Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
adater ‏@adater 1m

Avs and O'Reilly have agreed to revisit contract situation this summer, and no disharmony exists. Story up soon on Denver Post

Excellent news i think

What most of us expected even though we wanted a deal done ASAP. That means a few more months of seeing proposals and hearing about his contract.

When I first saw "Avs and O'Reilly have agreed" I got really excited.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
adater ‏@adater 12s
Avs and O'Reilly have agreed to revisit contract situation this summer, and no disharmony exists. Story up soon on Denver Post

I'm assuming that there will be quotes from either side, but it makes me hopeful for a re-signing seeing that there is (apparently) "no disharmony". Which I think we all expected, given how Roy has used O'Reilly and just the importance of him to this team. I'm hopeful.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Bigras, Elliott, Barrie, and Siemens are close to getting ready to fight for a spot. Hope the Avs don't spend big money on a FA dman and force them to deal Stastny or something. It's much easier to replace a crappy dman like Zanon then get rid of an over payed dman.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
adater @adater
After talking with some people, I don't think Avs should worry about losing ROR

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This is fan-freaking-tastic. I was expecting RoR to eventually want to test the UFA market.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There is no real reason for O'Reilly's agent to advice him to negotiate until the summer. After the playoffs when Avs have to give him a qualifying offer or take him to arbitration is the big pressure point where he has maximum leverage.

Plus he will have the rest of the season and playoffs to maximize his value to Avs.

What most of us expected even though we wanted a deal done ASAP. That means a few more months of seeing proposals and hearing about his contract.

I do enjoy the suggestion that there is no way Avs can pay the guy they are currently paying $6.5M for this season $6.5M/year in the future.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This is fan-freaking-tastic. I was expecting RoR to want to test the UFA market!

Unless I'm mistaking your statement to be that you were expecting him to eventually test UFA, there would be no way for him to test it after this season, he would still be an RFA.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Unless I'm mistaking your statement to be that you were expecting him to eventually test UFA, there would be no way for him to test it after this season, he would still be an RFA.

Yep I meant eventually. I felt that RoR would definitely want to test the UFA market the second he has the chance, considering the holdout. If Avs management and RoR have agreed to revisit the contract this summer, it seems promising that a long term deal will result. He clearly won't be traded at least.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've been expecting all along that there is no way O'Reilly would get a new contract this season. There is zero incentive to do so. I'm glad there seems to be at least some understanding they will discuss contract this summer. That means he will not get traded this year at the very least. I think it will work out fine although I'd love for it to happen ASAP I know it is just going to take some time.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
adater ‏@adater 1m

Excellent news i think

Meh, rather they revisit contract situation now instead of the summer.

This doesn't really change anything. The March 5 trade deadline doesn't mean squat when it comes to Radar. They could always just trade him in July if things go south, and after they see what's in/who they get in the UFA market.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oh jeez, I just had a horrible epiphany....

Imagine the other teams' posters when they read this, they'll interpret it as "Obviously O'Reilly and the Avs can't agree on a contract again, so they'll look to dump him for our garbage players!"

:facepalm: I can see it all now. The bad trade proposals, the indignation of our posters over said bad proposals, the name-calling, the Leafs fans chiming in asking if "Kadri should work, right?"...oh the horror!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Here’s the deal with O’Reilly and the Avs: no, they don’t have agreement on a long-term deal right now. The parties, in fact, haven’t talked since the summer when they tried to work something out but couldn’t. But they will talk again after the season is over, and things actually are good right now between the Avs and O’Reilly. There is reasonable optimism he’ll get a new deal this summer and continue his career with the Avs.

Is there a chance things still don’t work out with O’Reilly and somehow he’s gone this summer? I guess, but after talking with people tonight, I don’t think so. The parties are just going to wait ’til summer to talk again, and there’s nothing alarming about that.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2014/01/13/avalanche-and-ryan-oreilly-things-are-good/16427/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Nice to see that they tried to re-sign him in the summer but also disappointing that they couldn't come to an agreement like they did with Duchene and Landeskog.

Dater seems optimistic about O'Reilly sticking around. Sounds like he might have gotten an earful from someone in the Avs organization for constantly bringing this up but at least he got someone to talk about it. Well done, Dater.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I didn't read it as "last summer". Does he mean the summer when the talks went south?

Also, clearly Dater got in trouble over his O'Reilly rants lately. He said he took "some heat" just like when he wrote the blog about Varly.

I'm glad Dater got an update but he didn't have to freak everyone out in his blog to get it.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
O'Reilly:

"I like it here. I want to play here. I want to stay here. But it's just stuff you can't control right now. It's easier when you don't have to worry about that stuff and just play the game, but I don't control it. I just stay out of the business side 'til the season is over."

"I feel comfortable on the wing now. I think, coming in on the forecheck, you're still able to expose guys and take the puck away. Within our system, Patrick does a good job of letting everyone know what they're supposed to do. It's been great playing for him this year, for sure."

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Oh jeez, I just had a horrible epiphany....

Imagine the other teams' posters when they read this, they'll interpret it as "Obviously O'Reilly and the Avs can't agree on a contract again, so they'll look to dump him for our garbage players!"

:facepalm: I can see it all now. The bad trade proposals, the indignation of our posters over said bad proposals, the name-calling, the Leafs fans chiming in asking if "Kadri should work, right?"...oh the horror!

Oh just wait until some Leaf fan turns this into O'Reilly holding out until the summer because he wants out(looking at you, seanlinden.)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The issue won't be solved for a while but we now know two things that were in question

1) O'Reilly won't be traded at the deadline
2) O'Reilly wants to stay in Colorado

Leafs fans can still go crazy with their proposals but they are ignorant if they don't realize they'll be waiting a while.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
The issue won't be solved for a while but we now know two things that were in question

1) O'Reilly won't be traded at the deadline
2) O'Reilly wants to stay in Colorado

Leafs fans can still go crazy with their proposals but they are ignorant if they don't realize they'll be waiting a while.

Even if they realize that, they still put up their crappy proposals. Maybe some of them will go back to same sort Stastny proposals like we gave him to them for some spare parts and add some picks to it.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It will allow the Avs to work on Stastny a bit and maybe add another contract to use as a guide post for the ROR negotiations.

Good news though since I'm finally on the keep them both team even if it is at Dutch level money.

If the Avs can keep their strong forward group and strong goaltending, the defense can be built with quality steady guys #2-6 who fill specific roles, and not necessarily the typical great-elite #1-3 and good #4-6

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
It will allow the Avs to work on Stastny a bit and maybe add another contract to use as a guide post for the ROR negotiations.

Good news though since I'm finally on the keep them both team even if it is at Dutch level money.

If the Avs can keep their strong forward group and strong goaltending, the defense can be built with quality steady guys #2-6 who fill specific roles, and not necessarily the typical great-elite #1-3 and good #4-6

I was just going to post this. I agree 100%. Our superstars are in the offense. Our defense just needs to be serviceable and we're good. Right now it isn't.

I believe Avs can find at least a couple of serviceable (I love that word) d-men in the off-season. The ice time is right there for the taking. It's not that our D is horrible. We just have no depth. That's why our d-men play in bigger roles than they should.

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Here’s the deal with O’Reilly and the Avs: no, they don’t have agreement on a long-term deal right now. The parties, in fact, haven’t talked since the summer when they tried to work something out but couldn’t.

Is that like the summer where he held out, or is that since this past summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad