? Seems sad, but it may happen.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't think the Avs can afford to trade Barrie/Elliott/Siemens. At least I hope to hell they don't. Let those kids develop at their own pace. Hell, even Gaunce still has a shot at the NHL, though his window is quickly closing.

We will see what happens. Stastny won't snag a top-four defender, but O'Reilly might. I wouldn't mind the Avs taking a look at Rob Scuderi this offseason. No, not a great option, but not too old yet, and his current contract isn't too bad. Solid stay-at-home defender who could play a decent middle-pairing role.

May as well keep Zanon, and flip O'Byrne and O'Brien for whatever we can get for them. It's clear they're not in the Avs' future plans. Matt Hunwick might be in demand from a lot of teams, because there are 29 teams right now that could use more Hunwick.

Will we really see an O'-less Avs squad? Seems sad, but it may happen.

I think you're underrating Scuderi, he isn't known as ''The Piece'' in Pitt and LA for nothing, he's one of the best pure defensive defensemen in the league.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

FA signing?

Think instead of going after an older #4-6 Dman like they did last year, they should look at a younger LHD with the attributes that complement EJ's style that have potential to play #2/3 minutes. My opinion is someone who is a two way D, but leans more defensively, that will allow EJ to be a bit more free to jump into the rush.
I'm not equipped with enough knowledge to evaluate players to say they are exactly the right complement, but guys like Smid (FA), Sekera, or Weircioch come to mind. Not sure if those can be traded for without giving up Staz though, so we may just have to hope for another year, that Wilson can stay healthy. He and EJ were not an awful pairing.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Anyone looked at Smid's stats recently? I know he is the guy who we would hope would let EJ open up offensively, but 2 assists in 20 games and -5 while playing less than 20 minutes a night isn't that great. Which is also scary for the contract he might get. I know the Oilers don't score much at even strength, and he gets no PP time, so it may be a bit exaggerated, but it is still something to watch out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad