Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I assume Stastny is available now? If he is,what are you looking for?

Ellis/Blum+Gaustad+____ as a start from Nashville. We can add more if you eat some salary.

I could imagine Colorado doing something like that.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
If Stastny isn't available now, it most likely means they are planning on trading ROR as soon as they can. Sadly.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
ROR can't leave so easily with him still being a RFA, but the point stands... until we know what both Stastny and ROR want for extensions, it probably isn't wise to trade Stastny.

I honestly don't think Stastny will go anywhere. I believe he will take a pay cut with his next contract. I'm sure he understands he hasn't come anywhere close to performing up to his contract, so he will take a cut.

ROR on the other hand.....I don't even want to think about what he is going to ask for when his contract is up.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If the opportunity/offer were to arise, although unlikely, would you do it?

Jones goes #1

the team at #2 offers to give us the #2(MacKinnon) for Stazz + our 1st (currently 8)

and how much more would need to be added.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Based on several posts of yours today, it's clear that you want to send a message and prove a point as opposed to winning hockey games.

- Put O'Reilly on the wing
- Give him crap wingers

Now this 26 point season crap... what's the point? Did he put up 26 points last year? No, he didn't, and I didn't see Stastny and Duchene out all year. Ryan O'Reilly EARNED the first line centre spot last year, right from day one of training camp.

Put the emotions to the side, BT. This is a business. It's unfortunate the way you're looking at things.

My point is this, and I've made it in several posts...

I don't have a high comfort level that ROR will be here a year from now.

Therefore, I can't see trading Stastny to free up cap space, or to free up a 1st or 2nd line position.

The "move ROR to wing" post was in response to someone who said none of Dutch, Staz, or ROR will want to play 3rd line Center, and one would need to be moved to Wing. I said move ROR to Wing or let him play 3rd line Center.

At 3rd line Center, he will get the least effective Wingers, and he is more likely to put up 26 points than he is to put up 55 points -- because he won't be getting top 6 time or linemates (unless there is injury).

It's not to prove a point to ROR. It's to keep Duchene and Stastny in the roles that they have earned thus far this year. Neither of them should be demoted simply because a deal was finally struck that keeps ROR in Denver (for however long it might be).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Datsyuk's first 3 years in the league he had 35,51, and 68 points. Not all that far off from ROR(26,26,55). The 1st and 3rd years are only slightly less and ROR led a much worse team in his 3rd year. And the Defensive game between the 2 is even closer especially when you factor in RORs age right now.

Now, Im not saying ROR is actually Pavel Datsyuk in the making right now. But he could very easily become worth every cent of that 6.5M contract.

He could also struggle to put up 15 points this season( I highly doubt this) but it is possible.

Point is, we have no idea of knowing where Oreilly is going to be development wise in 2 years from now. 6.5M could very well be a steal for him in 2 years if he goes and puts up 30 points in 30 games this year, then 78 in 82 next year while being a Selke finalist, or it could be 4M to much if he struggles for both years in which case we probably just let him walk.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Datsyuk's first 3 years in the league he had 35,51, and 68 points. Not all that far off from ROR(26,26,55). The 1st and 3rd years are only slightly less and ROR led a much worse team in his 3rd year. And the Defensive game between the 2 is even closer especially when you factor in RORs age right now.

Now, Im not saying ROR is actually Pavel Datsyuk in the making right now. But he could very easily become worth every cent of that 6.5M contract.

He could also struggle to put up 15 points this season( I highly doubt this) but it is possible.

Point is, we have no idea of knowing where Oreilly is going to be development wise in 2 years from now. 6.5M could very well be a steal for him in 2 years if he goes and puts up 30 points in 30 games this year, then 78 in 82 next year while being a Selke finalist, or it could be 4M to much if he struggles for both years in which case we probably just let him walk.

You and I have a very different definition of "not all that far off".

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I honestly don't think Stastny will go anywhere. I believe he will take a pay cut with his next contract. I'm sure he understands he hasn't come anywhere close to performing up to his contract, so he will take a cut.

ROR on the other hand.....I don't even want to think about what he is going to ask for when his contract is up.

This is what I think happens :

- RoR signs a 5 year - $25M contract extension in July
- Stastny signs a 5 year - $25M contract extension right after
- Duchene signs an 8 year - $44M contract extension right after

- RoR is traded at the deadline :(

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
This is what I think happens :

- RoR signs a 5 year - $25M contract extension in July
- Stastny signs a 5 year - $25M contract extension right after
- Duchene signs an 8 year - $44M contract extension right after

- RoR is traded at the deadline :(

I can definitely see that playing out.

And, in that scenario, I'd rather keep Dutch and ROR, and trade Staz.

It all depends on whether or not Staz and ROR will sign for that, and more importantly, if management can get over the trouble they had getting ROR signed this year.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
My point is this, and I've made it in several posts...

I don't have a high comfort level that ROR will be here a year from now.

Therefore, I can't see trading Stastny to free up cap space, or to free up a 1st or 2nd line position.

The "move ROR to wing" post was in response to someone who said none of Dutch, Staz, or ROR will want to play 3rd line Center, and one would need to be moved to Wing. I said move ROR to Wing or let him play 3rd line Center.

At 3rd line Center, he will get the least effective Wingers, and he is more likely to put up 26 points than he is to put up 55 points -- because he won't be getting top 6 time or linemates (unless there is injury).

It's not to prove a point to ROR. It's to keep Duchene and Stastny in the roles that they have earned thus far this year. Neither of them should be demoted simply because a deal was finally struck that keeps ROR in Denver (for however long it might be).

I actually agree with this. I ALSO like what Mitchell's been able to do as a 3rd line center.

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
RoR-Stastny-Lando <- Dynomyte!! or Stastny-RoR-Lando
Jones-Mitchell-Hejduk
McLeod-Olver-Bordy

That line would be crazy. Stastny has played wing before and I think RoR can easily play wing as well. I would at least TRY IT, if I were Joe Sacco...so having said, it will never happen.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I can definitely see that playing out.

And, in that scenario, I'd rather keep Dutch and ROR, and trade Staz.

It all depends on whether or not Staz and ROR will sign for that, and more importantly, if management can get over the trouble they had getting ROR signed this year.

I think that's the real key because, in reality, why not keep all three??!

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I actually agree with this. I ALSO like what Mitchell's been able to do as a 3rd line center.

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Jones-Mitchell-Hejduk
McLeod-Olver-Bordy

That line would be crazy. Stastny has played wing before and I think RoR can easily play wing as well. I would at least TRY IT, if I were Joe Sacco...so having said, it will never happen.

Agreed but IMO it should be Stastny on RW, I believe that's where he played in college and he's good at making plays off the boards on the right side.

Landeskog - O'reilly - Stastny could be epic.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Jones-Mitchell-Hejduk
McLeod-Olver-Bordy

I like it.

Or, put ROR on Duchene's wing. If it works, they would certainly mend any rift between them, they could both rack up a ton of points, and nobody would have to be traded just because there isn't a top-6 spot for them.

(again, it depends on what ROR and Staz are willing to re-sign/extend for)

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I would want to try keeping O'reilly at center first out of him and Staz\ so that we're putting his defensive abilities to the best possible use.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like it.

Or, put ROR on Duchene's wing. If it works, they would certainly mend any rift between them, they could both rack up a ton of points, and nobody would have to be traded just because there isn't a top-6 spot for them.

(again, it depends on what ROR and Staz are willing to re-sign/extend for)

If Sakic and Forsberg could be linemates, I'm sure ROR and Dutch could as well.

They've shared the ice on the power play haven't they?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm interested in this Landeskog-ROR- Stastny line. That could be a real dynamite line.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm interested in this Landeskog-ROR- Stastny line. That could be a real dynamite line.

This x1000. This line has infinite potential. Landy and ROR are already very good together, Stas and Landy are starting to click.

Landy and ROR would do a very good job of drawing defenders on to them, leaving Stastny with a lot of room to find the open man for good scoring chances or potentially a scoring chance himself.

Seems like it would work almost perfectly with a competent coach. Problem is Sacco is not a competent coach and the only thing he teaches is to grind and cycle, which Stastny is not great at and does not fit his game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Alright, we are all in agreement. TPS call ROR now and tell him to demand it! :yo::laugh::sarcasm:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Agree, and then the Dutch line can stay together. Hejduk-Mitchell-Jones might not even be too bad.

Jones on the left, Hejduk on the right, but yes I think they could reasonably eat up 12 minutes against lesser competition.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Made me think of Mitchell singing in practice:
"Jones to the left of me, Hejduk on the Right, here I am....back in the middle with you" :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad